It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists 'photograph' nano-particle self-assembly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Scientists 'photograph' nano-particle self-assembly

www.nanotech-now.com

Professor Leroy Cronin, Gardiner Chair of Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, who devised and led the study, said: "This advance is very important since in the construction of molecular nano-objects we must rely on ‘self-assembly' where the nano-scale objects builds itself - a process which is almost impossible to understand or control using current step-wise chemical synthesis approaches

"Therefore, understanding the assembly process is vital if we are to create a new range of functional nano-objects.

"This discovery could lead the way for the designed assembly of a whole range o
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
In an age when everything we read or see is doom and gloom, Im holding out hope that this breakthrough can be used for mankind and not as a stepping stone to nano weapon construction.

What does concern me is that it was observed that self assembly of molecules took place and then the "Template was Ejected" freeing the said template to repeat the process of creating the molecule.

So this nano particle is able to multiply without human intervention??

I also found the quote below interesting for obvious reasons,

"This discovery could lead the way for the designed assembly of a whole range of precisely-defined nano-particles with applications in electronics, medicine, and catalysis to allow the design of intelligent or smart nano-sensors and nano-functional machines, not to mention the fundamental implications regarding the assembly of complex chemical systems, the most spectacular example of which are living cells."

Will this breakthrough be an allie in the fight against cancer and other diseases or will it be a new door to reproducing weapons?

I guess only time will tell.

Respects

www.nanotech-now.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Based upon what I think we don't know about this technology, I think the dangers are enormous.

More than a year ago, I wrote this thread:

A New Sickness This Way Comes?

It barely got a glance.

As is true about most of our large mistakes, it takes us to make them first before anyone questions how we could have been prevented from making them in the first place.

*sigh*

[edit on 3-1-2010 by loam]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I read your thread and feel that any breakthrough in this field only offers the military option. Any benefit to mankind will be years in the making. The good is always at the back of the cue.

Respects

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

If you think for a moment that weaponising this technology is not the FIRST thing that will happen, you're being rather naive. In fact I would be very surprised if observations such as this are not old news for the military scientists!

*edit to say: Oops! Just spotted your other post, my apologies for my negative assumption of naivety!

[edit on 3/1/10 by sotp]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
All one needs to say is:

TERMINATOR

new topics

top topics

join