It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kepler: The Big Reveal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
" MOFFETT FIELD, Calif. - Kepler Mission scientists will reveal the space telescope's latest discoveries at a news briefing in Washington on Monday, Jan. 4, 2010. "

kepler.nasa.gov...

there is so much going on right now! I love 2010!!!!!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Hmm, I wonder what kind of information they're revealing now. I can't see any clues on that link, but being titled "The Big Reveal" makes me curious.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by warbird03]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I will make a prediction.
The big reveal will be that Kepler has confirmed the existance of many many planets in near solar sistems, and that some of them might support life as we know it on Earth.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
could it be related to?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by rush969

Chances are you're right. We can hope and dream though, right?

Edit: What exactly are we supposed to be seeing, kyle43?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by warbird03
reply to post by rush969

Chances are you're right. We can hope and dream though, right?

Edit: What exactly are we supposed to be seeing, kyle43?

right side of the screen, this strikes me as odd because no other body has appeared like that on the LASCO C2 for a while. I thought it might be Venus but I thought Venus would appear behind the corona...

One love!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
This may be interesting! Are they going to reveal a new planet?

On that link they have those 3 photos. Top one might be an indication on how we used to think the earth was the center of the universe. The middle photo is how we think the sun as being the center, so what is the bottom photo? What is red? Mars? Planet X?

Those Galactic Federation people are saying that the 1st 15 days of 2010 are going to be "the greatest changes that Planet Earth has ever seen in all of her Story."

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
The coronal photo shows planets close to the Sun at present. Here's a current chart of the sky and the approximate closeness of Mercury and Venus to the Sun as of noon today. Nothing strange here, folks. The Sun is the little yellow dot between Venus and Mercury.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e078c8a70d15.gif[/atsimg] Image courtesy of heavens above www.heavens-above.com...
Regarding the immediately preceding post, the Galactic Federation was wrong via Blossom Goodchild. No 2000 mile wide UFO appeared last year. I don't put any trust in anything the GF says.

[edit on 1/3/2010 by Jim Scott]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
So the Pandoram begins......

Watch the movie you will understand.

Pandoram

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
For those wondering what the reveal will be, I recommend googling the Kepler Mission.

Simply put, the Kepler Mission has put an advanced telescope into orbit around the sun. It's programmed to identify and photograph planets similar to Earth (size and distance from star) in the local region of our galaxy.

So the results will most likely be that they've found hundreds of Earth-like planets in our galactic neighborhood, thus expanding the possibility of life elsewhere in the universe.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by paradigm619

If that is indeed what they announce, it shouldn't be much of a surprise for most of us here I would think. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see for now though.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott
The coronal photo shows planets close to the Sun at present. Here's a current chart of the sky and the approximate closeness of Mercury and Venus to the Sun as of noon today. Nothing strange here, folks. The Sun is the little yellow dot between Venus and Mercury.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e078c8a70d15.gif[/atsimg] Image courtesy of heavens above www.heavens-above.com...
Regarding the immediately preceding post, the Galactic Federation was wrong via Blossom Goodchild. No 2000 mile wide UFO appeared last year. I don't put any trust in anything the GF says.

[edit on 1/3/2010 by Jim Scott]

I have a question on this, why is Venus in the LASCO C3 in a different area then the C2, and at different times!? I also strongly believe it can't be Mercury because it is shown in a different spot on the C3.

There is something strange to see. Its not everyday so many questions can be raised about the images in question! Hold out a little longer before any official claims are made!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
My favorite quote from one of the scientists back at the beginning of the project: "we probably won't find E.T. but we might find his home" awesome. Anyway, I suspect that the announcement will be about new planets found, as well.

jra

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Kepler has only been in space for about 9 months. They're probably just releasing information on what has happened so far with the mission. Possibly some early detections of large exoplanets.

Lets not get all hyped up again. This seems to happen so often on ATS, when there is going to be some announcement from a NASA mission. A lot of people here begin to get a little too carried away. Kepler hasn't been in space long enough to confirm Earth sized planets in Earth like orbits, so I wouldn't expect them to be talking about that. Plus they would need to have multiple transits to confirm that the planet is there. And if it's an Earth sized planet in an Earth like orbit, 2 to 3 transits would mean 2 to 3 years worth of observation. If anything, like said before, they've spotted some big, fast orbiting exoplanets.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jra

True, but usually when they announce some small bit of information, it's not called "The Big Reveal".

As I said before, we'll simply have to wait and see. Don't take it the wrong way, but I really hope you're wrong
although I suspect you aren't.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
anyone know what time itll be on in england time?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I understand the image in the source link like this: The green zone is the Goldilocks zone where liquid water may form. The diff stars have diff zones for this Goldilocks zone as designated in the pic.

IMO they will reveal new planets found within the Goldilocks zone of remote stars. In other words, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED for Kepler.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I'm not too knowledgeable about timezones but I believe it will be at about 6:00 P.M. GMT if that helps.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Thank You , I would have missed that announcement if not for this thread . Thank You again

As people have suggested they will probably announce that there are much more earth like planets in our close neighborhood than we previously thought .

[edit on 4-1-2010 by Thill]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
They will announce at 1 pm EST and 6 pm in London, England.

www.timeanddate.com...

Simple

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join