It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why is pluto so small???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
i just want to know why the heck is pluto so small???

ANOTHER question i have is why dont the planets get sucked into the sun because of its gravity???

thanks...

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Are you serious?

The wink at the end has thrown off my judgement.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

ANOTHER question i have is why dont the planets get sucked into the sun because of its gravity???

thanks...

errr, probably because it's the furthest away from us

Yes because of each of it's gravitational forces keeping them on their axis. So obviously there is a Game Master holding it all together for us.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sapphire

thanks...

errr, probably because it's the furthest away from us

Yes because of each of it's gravitational forces keeping them on their axis. So obviously there is a Game Master holding it all together for us.

Game Master = GOD???

nope...

and I AM SERIOUS

i just wanted to know because the gas giants are so big and pluto is so small...

its only the size of america...

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Alright, go outside and examine some rocks! Some are small, some are bigger. Why is pluto small? Because some planets are big and some are small, its just made out of less stuff than earth for example thats why!!!!

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Pluto is probably a large asteroid that got caught in the Sun's gravitational field.
The planets don't get sucked in to the sun becase of the speed at which they are rotating around it. For instance, place a pop can in the center of a parking lot, get going real fast so you'll miss it by 10 feet. Then, when you get parallel to it turn your wheel to try and hit it without slowing down. You'll just drive in circles around it and never hit it until you lose enough speed.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
notoohappy...

FINALY u got over your obsession with jessica alba

btw i also thought that pluto COULD have been an asteroid...

some planets are big and some small YES but why is that small one WAY in the back???

wouldnt it move closer because of the sun's gravity???

just a thought...

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Don't forget that the further you are from the Sun, the less the pull of gravity is strong. Perhaps it is because of its small size and mass that it was caugh by the Sun's gravity even at that distance, a larger object with enough mass an velocity would have perhaps continued on it way.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
My firstinstinct is to say that it may be a younger planet...

or maybe that there was just less gunk to get stuck to it since it is farther away from everything.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   

notoohappy...

FINALY u got over your obsession with jessica alba

Yep, I've moved on to Adriana Lima. Jessica might be back some day though.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Pluto could be a lost moon of Uranus - who knows

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I was just going to suggest it could be a moon from maybe one of the planets that got thrown out while everything was still forming.

When the solar system formed it is believed that the sun was surrounded by a disk or rocks and dust and gas, as it condenced and sucked in gass, the rocks swirling around it colided with each other forming planets. During this period, lots of mini planets (planetesimals) (sp) were forming, some got flung out twards the edged of the solar system before the gravity of the sun stopped them (orrt cloud and photon belt?). Some got sucked into gas giants Jupiter and Saturn. Big solar vaccuums. Others kept going out farther and some were swung around saturn and caught in its gravity field became moons as are most if not all moons.

(I hope I am getting this right cause its been a while since I read up on the creation of the solar system)

A nice solar system link:
www.nineplanets.org...

my theory is that pluto is a moon of one of the gas giants that was hit or knocked out of orbit and flung outwards before it slowly was caught in the gravity of the sun and became an orbital "planet".

Gravity holds the planets in a orbit around the sun, they are locked into this. Kind of like how a drain swirls, they spun around, but don't get sucked in because of thier own mass pulling them away while the sun pulls the twards ballencing it out? OMG, I have no clue if that is even closely correct, just makes sense to me...LOL I am not a physist (sp) or an astronomer though I do love to ponder how things form and move sometimes...so don't be to hard on me if I am wrong!

Thats what happens when you just go off the top of your head without any knowlege of something as vast and large as the solar system.

Was fun to think about though!

[Edited on 25-5-2004 by Darkblade71]

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 05:19 AM
link   
This is not primary school science class mate, really simple questions like this you can find out by just doing a tiny bit of research for yourself. Don't be so lazy.

top topics

join