It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy killed by bullet 'fired three miles away'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Boy killed by bullet 'fired three miles away'

www.telegraph.co.uk

Marquel Peters was seated with his parents inside a church in Decatur, Georgia, when a bullet came through the roof and struck his head.

The toddler collapsed at the feet of his parents, who had no idea what caused a gaping wound in his head.

It was only after doctors removed the bullet as they tried in vain to save his life that they realised he had been shot.
Kelly Fite, a former ballistics expert at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation's state Crime Lab, told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
A terrible tragedy to happen. I've wondered why people risked shooting guns into the air because what goes up must come down. Even when shooting straight up, even if not at an angle, the shooter still puts people and himself at risk from the falling ballistic. Complete madness to hope for the best that it hits the ground or complete ignorance. Even if falling bullets doesn't hit anyone, it could still damage property.

Where do bullets go when guns are fired straight up into the air?

The saying "What goes up must come down" is an appropriate starting point. If you fire a gun into the air, the bullet will travel up to a mile high (depending on the angle of the shot and the power of the gun). Once it reaches its apogee, the bullet will fall. Air resistance limits its speed, but bullets are designed to be fairly aerodynamic, so the speed is still quite lethal if the bullet happens to hit someone. In rural areas, the chance of hitting someone is remote because the number of people is low. In crowded cities, however, the probability rises dramatically, and people get killed quite often by stray bullets. Most major cities have laws in place to try to keep people from shooting guns into the air in celebration.

Also found that velocities of falling bullets are around 40 m/s. Definitely still fast enough to kill someone!

answers.google.com...

ask.yahoo.com...

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-1-2010 by john124]

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
What a tragedy, only the good die young though.

Proof positive religion will not save you! Did the gun kill the boy or his parents dragging a three year old to church?

Cause and effect.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Proof positive religion will not save you! Did the gun kill the boy or his parents dragging a three year old to church?

Cause and effect.

Another church-related death!

"This is your brain on religion."

+45 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Only on the internet could a discussion about the dangers of blind-fire be turned into an anti-religion argument.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by leftystrat

Cause and effect.

Another church-related death!

"This is your brain on religion."

Hind sight is 20/20 but clearly the child would have been better served by guitar lessons!

If there is a G-d he definately has one warped sense of humor and is one heck of a sadist!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Now folks chill this i not a religion related problem but a firearm problem. I believe there should be laws banning firearms from being fired up in the air.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Reply to post by starwarsisreal

Reckless use laws cover it. That's the thing about laws. They don't stop crimes. So they just make more laws covering the same thing. Those laws don't do anythng to stop the crime either. Just make more ways the average person can be fined or arrested.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
Now folks chill this i not a religion related problem but a firearm problem. I believe there should be laws banning firearms from being fired up in the air.

Was anyone not attending this church struck by a bullet from a gun fired up in the air?

The religion did in fact build the church in the path of the bullet!

Very thoughtless of them if you ask me. Chances are it was way past the child's bedtime too!

I think both the church and the parents should be prosecuted for wreckless endangerment and manslaughter.

It is also entirely possible that some kind of black rite was taking place using the occult and socery that pulled the bullet down from the heavens into the church for the expressed purpose of sacrificing the child.

Lots of potential conspiracies here! Do we even know for certain that the person in question voluntarily opted to fire the gun or was he forced to through some black magic.

Very suspicious indeed.

You likely think I am joking, but it was a Blue Moon! It also happens to have happened in Georgia where according to the Charlie Daniels Band the Devil has been known to go!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
But still people should stop blaming Religion that's totally off topic. I mean it can happen if the kid is walking down the street or at home

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I don't know about blaming religion, but a toddler being killed at church by a stray bullet from 3 miles away should just beg critical thinking from a lot of church-going Christians.

It's obviously a tragedy either way.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Cause and effect.

I hope you are on Holiday and some sad sack stole your passwords.
I know you are a Brady buncher but the attack on the church
and the folks in it is TOTALLY un-American. A tragedy in itself.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donny 4 million

Cause and effect.

I hope you are on Holiday and some sad sack stole your passwords.
I know you are a Brady buncher but the attack on the church
and the folks in it is TOTALLY un-American. A tragedy in itself.

Actually truth be known I suspect the OP who is from England not the U.S. and favors English Gun Control Laws will be wanting to turn this into a forum for the evils of gun ownership here in America.

I am shall we say, purposefully exploring alternative theories to this tragedy!

I feel terrible for the boy's parents.

It's a real tragedy, sadly some people on ATS have a way of exploiting tragedies to peddle agendas for America and a lot of them don't even live in America.

Go figure.

The Bradey Bunch? More like the Adams family!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
So it penetrated the roof? I'm surprised this isn't more common

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

But still people should stop blaming Religion that's totally off topic. I mean it can happen if the kid is walking down the street or at home

It didn't though it happened in a church on a blue moon in a part of Georgia and the South the Devil is known to show up to tune guitars and fiddles!

Real mature. A child's death is nothing to joke about. It's not even right to bring religion into this discussion. It was simply bad luck.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by Phlynx]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Now folks chill this i not a religion related problem but a firearm problem. I believe there should be laws banning firearms

fixed it for you

now let the flaming begin 'oh you cant take away our precious lethal firearms what will we use to defend ourselves and kill small children.'

[edit on 3/1/10 by RuledBySecrecy]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Let's say that there is a God, then is he a sadist if in the end, nobody really dies? What if the soul representing the toddler chose that fate(for some type of learning experience, though at this point, I can't see what it is)?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuledBySecrecy

Now folks chill this i not a religion related problem but a firearm problem. I believe there should be laws banning firearms

fixed it for you

now let the flaming begin 'oh you cant take away our precious lethal firearms what will we use to defend ourselves and kill small children.'

[edit on 3/1/10 by RuledBySecrecy]

well look I believe we should own firearms. I believe their should be a school for how to use firearms properly like a teacher teaching telling them never to fire on the air. I believe that will reduce all risks of bullets being fired in the air. Plus you comment is way off topic

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Reply to post by starwarsisreal

Education would certainly do much more good than fear and prohibition but even then there is always a certain percentage of folks who just don't care.

Is there anyone alive who doesn't k ow driving piss drunk or smoking crack aren't great things to do? Of course not. Yet thousands if not millions of people do it everyday regardless of both education and law.

It's a varia le that will always exist. One thtlat has no solution. One that is regularly overlooked or dismissed entirely.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join