It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Golden Retriever Saves Boy From Cougar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Austin Forman, 11, was gathering firewood in his backyard at about 5 p.m. PT Saturday when his dog, Angel, started acting strangely.

Angel started following him to and from the woodshed, Austin said, almost as though she was checking to make sure he was OK.

Suddenly, Angel ran toward Austin and jumped over a lawn mower — right into the path of a charging cougar.

"I knew at that moment that I would have to go get help, otherwise [Angel] wouldn't have any hope," Austin said.

As Angel fought the cougar, Austin ran inside, where his mother called 911. When the RCMP arrived on scene minutes later, they found the cougar under the back porch of the house, chewing on Angel's neck.

An officer shot the cougar, killing it instantly. Austin said it was the first time he'd ever seen a cougar in the yard.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/38810bef55bf.jpg[/atsimg]

Very brave dog this boy has, I imagine he will be one spoiled pup for the rest of his/her life.

Stories like this always get to me.

Visit the Source for the full story.

[edit on 1/3/2010 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
The selflessness of many animals always amazes me. Rarely do we see the same quality in our own species. I imagine if the dog hadn't been there, the kid probably wouldn't be around to tell that story now.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Thanks OP

the same dog that mauled me when I was 7 went on to save me from a large loose pitbull
when I was 14... my pooch died from the attack a month later due to a disease it contracted from the stray.

After the event when I was seven I begged my parents not to put down the dog even though I nearly lost my right eye and lost a considerable amount of blood.

Looking back I am glad I put up such a stink...

That was a brave dog in the OP, I was hoping the dog would have escaped, not all stories
end 100% peachy I suppose.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red
Thanks OP

the same dog that mauled me when I was 7 went on to save me from a large loose pitbull
when I was 14... my pooch died from the attack a month later due to a disease it contracted from the stray.

After the event when I was seven I begged my parents not to put down the dog even though I nearly lost my right eye and lost a considerable amount of blood.

That was a brave dog in the OP, I was hoping the dog would have escaped, not all stories

You did see that the dog lived, right? I'd say this story did indeed end "100% peachy".

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by warbird03

Originally posted by Janky Red
Thanks OP

You did see that the dog lived, right? I'd say this story did indeed end "100% peachy".

I missed that part I guess-

YES!!!!

Extra awesome story now!

thanks

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
retrievers are brave dogs.. i had one and it saved me from my neighbors mutt one time. my neighbor was a stubborn old man who refused to patch up a fence blocking our yards and his dog slipped under the fence and started snapping at me (i was out side on the trampoline) so then my dog ripped his collar since he cant break a steel chain and tore the dog up. if my dad hadnt stopped my dog he probably would have killed the mutt. suspicously a few days later my dog was poisoned...
good old Cj rest in peace

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I had a German Shepard cross Labrador named Ming (he was meant to be "The Merciless" but he was a big sook). I was walking with my Nephew in a Pram and was bringing my nephew home to my sisters place. Approx two houses before her place two stray cattle dogs came out and started attacking me. I love dogs but these two were wild and as I was kicking them into the air (I'm big) they were literally turning in the air and heading straight back at me.

I was shouting out for help. Next thing I knew my dog had jumped the fence and he's dived in between The baby and the cattle dogs and taken a defnsive stance.

The cool part which I was really proud of was that he stayed in between the baby and the attacking dogs the whole attack. They tried flanking and he stayed his ground working at both dogs when they came to him.
We were there for a couple of minutes fighting these freeking dogs off.

Never been so proud of a dog in my life.

I was telling my Mum about this and she had lived in Mackay in Northern Queensland as a kid.

She said her brother and sisters were playing under the house one time and a Taipan snake attacked them. Their Labrador jumped in and saved them but died from multiple bite it had received from the snake.

She said it was devastating but it had definately saved them from death.

You have to love the courage and heart of dogs!

PS: The dog that fought a Cougar deserves a medal!! Awesome story.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by FirstRonin]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Not surprised at all at this. Dogs are man's best friend after all.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
thanks for all the storys people.

very nice to hear of events like this.

I'll add mine now, although it not as good as the other story's told by members.

I was 4(ish) and just got into riding bikes (with training wheels) so I'm in the front yard with my mom and our German Shepard shatsae, it was a nice day and i decided to hop on my cool new bike.

My mom was distracted by something as i started to ride down the drive way.

The way the cars were parked in the street, our driveway was not visible to cars coming down the street (not our parked cars, neighbors parked cars).

So i start cruising down the drive way into the path of an on-coming car, my mom doesn't notice me, but shatsae did, she ran over and latched onto my right training wheel, bringing me to a stop ten feet or so before the end of the drive way, i was angry at the dog for a second (thought she was trying to play with me when i was trying to ride) but a second later the neighbors minivan went by fairly quick (for a small street). The dog had saved me from being splattered, and my mom turned just as he grabbed the bike and saw the entire event unfold (why my memory of the event is so clear).

My parent went out and bought shatsae a couple steaks that night.

[edit on 1/4/2010 by Alaskan Man]

top topics

join