It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Lifeless' Prion Proteins Are 'Capable of Evolution'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

'Lifeless' Prion Proteins Are 'Capable of Evolution'

news.bbc.co.uk

Scientists have shown for the first time that "lifeless" prion proteins, devoid of all genetic material, can evolve just like higher forms of life.
The Scripps Research Institute in the US says the prions can change to suit their environment and go on to develop drug resistance.
Prions are associated with 20 different brain diseases in humans and animals.
"...stop abnormal prions being transmitted to humans through the food system or through blood transfusions..."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.scientificamerican.com
www.medindia.net
www.zeenews.com
www.eurekalert.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
SCI/TECH: "Mad Cow" Disease Uses Immune System to Spread in Body
SCI/TECH: Mad Cow Madness
Linus Pauling: Scientist, Quack or Both?
Population Control Bioweapon? Medical Accident? What is Fibromuscular Dysplasia (FMD)?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
So - prions (infectious misfolded proteins) are now acknowledged to evolve and adapt.

Prions hitch-hike on viruses, and also on microbes like bacteria and fungi.

Mainstream medicine admits that prions are associated with 20 different brain diseases in humans and animals.

However, the evidence suggests that not only do prions cause most modern chronic and debilitating diseases, but they also underlie the current trend to accelerated evolution in microbes as well as complex living organisms.

What's most astounding about this news is the fact that it came out publicly, in the mainstream media.

NOTE: The last paragraph above was trimmed. The full quote is as follows:

"This is a timely reminder that prion concerns are not going away and that controls to stop abnormal prions being transmitted to humans through the food system or through blood transfusions must be vigorously maintained."

tinkered for clarity

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3-1-2010 by soficrow]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The Tasmanian Devil scourge just might be another prion-related disease - it's spread via nerve cells called Schwann cells.

Check out loam's old thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

sp.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Interesting, sofi. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what a prion is, exactly. It's a misfolded protein. So at what point does this happen? Is this from many different causes, or just one? Does radiation, heavy metals, "chance", viruses, bacteria, etc..all cause prions? Is this a fairly new class of mutation or has this always been with us?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

This is a very significant discovery.

We are really only just scratching the surface in terms of this subject.

Good job chasing these issues, Sofi!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
They have "leaders" or "messiah" who start a new "nation"...

Quasi-Species

"The proof of the quasi-species concept is a discovery we made over 30 years ago," he said. "We found that an RNA virus population, which was thought to have only one sequence, was constantly creating mutations and eliminating the unfavorable ones.

In these quasi-populations, much like we have now found in prions, you begin with a single particle, but it becomes very heterogeneous as it grows into a larger population.

There are some unknown dynamics at work in the prion population that leads to this increased heterogeneity, Weissmann added, that still need to be explored. "It's amusing that something we did 30 years has come back to us," he said. "But we know that mutation and natural selection occur in living organisms and now we know that they also occur in a non-living organism. I suppose anything that can't do that wouldn't stand much of a chance of survival."

www.eurekalert.org...

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
So... I figured that. Since it's "random mutations".... Of course it doesn't need to be "alive".

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Any system is capable of "evolution," living or not. The Interent, for example, has certainly "evolved."

So the question becomes, is there any fundamental difference between "living" and "nonliving" evolution?

There has always been disagreement about how exactly to define life and what is the dividing point between living and non-living things. Viruses are the best example...they share pretty much all the characteristics of "life" except they cannot reproduce by themselves (they need to invade a cell to do so, for example). For a long time most scientists defined them as "nonliving." Now the consensus among most seems to be that they are "living." (There is probably still some disagreement).

Personally, I don't see that it matters all that much. Viruses contunue to do what they do, despite how our definitions of words change. I see no firm division between life and non-life, personally, and no need to draw one. "It is what it is," as my dear old gramps would have said.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Thanks for your contributions everyone. Good stuff, starred of course.

I forgot about these 2 old threads - but they're very relevant to this discussion. Please do check them out:

Mutation and Human Evolution

Mutation, Disease and Human Evolution: What Are the Options?

-sofi

PS. "Mutation and Human Evolution" helps answer your questions, unityemissions.

ed. typo + to add PS

top topics

join