It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2010

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Ah ok

That dome (the black one to the right) has been spewing stuff all night and into this morning... last night it was spectacular with plumes of what looked like lava showing bright red in the night sky - watch the webcams at dark and you'll see what I mean

The webcam page has had the little journal updated for this morning:-

Thursday, March 25th 2010

8:40AM - Yesterday we got some excellent action on webcam 2. Weather today is good so we expect more today, especially in the afternoon. Volcanic activity remains strong according to scientists.

[edit on 25-3-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I've bookmarked the page.

I'll defiantely be watching it tonight.

It's amazing to be able to watch this in real time. YAY for modern technology

Edit: I'm totally hooked now

[edit on 25-3-2010 by skitzspiricy]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Hooked? Phew, not just me then
- I work from home so have been glued to the cams all day (during their night). Looking forward to more activity and keeping a beady on Katla, too!

The Hekla cam has been moved yet again - it's like a mystery tour!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
9:40AM - The volcanic eruption at Fimmvorduhals has created a new mountain of volcanic lava and rock. Speculations are now on what to name it.

reykjavik.mydestinationinfo.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Hooked? I been staring at cam 2 for hours. This is extremely cool. I am fascinated by the steam/smoke ? cloud shapes. And I see the stuff shooting up from the lava fissure too

Yes lol , hekla is a magical mystery tour. When its got the silo building in view I fantasize about living there. with food, cable tv and internet and fire I could stay there a long time heheh

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Something easier to pronounce then Eyjafjallajokull i hope

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Eyjafjallajokull (AYA-feeyapla-yurkul)

wow, my pronunciation of that was way off!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by damn_ummmm

Um read the text folks. That refers to the lava dome collapse in February. The Telegraph did at least mention Feb but the Daily Mail gave no dates at all and the impression that if was now. My partner told me about the Mail one last night and I spent a few minutes trolling round and found nothing so concluded it was old news. The British papers are extremely good at reporting old news on line!

Edit: A wee link for ye.

[edit on 25/3/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Chile earthquake moves plates over by 10ft

The massive magnitude 8.8 earthquake that struck the west coast of Chile last month moved the entire city of Concepcion at least 10 feet to the west, and shifted other parts of South America as far apart as the Falkland Islands and Fortaleza, Brazil. These preliminary measurements, produced from data gathered by researchers from four universities and several agencies, including geophysicists on the ground in Chile, paint a much clearer picture of the power behind this temblor, believed to be the fifth-most-powerful since instruments have been available to measure seismic shifts. Buenos Aires, the capital of Argentina and across the continent from the quake's epicenter, moved about 1 inch to the west. And Chile's capital, Santiago, moved about 11 inches to the west-southwest. The cities of Valparaiso and Mendoza, Argentina, northeast of Concepcion, also moved significantly.

Well worth a read and trying to get your head round!!

I have posted this in Quake Watch, but then I saw on the right hand side of the article that the area I have been looking at below Chaiten - i.e between Chaiten and Melimayou has also shifted over. This may not be good news for the volcanoes we were discussing.

Edit: This is seriously humbling! Imagine in the forces needed to do this!

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
As I suspected last night they have definitely moved the camera slightly which is why I could not get the night time and daytime pictures to overlay properly.

Edit: Just had a closer look and what they have done is zoomed in a bit so I definitely won't be able to create a proper overlay.

Annoying!!

Anyway the area of growth is definitely the area on the right hand side of the cam shot.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Yes this web cam is awesome - distracting - just witnessed minor ash explostion - - oh - there it goes again - to cool for words!!!

Okay - now I am seeing lava spewing

[edit on 25-3-2010 by Anmarie96]

LMAO - Now we got kids jumping up and down in front of the cam waving and smiling. Definately more lava spewing then before

[edit on 25-3-2010 by Anmarie96]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Great Video......

http.ruv.straumar.is...

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Hey thanks PuterMan, I tried to edit my post to say it was not a current event but wasn't able to.

And thanks for the link

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Huge orange flames this morning

mila.is...

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
On Hekla cam (right now - 9.11am GMT) is that an eruption cloud or a storm cloud rising up?

Oh, and here's a useful list of volcano web cams

www.webcamplaza.net... (click on Volcano - wouldn't link fully)

[edit on 26-3-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
The Eyjafjallajökull Cam is showing this morning two distinct seperate clouds of steam rising.

The original event only showed a 1-3km long eruption coming through the ice.

The current WebCam Here Clearly shows that another eruption is taking place, or the current one has broken through the ice at a seperate point.

So it looks like it is increasing in activity, or the original observations did not fully expose the amount of material being ejected from the first observed event at Eyjafjallajökull.

reply to post by PuterMan

Excellent information and find thanks,

Moved by 10ft, wow the forces involved are soo huge its mind boggling.

Kind regards,

Elf

Edit to add, I posted the above and looked back to the cam, now only the original event is showing clouds of steam.

In the cam on the far left you have the non ice covered ridge, dark grey, about half the way between the end of that ridge, on the start of the ice covered part, to the current event as seem emitting steam, there was for at least 20 mins today 10am till 10.20 am Uk time a large emmission of steam equal to the current event rising from the ice at the point I mention. Worth keeping an eye on those watching, and recording anything seen.

[edit on 26-3-2010 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
The second Eruptions emmissions are now at this time clearly visible, it may even be due to the amount of material a larger eruption than the original.

Its seems to be coming from the other side of the visible ridge, and over the last couple of minutes the WebCam has been moved back to bring it in focus, so I am not the only one seeing this phew ! lol

Here

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
There seems to be 3 seperate smoke/steam plumes

A lot clearer on cam

Cam

[edit on 26-3-2010 by skitzspiricy]

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

The one on the far right is part of the original eruption, that is the one to its immediate left, imho.

If you watch it closely, you will notice a very distintive Yellow Haze just above it sometimes. It is the gaseous part of the original vent where we see the steam coming from, and appears to be releasing lots of sulphur.

Good Pic to highlight what I was saying, the picture on the left seems to be the new event. I am inclined to think they are linked, maybe sharing the same magma chamber, when the second one started the original was much more eruptive than observed since inception, then about 10 mins after the second one erupted the original stopped any steam release for a good 5 minutes, indication the release of the material from the second event lowered the pressure driving the original event (second&third pictures from left) on the great above posters pic.

It would be great to see footage not hidden by the ridge of the actual place this second event is coming from and it size etc.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Mar, 26 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I think the clouds descended, unless of course it is volcanic smoke.

Can't see a darned thing. The other cam show a bit of sunshine, but shows it as very grey over the mountains.

Edit: Hey they have shifted the site for those cams. My partner just pointed this out to me. Look at this site Really cool, you can go back a couple of days and see what you missed.

[edit on 26/3/2010 by PuterMan]

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join