It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I wish like Youtube there was a vote down/dislike button to replies.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Yes we are allowed to disagree, thats part of a discussion but some people here who are not even skeptics but more dhareea talkers and dliberatly go into forums they are not interested in the topics posted and make stupid uneducated replied just to push peoples buttons.

i wish that there was a unstar, or unflag or dislike replies button, and if enough people think they reply is stupid and uneducated enough it would be blocked or minimized into a 'this is crap expandable if you want to read garbage button'

i know its hard with this type of widly used forum as it has its own prebuilt conditions but its soo needed.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by hautmess

This has been brought up before, and from what I can recall there where quite a few reasons why it wouldn't work. I can't find the thread I recall reading this on. I only found this one:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I think you make a good point, but I'd be worried that in some topics (such as 9/11 conspiracies) that such a function would be abused by some members against posts they don't like even if the poster makes a valid point. However, I would like to see a "click to view post" function available for the posts that are deemed "off topic" by mods, just because I get curious sometimes about what was written! I can understand "Extreme T&C violation" posts not having such a thing, but "off topic"? Why not let the reader be the judge of that?

[edit on 3/1/10 by sotp]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Good idea! I love nothing more(well ok some things
) than reading through the informative and interesting replies on some of good posts on this site.
But hate having to read through the pointless one liners and 2nd line rubish, and even more so the ignorant rantings that so often crop up. To the point where lately all I read is the OP and ignore the rest, which is a shame, because some of the real gems crop up in the replies to an OP.
So why not give the ATS members the ability to flag replies, much like the way threads are flaged, so we can scroll quickly to good responses within a given thread? We could still read the rest of the posts in order of the time they were posted as normal, but this way people will be able to, and be more incouraged to read through atleast some of the better replies.
Surely this could work and be an improvement?

Edited for bad spellng

[edit on 3-1-2010 by surfer_soul]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

i wish that there was a unstar, or unflag or dislike replies button

These - not good enough ?

and if enough people think they reply is stupid and uneducated enough it would be blocked or minimized into a 'this is crap expandable if you want to read garbage button

You mean enough people that agree with you ?

Why do you have a problem with people that are uneducated and what type of education do you speak of ? Forsest Gumps' friend knew everything that was possible to know about shrimp fishing but nothing else would you consider him educated or ignorant if the discussion was in relation to alien shrimp ?

Get off your high horse dude If you don't like what someone has to say just ignore it and let the mods moderate.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by hautmess
i wish that there was a unstar, or unflag or dislike replies button

I wish like Youtube there was a vote down/dislike button to replies

You could use that and simply type in a response about how you felt about the topic or a reply.

Simple as that.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I used to participate on a site that had a thumbs up and down system. It was a disaster that eventually led to ‘Thumb Wars’.

Forum gangs opposed to or in favor of one another would simply end up adding or taking away thumbs from people based on personalities and strategic allegiances.

Not only did it end up marring the quality of posts but it led to a general atmosphere of fear and mistrust even amongst people who belonged to the same cliques.

It became a very unpleasant place for everyone as a result, liberals, conservatives, radicals, and extremists alike.

When I found ATS it was like a breath of fresh air.

The reality is all people do not think alike and some people don’t even thing remotely alike. I can tell you from my participation on that other site that thumbs down did not stop the people who made the most outlandish or non-helpful posts. Some of them actually considered the thumbs down an honor that meant they weren’t intimidate by the herd.

Eventually it just leads to popularity wars, and the forums turn into an Internet version of Survivor.

Here is the plain and simple truth, you don’t know how brilliant or stupid something is until someone first posts it!

If you don’t like it don’t star it, if you really don’t like a poster put them on your ignore list.

If you think something is worth a star and a flag then give it one.

The system isn’t broke ATS is the most civilized site on the net.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
I used to participate on a site that had a thumbs up and down system. It was a disaster that eventually led to ‘Thumb Wars’.

Reply +9

Exactly.
I've been on some sites that had no recognition feature at all. I agree that ATS is the most civil site I've been on.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Think of it this way... the stars are used by others to let the poster know that what they posted someone else agreed with. Perhaps there was no reason for the poster who starred the post to make their own post with redundant info. so the star take that place. If you implement a system where a star can be removed, not only are you creating a situation in which every thread than has the "me too" one liners... BUT, you are also silencing the opinion of someone else (not the original poster)...

However, if you disagree with a post, there is compelling reason to post your own argument without the passive/aggressiveness of trying to make a point by eliminating stars... which makes no point other than to be childish.

Capiche?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

9+

Exactly.
I've been on some sites that no recognition feature at all. I agree that ATS is the most civil site I've been on.

The thing I enjoy most about ATS is its possible for just about everyone who disagrees to agree on doing it nicely.

I like that.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I know what you are all saying in the points made so far, but what about my idea I suggested of being able to star/flag replies? This is no different from staring threads as already utilised by ats, but would allow some replys to stand out more aswell in there respective threads.
I'm not advocating a thumbs down button full stop. Just suggesting a way of people being able to like a reply aswell as a thread, without having to waste there time and mine, with bothering to write some like,
'I thought that was a really well thought out, stared and flaged!

second line
'

or the opposite of that. Can't we just have a button where these people can just 'like' or 'flag' a thread or or reply just like with facebook?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by surfer_soul

Um... I guess I'm confused. Don't we already have that?
You can Star/Flag the original thread post as well as star any responding post.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I'm glad there's no thumbs down/dislike button. Sometimes the Truth isn't popular.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by surfer_soul

I know what you are all saying in the points made so far, but what about my idea I suggested of being able to star/flag replies? This is no different from staring threads as already utilised by ats, but would allow some replys to stand out more aswell in there respective threads.

??? This feature already exists (except not in the BBQ forum).

You can star any reply you feel deserves it.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sotp

However, I would like to see a "click to view post" function available for the posts that are deemed "off topic" by mods, just because I get curious sometimes about what was written!
[edit on 3/1/10 by sotp]

that basically what i was trying to say.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
If this is not possible i wish there was a trusted OP who you could send replies to for them to overview and decide if the reply is FOLLOWING THE RULES of contributing to the discussion. OR at least flag the post in a negative way so that the people who enforce the policys here can overview the post and consider if it is or is not following these rules.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by someotherguy
I'm glad there's no thumbs down/dislike button. Sometimes the Truth isn't popular.

like these kinda replies, people who arent even grasping what the actual problem is and just let # fly outta their mouth without contributing anything. there is no more time for BS.

edit = removal of bad words

[edit on 3-1-2010 by hautmess]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by hellfrozeover
Come on....we have the Mods, they take care of all that...right Seagull & Goon. They can wield their powerful key stroke and move or remove any thread or post at will.

If anything less is more.....as the government has stripped the freedoms from our grasp, ATS has started going down that same dangerous road.

how do we notify the Mods of such ignorant replies so warnings can be issued?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

9+

Exactly.
I've been on some sites that no recognition feature at all. I agree that ATS is the most civil site I've been on.

The thing I enjoy most about ATS is its possible for just about everyone who disagrees to agree on doing it nicely.

I like that.

I agree.

Every site I been on that implements dislike/thumbs down has always been trolled with avatars, their sockpuppets, and their bots to automatically downthumb "hit lists"

There is no way to stop it except for to not implement the features.

ATS made the right choice.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by dzonatas]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join