It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pretty Scary New National Guard TV Advertisement

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Your first duty is your MISSION
not your country
national guard?

Defend you country
or
Join the action?

What message does this ad convey?

They tried being as cinematic as possible with this Ad
this is war, people are dying and their message is "join the action"?

Disgusting!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Three things a good NCO always takes care of:

Mission
Men
Myself

The "Mission" is defense of the country.

(And actually, the National Guard is a state-run entity, so maybe it should be "defense of the state"?)

[edit on 3-1-2010 by jerico65]

[edit on 3-1-2010 by jerico65]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
(And actually, the National Guard is a state-run entity, so maybe it should be "defense of the state"?)

Past tense!
Where are most NA's right now?
overseas!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Past tense!
Where are most NA's right now?
overseas!

Nope, they are still a state organization. That hasn't changed.

Tho I always remember a sign that was photographed on a vehicle in A-stan at the beginning. It said, "One weekend a month and two weeks a year my ass!"

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
This plays like a trailer for the latest hollywood movie.
I'm always amazed and shocked when I hear/see american ads, it's always the same reaction: "Wow.. the radio ads in the GTA games is pretty close to reality", then I start thinking about the future and the movie idiocracy..

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I don't see nothing scary or disgusting about it.

It's an ad. Most people nowadays don't even pay attention to ads.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

It should be balanced a bit, don't you think?

Maybe show a scene of flag draped caskets,

Vet in a wheelchair,

Not all macho with no consequence

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I really have NO IDEA what your saying is scary about this ad? That commercial was pretty simple to understand....guess with paranoia comes a different perception.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

If you don't know the risk the military entails by now without them spelling it out for you, something is definitely wrong with you.

Not directed at you just a you in general.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
The ad implies that by joining the national guard you are helping families recover from disasters and protecting them against vague threats. It also implies that the discipline of those who join is increased. The ad flashes words like "honor", "citizen", and "duty" as to say that is what the national guard values. I see nothing wrong with at all with glorifying those things, "Hollywood style".

Helping families recover from disasters is good. And that is something the national guard does, so no false advertising there. Discipline is another positive trait and that is increased at least in the people I know who have joined the army. So no false advertising there either.

Everything else I noticed aside from the recovery assistance and discipline element is too vague to mean anything. The only thing bad about it is the unspecific nature of the comments. I'm sure they designed it that way... so each viewer would make their own associations.

I really don't see anything at all wrong with the ad and would re-iterate again that helping people recover from disaster is a great pick for "Hollywood" glorification.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
It's called deification of the military.

On a scale never seen before in recent history.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
The only thing I seen misleading in the ad was the attractiveness of Miss Hernandez at the end of the video. If you'd like to see women in uniform as cute as her you'd be better off joining the Navy or Air Force.

But regardless of how much one might disagree with "the war on terror" there isn't one service member who could honestly say that they haven't developed good core values that without their service they would've ever gotten.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Hell ! At first I thought it was an Alex Jones piece. I happen to agree with the OP. Perhaps they could of included the clip of the Guard in New Orleans in support of the gun confiscation. Yupper WARRIORS IN DEED ! And yes, before anyone cares to call my character into question I did serve in the military. I served their political agenda.
In return they offered some life perks I could ill afford. I wonder how well the recruitment is going at Harvard, Stanford and MIT ?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Wow, thank you v much.
I was just searching to see if anyone put this up yet.
Saw it at the theater over the weekend and I was astonished (in a bad way).

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

Originally posted by SteveR
It's called deification of the military.

On a scale never seen before in recent history.

Clearly You were not around during The Crusades.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48
reply to post by jam321

It should be balanced a bit, don't you think?

Maybe show a scene of flag draped caskets,

Vet in a wheelchair,

Not all macho with no consequence

Why exactly? I mean I have not seen one thread on here bashing Budweiser for not including photos of drunk driving accidents in their ads, or Tylenol for not including testimony from those with liver damage due to the product. It is an ad, and just like an ad for anything else it is meant to highlight the positive aspects.

If anyone joins the military based on seeing this, and says that they had no idea that they may get shot at, and killed then they are just imbeciles.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Saw this ad for the first time when i went to see Avatar.

My brother actually looked at me in the theater and said "was that commercial creepy or was it just me?"

I must admit it is a bit unsettling.

A lot of subliminal messages going on there.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
They should show the other side of the fence, like who those guns and tankers would be shooting at...the families and children of the opposition that would be killed. It amazes me how they can glamorize something as serious as war, in order to recruit people. My favorite- "citizen=soldier"! There you have it, you are nothing but a weapon waiting to be replaced when your 'duty' is done.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by JPhish
Saw this ad for the first time when i went to see Avatar.

they showed it during Avatar?

the movie and it's message probably destroyed any bit of a good impression it left on the audience lol

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
WAR - Been around forever and will be here until the end of time!

MILITARY - Created to fight WARS, to KILL the enemy, end of story...no other reason.

AD/COMMERCIALS - Been around since the dawn of TV and even before that on the radio...NOTHING NEW!!

Bottom line is why this is such an issue NOW makes no sense. To find this ad sad, or disturbing, or scary simply means your bias for the current war is taking over any rational thought. Like many have said before, if you don't know what your getting into when joining ANY branch/form of the Military...your simply an idiot.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join