It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2010

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
Chaiten cam back on line today. After two days of nothing today we see this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/11b5fe5a34ac.jpg[/atsimg]

I am waiting to see what this looks in daylight.

BTW is there any one out there? Heeeeeeellllllllloooooooooo!!!

lol yeah im here but alas have much on me mind other then volcanoes and quakes lol.

everything looks great ,

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Since I'm a Norwegian, living in the Philippines, I figured out that I could try to give a bit info regarding volcanoes here.

Mayon Volcano reaches 2,460 meters and is the central feature of the Albay Province, of which Legazpi City is the capital, about 300-km southeast of Manila. It must be one of the most beautiful volcanic cones anywhere in the world and is visible for miles around in the otherwise flat landscape of the region.
Mayon must be the Philippines' most active volcano, and has erupted more than fifty times during the last few hundred years.

Then we have TAAL Volcano, located about 60 km SSE of Metro Manila, the capital of the Philippines. It is a complex volcanic system composed of a small volcanic island (Volcano Island), which has been the site of almost all historic activity, located within a 20x30 km lake-filled complex caldera(?) (Taal Lake, in older texts also called Lake Bonbon), one of the great volcano-tectonic depressions of the world.

Thirty three eruptions have been recorded since 1572 at Taal, mostly on Volcano Island. The impacts of these eruptions were largely confined to the intracaldera area. Occasional violent activity, however, such as the 1754 plinian eruption, affected the entire region, including what is now the Metro Manila area with fallout. Some activity, such as the 1749 eruption, were accompanied by crustal disturbance and strong earthquakes, which generated ground fissures and pronounced subsidence that extended across Taal lake.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
volcanoes.usgs.gov...

the current status of all US volcanoes.

GREEN ON THE Board

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.volcano.si.edu...

[edit on 22/2/10 by alysha.angel]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Chaiten Update:

On 11 February, ODVAS-SERNAGEOMIN reported that a camera, installed 800 m from the centre of Chaitén's lava-dome complex in late January, showed incandescence and gas emissions on 28 January. Seismicity had also increased during 21 January-3 February. The Alert Level remained at Red. Based on web camera views and analyses of satellite imagery, the Buenos Aires VAAC reported that a steam-and-gas plume drifted 25 km NW on 11 February at an altitude of 2.4 km (8,000 ft) a.s.l.

Source

I note that the update to the camera we got today (seems to be around once every 24 hrs) shows a considerable amount of emissions in an area that was not apparent on the first screen-shot I took. There is over all on the current picture an increased amount of gas/steam. This one IMHO needs watching. I will post the latest image in a few minutes.

OK. Current image
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/72adaf00c697.jpg[/atsimg]
Previous for comparison
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9ce486d4448e.jpg[/atsimg]

Here you are. This really shows the difference. Dowload the zip file here

This unzips to a .exe file which when you run it shows the two pictures interchanging. Makes the difference quite clear.

Edit: It would seem that Buenos Aires are unconcerned.

Subject: FVAG01 SABM 111930 FVAG01 SABM 111930 2010042 2122 VA ADVISORY DTG: 20100211/1930Z VAAC: BUENOS AIRES VOLCANO: CHAITEN 1508-41 PSN: S4250 W07239 AREA: CHILE-S SUMMIT ELEVATION: 962M ADVISORY NUMBER: 2010/012 INFORMATION SOURCE: WEBCAM DGAC / GOES 12 ERUPTION DETAILS: ONLY PLUME OF GASES AND STEAM OBS ASH DATE/TIME: 11/1900Z OBS ASH CLOUD: VA NOT IDENTIFIABLE FROM SATELLITE DATA REMARKS: PLUME FORMERLY SEEN IN VIS IMAGERY HAS BEEN DISSIPATING NEXT ADVISORY: NO FURTHER ADVISORIES. FURTHER INFORMATION WILL BE ISSUED IF ANY ASH CLOUD IS DETECTED/OBSERVED

(Sorry that is their text message shouting NOT me!
)

Source

[edit on 22/2/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Latest U.S. Volcano Alerts and Updates for Monday, Feb 22, 2010 at 15:48:09 PST

* 2010-02-22 18:05:19 - Kilauea Watch Orange

Activity Summary for past 24 hours: Kilauea fully resumed activity at two locations. At the summit, lava was visible via webcam in a deep pit inset within the floor of Halema`uma`u Crater. At the east rift zone vents, lava flowed through the upper tube system and fed surface flows on the pali and the coastal plain; there are no active ocean entries. Sulfur dioxide emission rates from both summit and east rift zone vents remained elevated.

[edit on 2/22/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by alysha.angel
volcanic activity in iceland

hisz.rsoe.hu...
Iceland?
you sure about that?

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I will make a Factless guess here and say that there will be an increase in volcanic activity for the next few months. And I am going to say that it is due to the above normal recent waves of radiation and wind from the sun the last 4 weeks. couple that with a weakening magnetic field and you get a warmer core. Just a guess... I know Phage will bring some facts to the table to blow this theory outta the water.But.. I just had to say it.

[edit on 22-2-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
I will make a Factless guess here and say that there will be an increase in volcanic activity for the next few months. And I am going to say that it is due to the above normal recent waves of radiation and wind from the sun the last 4 weeks. couple that with a weakening magnetic field and you get a warmer core. Just a guess... I know Phage will bring some facts to the table to blow this theory outta the water.But.. I just had to say it.

[edit on 22-2-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

i believe anything is possible , and as for iceland being active again it was up on the worlds list who knows . things can change .

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

I have been pondering that theory for a few years now.
I am now waiting to see it validated.
Great thread on this topic.

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Hi alysha,

many thanks for setting up this thread. Good idea to have one running and I've got this bookmarked. S&F!

Plus:
reply to post by PuterMan

Yes, that's an excellent find! Thanks! Just trying it out now.

Also thank you PuterMan for the heads-up about this thread that you posted on the Yellowstone thread. Much appreciated.

Mike

posted on Feb, 24 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

the poor thing got lost for a bit there and i had to dig it out but its good idea and hopefully will more input from others other then me and who has posted in it so far all in all will become a great thread for ref on last years volcanic activity a year from now so we can do a decent compairison.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
It seems that the Chaiten web cam is now completely defunct. The last picture I have from it was on the 24th Feb and now I can get nothing at all.

I am concerned that the 8.8 earthquake may have shaken it up a bit.(The volcano not the web cam!)

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
It seems that the Chaiten web cam is now completely defunct. The last picture I have from it was on the 24th Feb and now I can get nothing at all.

I am concerned that the 8.8 earthquake may have shaken it up a bit.(The volcano not the web cam!)

well lets check it

for its entirely possible at this point .....

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I can confirm that at least from where I am, it's not even possible to connect to the server for that camera now.

Is there a readily accessible site which has real-time or near real-time satellite infra-red imagery for that region?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I will see what I can find on the Dundee receiving station. They may have something.

I can get GOES East 075 Infrared pictures but this is a geostationary and shows the whole globe which makes it not so easy to actually see that far down. It does not look as if anything is going on there but I will see if I can find a different satellite.

Found some sort of Chilean seismo service

It really does look as if the whole Chilean official site is down.
www.sernageomin.cl...

This is quite a good blog and has a lot of good volcanism links down the side.

[edit on 28/2/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
heres something more to keep an eye on ..

5.2 near Lake Toba a well known Supervolcano.......

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2f1ece1af622.gif[/atsimg]

[edit on 28/2/10 by alysha.angel]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

heres something more to keep an eye on ..

5.2 near Lake Toba a well known Supervolcano.......

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2f1ece1af622.gif[/atsimg]

That's not good. Toba was pretty bad... didn't it make an extinction of many animals?

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Oh Noes!!!! Not Toba as well!!! I don't think I could cope with that on top of the current action!!

I don't see that one Alysha. Have you got the link? Srub that I found it. They are calling it Northern Sumatra, Just 29 miles from the centre of the dome.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
hey it wasnt my fault !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is there a site out there that monitors Toba? we brave souls need to find it and bookmark it but alas an again i was right.. you can clearing see toba on the map unless your blind.

let me find a better map but its the ring of water with the island in the middle of it that you need to look at and the 5.2 wasnt too far off.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ef465ead2ce8.png[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

hey it wasnt my fault !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is there a site out there that monitors Toba? we brave souls need to find it and bookmark it but alas an again i was right.. you can clearing see toba on the map unless your blind.

Yes it is Northern Sumatra on the feed, and YES there is a site - it's called Volcano Watch 2010

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/60dc9131d147.png[/atsimg]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join