It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Device Prints Human Tissue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Story

Invetech has delivered what it calls the "world's first production model 3D bio-printer" to Organovo, developers of the proprietary NovoGen bioprinting technology. Organovo will in turn supply the devices to institutions investigating human tissue repair and organ replacement.

"Scientists and engineers can use the 3D bio printers to enable placing cells of almost any type into a desired pattern in 3D," Murphy said. "Researchers can place liver cells on a preformed scaffold, support kidney cells with a co-printed scaffold, or form adjacent layers of epithelial and stromal soft tissue that grow into a mature tooth. Ultimately the idea would be for surgeons to have tissue on demand for various uses, and the best way to do that is get a number of bio-printers into the hands of researchers and give them the ability to make three dimensional tissues on demand."

this could change what we thing of as modern medicine if it woulds out... no more repairing just replacing... almost sounds kind of Frankensteinish to me

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Oh yes indeed, very promising technology and really "sci-fi"...

In the first part of the documentary called "2057 - The Body", you can see the possible application for such a system at 2:20:

Fascinating times....

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
This reminds me of the movie The Island which came out like 3 or 4 years ago

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
This seems pretty awesome,

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
two things first sorry about how my OP came out was struggling with my 2 yo granddaughter over control of the lap top, apparently she won....

secondly here's a picture of what this machine looks like
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7a9bd68ed37b.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I find this amazing, i think humanity is going to be so advanced, think of all the possibilitys? Some technology seems a little frightening, but if in the right hands we could make this world an amazing place.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DXFILMS
I find this amazing, i think humanity is going to be so advanced, think of all the possibilitys? Some technology seems a little frightening, but if in the right hands we could make this world an amazing place.

it is so very cool and I can see the day when they can make much more complex organs like an eye... thus ending blindness forever...

it might even bring down health care costs too...

no more need for dialyses you can have a new liver made and since it would be from your own tissues no rejection drugs needed either!

new topics

top topics

join