It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mediocrity - the key to religion and joy.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Many times in the last month I've seen posts on religion. Whenever, especially Christian posts pop up they get a dosage of "Christians have shot abortionists" and are thus also "extremists", and so forth. The reply is usually that "terrorists" are not "real" Christians, or "real" Muslims and Jews. And yet, each religion is paradoxical on violence - all of them come to bring a "holy sword" for perfectionist literalists.
Perhaps the apologists for religious harm should rather argue that "fundamentalism" is not real religion. However, they never go that far when they condem specific acts. Instead, they plead for understanding.
So, if "fundamentalism" and its literal violence is not "true religion", then what is?
I would say it is "mediocrity".
We should not take every law and example literally. Instead we should look at the moral failings in religious and political leadership as examples. These people are rich and happy, and yet so undeserving and mediocre!
So, thus we can learn from them that happiness is never aiming too high or feeling anything but a tiny tinge of "sinner's" guilt.
To be a good "Christian" is to be a mediocre Christian. Some would say it is to be a slightly "bad" person. This is the golden mean of the Abrahamic religions: just enough guilt vs. just enough self-satisfaction.
Therefore, only a mediocre "Christian" is a real Christian, and peole willing to really die for their faith on scriptural injunctions are highly suspect.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
i must be a pretty mediocer cristian because i dont believe in violence towards anyone i also believe there is good in every one however bad they may think they are i also think the human race is far to ready to judge i think love and peace are two amazing words and it will be a truly great day when all humans realy know what they mean and put them into practice

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Suppose you become a Chicago Bulls fan and someone starts murdering in the name of the Chicago Bulls because some player once said "We are going to wipe them all out!" (meaning beat other teams). Does that mean the Bulls are a murderous organization? No.

Its how the broad majority of religious people behave - nice and decent. The 1% who are deranged fanatics can be found anywhere, not only in Religion.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by digby888
i must be a pretty mediocer cristian because i dont believe in violence towards anyone i also believe there is good in every one however bad they may think they are i also think the human race is far to ready to judge i think love and peace are two amazing words and it will be a truly great day when all humans realy know what they mean and put them into practice

Well by my argument, "mediocre" is a compliment, so from what you write you are indeed an encouraging "mediocre" Christian.
Thanks for that nice truth.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Suppose you become a Chicago Bulls fan and someone starts murdering in the name of the Chicago Bulls because some player once said "We are going to wipe them all out!" (meaning beat other teams). Does that mean the Bulls are a murderous organization? No.

Its how the broad majority of religious people behave - nice and decent. The 1% who are deranged fanatics can be found anywhere, not only in Religion.

Well exactly, that's why we gotta keep them mediocre!
Even religion knows that. If there's one thing that the religious treat with contempt, it is the truly religious individual.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

It's quite strange, but there's some "mediocre" countries one never hears about. I suppose they must be doing quite average for themselves, and that's great!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Perhaps true.
It is the normally unremarkable masses that cause mayhem.
Often it is that 1%. But in history more damage has been caused by obedience.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I'm still waiting on what makes one Christian think they're gonna get an extra "crown" in heaven! Which act will secure me extra timeshare in heaven?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
It's quite strange, but there's some "mediocre" countries one never hears about. I suppose they must be doing quite average for themselves, and that's great!

Moderate, Middle, Mediocre, Modest, Balanced, Center - I cherish it for it is the hope for the world.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Erm: middle, mediocre, MODERATOR, totally groovy.
Perhaps a great country sends the stupid out to fight to defend the mediocre, who ultimatelly support the clever.

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Sadly, I think for most, violence and "victory" somehow typifies "excellence" in religion and faith. It's like religion has adopted the "survival of the fittest" mode.
But when I read the message of Jesus, it is not like that, and people may so "no", I'm a pacifist and just mediocre.

top topics

join