It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2010

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by PennyQ

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c67c2d88f01c.jpg[/atsimg]

News stories, you have to translate from Icelandic

www.ruv.is...

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Nope, that is the second one. This is a third one and it has not hit the news yet.

The location of it is approximately the lat/lon of the first quake in the list (the latest quake) I posted. The map you show has the original and the second, but NOT this one.

Edit: I can't get the series of pics I have into a GIF file - way too large and it fails in Windows movie maker, so I uploaded the series (from 8pm to dark) so you can look at them in preview. It is 15mb and you can download them from my 4shared site.

I suppose it is possible it is the end of a lava flow. Time will tell.

[edit on 4/4/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

He said the fire department had also received reports that several houses near the volcano Cerro Prieto -- about 19 miles from the quake’s epicenter -- sank into the ground as water rose up around them.

Link

Quake/Volcano related... I wonder if that quake could stir that volcano into life? Cerro Prieto is used for geothermal power apparently, amongst other things, it hasn't been recorded in history for eruption.

Opinion? Could sinkholes near a volcano after a major earth quake be bad signs?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Is something building in Iceland?

Take a look at these tremor plots, in particular HVO and HAU and compare now to the time of the original and second fissure eruptions.

It is now 18:54 BST and the plots have changed. HVO is still going up. HAU has turned back down.

[edit on 5/4/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Mother Nature came by and dumped a lot of new snow on that area today..

Cameras were obscured by clouds all day, hardly any visibility!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Where are ya'll at

Útsýni frá Fimmvörðuhálsi
is looking quite surreal this morning.

eldgos.mila.is...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Like I said, surreal!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fc956c5ed7e5.jpg[/atsimg]

screen cap about 6 minutes ago

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Well I am here! Yes it is rather pretty in a weird sort of way.

I am still not liking the look of the plots. See here In particular HVO and HAU are still up, and nearly back to eruption levels.

I was just writing this as you put the piccy up. The other camera is off effectively though.

[edit on 6/4/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Well I am here! Yes it is rather pretty in a weird sort of way.

I am still not liking the look of the plots. See here

I was just writing this as you put the piccy up. The other camera is off effectively though.

Hey puterman - I'm not used to looking at those tremor plots - are you able to easily explain what we're looking at and what it is you're not liking?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   

The other camera is off effectively though.

I know, it's calling out for its human. Just happened because I was going to screenshot that view and by the time I got my PSP up that view was obscured.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
not sure if this has been posted but some activity in alaska.

Situation Update No. 1
On 2010-04-06 at 03:12:33 [UTC]

Event: Volcano Activity

Situation:

A swarm of small earthquakes began Monday at a volcano near Anchorage in what scientists said was a warning that Mount Redoubt could be waking from its slumber. "It is reminding us that it is an active volcano," said Rick Wessels, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey in Anchorage. The swarm of small quakes started early in the day near the summit of Mount Redoubt, about 100 miles southwest of Anchorage, with a regular pattern often seen when magma is moving inside a volcano, Wessels said. Researchers plan to fly through the steam plume of the volcano later this week and take measurements of three chemical compounds linked to volcanic activity — sulfur dioxide, carbon dioxide and hydrogen sulfide. Scientists do not know if the earthquakes will lead to the volcano again becoming explosive, but they said that was a heightened possibility. Last year, the volcano rumbled and grumbled for months before exploding on Jan. 26, at times producing huge ash plumes and sending mud flows down its flanks. It finally quieted in late September, but there was a similar episode of increased seismic activity in December. Then came Monday. "We were going along quietly and all of a sudden, boom, we started getting these small earthquakes," said Steve McNutt, a University of Alaska Fairbanks research professor. Mount Redoubt is monitored by seven seismometers. Last year, Mount Redoubt awoke after a magnitude-5.7 earthquake at the mouth of Cook Inlet. The volcano followed that period of unrest with 19 significant eruptions over several weeks in March and April in which it sent ash plumes as high as 65,000 feet and cloaked parts of south-central Alaska in up to a half-inch of ash. Residents donned face masks and covered their cars and trucks to keep the ash off the finish and out of the engines. Mount Redoubt also erupted in 1989 and 1990. Wessels said the current earthquakes were not connected to Sunday's magnitude-7.2 quake in Mexico just south of the U.S. border. "We wouldn't expect there to be any connection given the distances," he said. Alaska is the most seismically active state in the country. In 1964, it experienced a magnitude-9.2 earthquake near Anchorage, the strongest earthquake ever recorded in North America.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by vortexcmd

Thanks for posting that vortexcmd, I was going to, got sidetracked.

I have a link for Redoubt web cam, will find it and add it here.

www.avo.alaska.edu...

[edit on 6-4-2010 by berkeleygal]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4fecc7d43297.png[/atsimg]

The red line gives you a visual on the intensity of the tremors, which as you can see are at the previous earthquake level. Note this is the intensity of the tremors that we are talking about.

This increase in intensity happened around the time I spotted the possible new fissure, but until the weather clears a bit more it is not possible to see if that is a new vent or just lava flow.

Either way something is getting more intense down under there somewhere.

I am trying to get location co-ordinates of these instruments because unless you know where they are it is difficult to say what is going on.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Excellent - really appreciate you posting that - much clearer to me now

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   

The strange thing is that this happens every night. In the morning the cam is pointing down into the valley floor.

At least it is too high up for tourists to get at it I think. Did you happen to be watching when on of the people waving to mum apparently pulled the cable out? The camera went disconnected for about 30 seconds. They must have noticed and plugged it back in.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   

If you have Quake Data it is one of the cams on the menus.

It is a bit murky at present. I guess dawn is just breaking.

Hut is a better cam when you can see any of them!!

[edit on 6/4/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   

I wonder if cam gets weighed down with snow overnight so in the morning it's slipped down? Probably brushed off during the day.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I suppose that is possible but I don't think it is that snowy, and I also think that these are moved remotely.

My thoughts are that they point it down late at night to give the lens a bit of protection - but I am just guessing. If that is the case then they often forget to re-adjust it in the morning so you may be right.

Or maybe it just has a dodgy mount that slips? Either way it is annoying.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   

It is a bit murky at present. I guess dawn is just breaking.

no no murk, its dark. Only 4:30 a.m. here, no dawn for a few hours. I kept a watch on redoubt last year when it got active.

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join