It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2010

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Cool, thats calmed me down a tad.

I phoned the UK metoffice to ask what risk there may be. The dude said they`ve only passed info over to the aviation authorities and its up to them to make a choice regarding grounding flights etc.
I told him of the map with the plotted cloud direction, he said there is no reason to doubt the map, but couldn`t tell me anything more as he`s not a volcanologist.

Hahaha, kind put me in mind of Dr Mcoy from Star Trek, "Dammit Jim I`m a doctor not a volcanologist"

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by psilo simon

Good, glad about that.

Just for interest I annotated the ash advisory in case people do not know what FL200 etc is.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/20b8d85408a1.png[/atsimg]

P.S. And this is for 12:00 UTC (Z=Zulu which is the same as UTC or GMT) on the 15th

[edit on 14/4/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
haha for us fools for live in southern Norway your recent posts are a comforting thought in the mean time ill be outside looking for ashfall because guess what im stupid .

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Hmm, I`m still not sure I understand the map. Could you put in layman`s terms please Puter?
THanks.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
in simple terms, the UK is the international "corridor" for the world. To close off our airspace completely would have a knock-on effect worldwide both long-haul and to those stranded in terminals across the world, as flight schedules get evermore disrupted.

Norway, Sweden, Finland have already closed their airspace, and I imagine those that be are now in a COBRA meeting discussing what to do about the UK. Do they simply let Aircraft fly into Ash-clouds fully aware of the aviation danger and risk to passengers, or disrupt millions (for potentially days/weeks) until the situation stabilises. Its a tough call.

Then there's the issue of how to tell the public of the dangers of Ash-fall itself, how to prevent inhaling the Volcanic dust. setting up NHS emergency sanctions to prepare for the onset of Pneumonia cases because of a lack of information if they chose to simply "hope for the best", and avoid wanting to cause a public panic.

This is a serious situation for all of those within the Ash-Fall zone, Ash is effectively pulverised rock that solidifies in your lungs once inhaled. It destroys components and short-circuits electrical devices, its not to be taken lightly even hundreds of miles from the Volcanic source.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
As for the map, just concentrate on the Red-Zone. The Green/Blue colours are simply the lighter ejecta materials higher up in the Flight Levels that become dispersed (hence why they cover a wider area.)

The Red Box contains the heavier ash in the lower Flight Levels, which will fall to Earth once they gain enough weight.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Thanks ROBL.

Right, which authority in the UK would have information for the public? I intend to phone any official body that can shed any light on the risk this poses to the UK. I want to know what I can do to protect my kids.

Puterman, I know you said the cloud is mostly steam, I`m not ignoring your advice there, I`m just an err on the side of caution type of guy

[edit on 14-4-2010 by psilo simon]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by psilo simon

I do not know how long the eruptions will last or the amount of ash and/or gas. I also don't know if it will effect the sister Volcano, but - as history - you should expect it. Now as to you question, I am not sure of the personal you need to contact and hopefully someone else will post that information for you.

I would suggest though you may, before everyone becomes aware - going to you local supply store and obtaining good quality masks for you and yours to start. Then you have your basics that you should always have - Bottled Water, Non Perishable Food etc. - Just in case - to err on the side of caution. - It will help you sleep better

EDIT: Also, you will need Goggles for your eyes, duct tape - - if it gets bad for your windows and doors (I love duct tape), plastic bags - lots - to protect everything you don't want to re-wash - and to protect things with motors, like your computer.

Tomorrow consider buying an extra air filter for your car maybe 2 -.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Anmarie96]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
You could try the BNGS (British National Geological Survey) based up in Scotland. I'd guess there looking at Ashfall deposits right now in light of recent studies on historical eruptions from Hekla and Katla.

There would also be the V.A.A (Volcanic Ash Advisory) to which you'd have to go through the MetOffice to obtain again.

Other than that until a nationwide NOTAM/CAA briefing is released then the public aren't fully much aware, unless you actually know of the current on-going situation.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
Norway, Sweden, Finland have already closed their airspace

This is not true as of now. Only Norway has closed their northern airspace between Bodø and Tromsø.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Thanks Anmarie.
Trust this volcano to go when on a week that I`m broke! arrgh.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Updated Ash-Fall maps are out from the V.A.A (next will be 0600BST.)

Recent updates show the ENTIRE British Isles under the Ash Cloud by 0900BST, circulating around the High Pressure centred out over the West of Ireland bringing the winds in from the North Sea off Norway.

Not great for anyone who isn't aware of this.

www.metoffice.gov.uk...

[edit on 14/4/10 by ROBL240]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
metoffice

THat link is an update of the map of the journey the cloud will take. I`ll be well in it come 0600. Im near Edinburgh.

Puterman should be ok, RObl, you`ll be in the thick of it too by the looks of it.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I already have my bottled water, dust-mask and food stocks prepared for this. I was anticipating Katla more than Eyjaf itself (although I was wary of a possible southern-wall caldera collapse earlier on when the Fissures erupted.)

Eyjaf definitely isn't one to be taken lightly either however, past eruptions have lasted for up to 2 years with continual deposits over Europe. Hekla and Grimsvotn show continual signs of Inflation so there may be yet more potential to come.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
will i be within the ash cloud fallout since Im in the west of southern Norway , i gotta leave for school at 10 am which is why im asking .

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Alysha.angel - look at the map above - where are you on the map - if you are in the red - which appears to be expanding, you are in the immanent ash fallout zone - I do not know how much ash - just be prepared with the above things at least if you can! if nothing else - get a mask and water to start!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Please stay safe everyone

Any idea why if this is so worrying that the MSM aren't reporting on it? I've had a look at the BBC homepage and they have a video of the volcano but that is all.. no weather update/warning, no stories about ash clouds... nothing...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
NATS are on about closing all UK airspace north of the Wash/North Wales by 06z this (Thursday) morning.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by damn_ummmm

Thats what I`m thinking. I at least expected them to mention that the UK would be under the cloud, if only for the novelty of it.
Even if it`s not going to pose a health risk, there is still (I would imagine) going to be loads of ash all over the place.
I can`t quite understand it. Surely ATS can`t be quicker at picking up on this than the mighty BBC?

Anyone else any thoughts on this?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96
reply to post by alysha.angel

Alysha.angel - look at the map above - where are you on the map

Im about 100 miles east of Bergen up in the Mountains my school is 80 miles east of bergen. - if you are in the red - which appears to be expanding, you are in the immanent ash fallout zone - I do not know how much ash - just be prepared with the above things at least if you can! if nothing else - get a mask and water to start!

ill just keep a close eye on it .

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join