It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2010

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Thanks Hico - that's the one I was viewing before but it was off line temporarily.

Now it's back on-line I'm none the wiser !
It's sooooo cloudy - no surprises there !

Will it be easier to see at night ? And one more question please....if it is still erupting is it just steam clouds now or is the magma still splurting up ?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
You all might be interested in the thread just posted here

Basically no clear and present danger!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The Icelandic authorities have started evacuation of the population due to severe flooding from melting of the glacier.

Here, in southeast of Norway, the sunset was not out of the ordinary, but there's a certain odor in the air that is new to my nose.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by hico

Thank you for the Update!! Keep Safe!!!!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Massive Glacial Outburst currently underway as previously stated. These events will no doubt be on-going as the Caldera empties then re-fills again over the coming few days.

Cams on the Glacier itself, what you think are clouds is actually the Lahaar itself.

www.vodafone.is...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

Hate to point this out but a Lahar is a volcanic mudflow, a sort of muddy pyroclastic flow.

Take a look at this ash projection

BBC ash report

[edit on 15/4/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Wow, thanks! That animated ash map is awesome.

I was lucky, early this morning after sun up (in Iceland) I was watching Mila cam and the clouds parted a bit to let me see that huge black plume.. just for a few minutes tho..

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Tremors today. Not looking good.

Latest UK Met Office ash map

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterManap

Puterman, I was looking at the same issue on the Tremor graphs earlier but did not post - hate being pounced on!! My feelings are fragile, just like this earth! - anyway - if you look through the graph, we are seeing closer to the AIQ (area in question) - a drop before before blow - we are just coming out of another drop - and things are - well - not looking good and still way high on the charts! - I hope that made sense.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
By a drop u mean like an exhale or inhale ,, exhale being a good thing.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

First of all you all may find this blog interesting particularly as it currently relates to exactly what we are seeing.

This is an extract from Eruptions!

Just got out of a meeting with all the main scientists dealing with this little crisis.

The latest:

- Not sure when it began. Earthquake swarm subsided, replaced with gradual tremor onset. Gradual onset much like the Fimmvorduhals eruption.

- Currently tremor is increasing. There are highs and lows in activity but the general trend is up.

- GPS stations in the area shows a subsidence on Friday following the end of Fimmvorduhals, then a sudden increase on Monday preceeding this eruption. At least one showed a sudden subsidence again immediately before or during the very early part of the new eruption.

- Tephra fall is currently around 5mm depth near to the volcano, and is ongoing and quite heavy now. The plume is blowing east and tephra fall is confined to quite a narrow zone.

- Late afternoon yesterday, the plume was seen to begin to contain darker patches. Darkened very rapidly at around 6-7pm, indicating the onset of full phreatomagmatic activity.

- Tephra fall was initially very dark, either basaltic or basaltic-andesitic although it has not been analysed yet. Reports this morning of a gradual change to lighter colours, grey-brown. Maybe more evolved magmas are making it to the surface? Again, no actual analysis done yet. The university don't even have tephra samples in hand yet due to transport issues.

- Tephra is (was?) very fine-grained and so there are some worries about the fluorine content (smaller particles, larger surface area, more fluorine on surface...).

- 'Best guess' is that the eruption rate is 10x that of the Fimmvorduhals eruption, based on fissure length and the rate of ice melting, but this really is a total guess.

Posted by: James | April 15, 2010 10:07 AM

10x that of the first one! I am not sure exactly about your fall/blow scenario, but at least this scientist says the tremors are still upwards bound - not good I think.

[edit on 15/4/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Grey=Brown colour,, Iron Minineral and ?

potasiam?

[edit on 15-4-2010 by BobAthome]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

I am not a professional - but look - Here and Here. Sorry my last post contained all for Iceland and may have been confusing - but - - --- Oh - Cool for me :-) - thanks for that Puterman, a little bit of confidence.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Anmarie96]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
So if i remember right it was

crack
splinter
now rumble +

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
For all u History buffs:
How does this Volcano relate to the French Revolution?

Correct Answer gets Cake :0 well not really
(

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

The Laki Volcano eruption in Iceland can also be said to have contributed significantly to the French Revolution. After several years of extreme weather in Europe caused by the Laki eruption, the ensuing destruction of crops and livestock brought famine and poverty that built up in France, triggering the Revolution which began in 1789.

www.kwintessential.co.uk...

Cake please?

good one bob

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Thou Shalt Have Cake
So it is said, so it is written

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
A little peek of plume.. the really black cloud is behind the clouds

mila and voda cams working fine, also monitoring satellite cloud coverage to see if there will be breaks in cloudage

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   

looks very angry, to me

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Rewarded with a glimpse of black plume

a curse upon those clouds

[edit on 16-4-2010 by berkeleygal]

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join