It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comparing Y2K to 2012

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
One thing i find annoying other then the users themselves are the skeptics about 2012 and its non-significance, Most are so quick so compare this to the year 2000 when i never herd anything about the end of the world when it came to y2k. The only thing i herd was that computers wouldn't be able to translate the switch from the 19 to the 20.. nothing to do with the end of the world.. Not only was Y2K about a computer glitch and not the end of the world the Y2K theory never had any evidence that the number switch would actually cause banks to go down and computers to crash.. It was over hyped on the media and again the media never mentioned anything about the end of the world when they talked about Y2K.. so how can you compare such a stupid thing to 2012..

It feels like this whole swine flu thing.. Over hype about a non existent flu just to get people to do a bunch of stupid # and spend money...

I'm starting to think Y2K & Swine Flu both were strategically mentioned to numb peoples thoughts even further, so when something actually significant comes up people wouldn't even think twice, and again compare...

There is a # load of evidence pointing towards 2012 and that it is significant, not in a end the world type of deal but a significance that .. i just dont understand how these people are so stupid to relate these events... its like people who say britney spears is the new madonna,, hello look what happens,, they all ate their words.

vent done.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by hautmess

Brittany Spears is the new Madonna ??

2012 remindsme of a scene in a old Monty Python movie when they show

Moses coming off the mountain with 3 tablets.

He proclaims , "with these 15 (drops a tablet ) , With these 10

Commandments "

Its just a calendar date ending, Time to get a new Calender

Crisis Over

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48

Brittany Spears is the new Madonna ??

Yes you herd it everywhere in the media, and again the media was wrong.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

THE NATION; The Year 2000 Problem. The Millennium Bug. Y2K. By any name, the looming crisis in computers has everyone wondering how bad things will be. Here's what the experts say. But today, a growing majority of the public rejects Y2K disaster scenarios as just too doomsday to be treated quite that seriously, according to a new USA TODAY/National Science Foundation Poll. "Complacency is wrong," says John Koskinen, the federal Y2K czar, assigned by the White House to oversee government's response to the computer bug. "This is a problem that doesn't solve itself." Dec 31, 1998

link

The United States government spent $8.8 billion dollars on Y2K fixes. Private U.S. businesses shelled out an estimated $100 billion dollars to prepare for the bug. Worldwide, Koskinen said that a half-trillion dollars had been spent to ward off Y2K computer problems. January 2, 2000

archives.cnn.com...

Worldwide a half-trillion dollars spent on y2k. I wonder if there is a 2012 fund yet?

[edit on 3-1-2010 by jackflap]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Y2K involved a stupid computer bug / 2012 involves an apocalyptic event....i hope the prophets are right, 2012 couldn't come soon enough!!!!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

it's the end of a cycle. not the world. a cycle.

much like from spring to fall, from year to year. a cycle will end. for energy cannot be killed.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I think people mainly compare them because they assume that, like y2k, it will ultimately end up a big nothing.

Personally I hope SOMETHING happens, but I'll enjoy the fireworks either way.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I still don't get why people compare an essentially man-made technology crisis to an ancient calendar which has been around for thousands of years and is largely expected to be a natural event. I, for one, don't see many similarities.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
You can NEVER compare Y2K to 2012 ! EVER!

Y2K IS MAN MADE, and we thought something bad would happen base on man made product.

WHILE

The Year 2012 is BASE ON THE NATURE OF THINGS, THE NATURE OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM, SOMETHING THAT IS A NATURAL EVENT AND NOT IN OUR CONTROL.

Those who say 2012 is bs and compare it to y2k is ignorant.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by hautmess
One thing i find annoying other then the users themselves are the skeptics about 2012 and its non-significance,

So because they do not follow your conspiracy theory about 2012 you find people annoying?

There is a # load of evidence pointing towards 2012 and that it is significant

actually there is zero evidence pointing to 2012 as a year of any special significance, it will be a year much like any other

.. i just dont understand how these people are so stupid to relate these events

I think the same way towards those that think 2012 has any special meaning, or anything special will happen then

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
There's no evidence of anything happening in 2012, just a bunch of BS. The only reason this particular doomsday theory is so largely known and debatted is the internet.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   

You clearly weren't working in IT in the late 90s then. Millions of developers were working round the clock to ensure your ATMs kept working on 1/1/00, that your flights weren't delayed, that your home computer didn't start deleting all your files.

Saying it is a non-event only speaks of your ignorance of the subject. Saying it was a non-event in the fashion you did only speaks of your arrogance.

There was a LOT of evidence for the Y2K bug, and there is no evidence for the 2012 'predictions'. Saying otherwise, on either count, is a lie.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackflap

Worldwide a half-trillion dollars spent on y2k. I wonder if there is a 2012 fund yet?

[edit on 3-1-2010 by jackflap]

Not sure, but i do know there are plenty of taxpayer funded institutions out there that are having to deal with the effects of cosmophobia on the human brain. Even some suicide hotlines are preparing to handle the rise in suicides caused by the fear of 2012.
Sure its nice to help out those less stable among us, but really is that where you want your tax dollars headed. Seems rather unnecessary.

Not to mention NASA has already spent some time on this in an effort to stop other people wasting NASA's time, and we know that their taxpayer funded time does not come cheap.
Just a couple of things really, i'm sure there is plenty more money being wasted on this also.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by pazcat]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
What a good thread, I saw the title and had to post.

Y2K and 2012 how can you possibly compare them? its all very good looking at it from one level i.e Y2K (computer problem) - 2012 (some so called prophecy) the truth is there are so many levels to look at these things and the most fundamental of them all is through research!

I was having the same conversation with someone earlier about 2012, the response I got was "well its another money making scheme where people will sell all they have thinking its the end of the world and when it passes the government will just reap the debts" when I mentioned that this 'prophecy' has been documented by many civilizations around the world miles apart from each other, the response I received was "Oh"

IMHO - the way I see it, people do not want to know about life changes, they don't want to know about cycles of the earth, as long as they have their mobile phone and television they are content -

That my friends is why the world is like it is now, technology has surpassed personal education and turned the majority in to slovenly uneducated Hu-mans.

Edit: to add, I believe that this year and next year will be very interesting in regards to ET/UFO activity (bluebeam anyone?) this activity around the world will change peoples views on 2012. Not because the end of the world is nigh but because Life will be seen in a different light.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by franspeakfree]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
"sanchoearlyjones"

- To correct your signature

On topic: Zero evidence? How about a solar maximum around the years 2011-2013? How about the recently confirmed magnetosphere that is weakening?

There is some evidence, but it doesn't necessarliy mean it is related to the prophecy. We might be making that connection so that it fits our prophecy.

[edit on 5-1-2010 by sticky]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by sticky
"sanchoearlyjones"

you are correct but.......Santo = holy/saint in spanish to me this guy knew his stuff and he was a very valued member on this site, thats why I use santo.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by warbird03
I still don't get why people compare an essentially man-made technology crisis to an ancient calendar which has been around for thousands of years and is largely expected to be a natural event. I, for one, don't see many similarities.

Egg-mother-fvcking-ZACTLY.

I don't know how many times I've had to say this exact same thing.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by davesidious

You clearly weren't working in IT in the late 90s then. Millions of developers were working round the clock to ensure your ATMs kept working on 1/1/00, that your flights weren't delayed, that your home computer didn't start deleting all your files.

Saying it is a non-event only speaks of your ignorance of the subject. Saying it was a non-event in the fashion you did only speaks of your arrogance.

There was a LOT of evidence for the Y2K bug, and there is no evidence for the 2012 'predictions'. Saying otherwise, on either count, is a lie.

1) correct - Clearly, it WAS an 'event' - anyone saying it wasn't is obviously not thinking it through.

2) right again - There WAS lots of evidence for a Y2K bug - none of which implied an apocalyptic end of times. the problem was all man made

3) Say what?! "No evidence for 2012 'predictions'?" Okay, dude - you clearly are not spending enough time in other areas of this site - the SCIENTIFIC / HISTORICAL / GEOLOGICAL evidence is everywhere, and IT is entirely natural / cosmic.

Don't get any sand in your nose.

[edit on 1/5/2010 by SquirrelNutz]

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by franspeakfree

Originally posted by sticky
"sanchoearlyjones"

you are correct but.......Santo = holy/saint in spanish to me this guy knew his stuff and he was a very valued member on this site, thats why I use santo.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday about him. Quality threads!

He is missed.

Nobody debunked my evidence yet? Strange!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
The similarity is that people were anticipating a catastrophe of sorts. And that's it. There is otherwise no comparison.
Y2K was a man made electronic glitsch. It was feared our computers would go haywire when confronted with the roll over to 2000. Technicians worldwide worked very hard to avoid it.
Here you have various prophecies which some say corroborate with the Mayan calendar, known planetary positions and past cycles of destruction..
I don't know what, if anything, will happen. But anyone who uses Y2K as evidence that nothing will happen deserves to have MORON stamped on his/her head.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join