It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Changing religion still seems exotic.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
So on trying to change over to Islam or Hinduism it seems so exotic at times because you have to memorize stuff either in Arabic (for Islam) or Sanskrit (for Hinduism) at least in Christianity I can say prayers in English. That is sort of a stumbling block.

I never really grew up with religion ie church but I was sort of taught about God and Christ. I guess it's kind of ingrained in my mind and I have been practicing Christianity on and off again for at least 5 years, two the those years I've been denomination hopping. Methodism is okay since I prefer to us the NIV and they don't hammer on about Hell and Satan all the time like Baptist.

I'm concerned if I choose the wrong religion. What if I choose one that isn't right? I wouldn't want to spend an eternity in Hell for it. That would suck.

Granted all religions have their good and bad sides. I guess I'm just frustrated that I haven't gotten any type of revelation or deep connection with God yet.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by TinFoilHatMan55]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Just don't choose any of them, and take from them what sits well with you, it really is as easy as that, unless your more interested in taking on a title?

You don't have to take on a label to be a good person or learn new things!

[edit on 3-1-2010 by valiant]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
You cannot convert to Hinduism. There is no formal ritual, except in Brahmanical sects(sacred thread ceremony) on becoming Hindu,
you either are born Hindu and identify as Hindu or you identify with
Hindu religion and call yourself Hindu.

However, bear in mind there is such thing as a true Hindu and a false Hindu. A true Hindu is one who understands the philosophy of their religion and practices their religion by adhering to the core principles and practicing spiritual living.

Some key beliefs for a Hindu:

The Law Of Karma: Cause and effect
Spiritual evolution
One god expressed in many forms
Living according to cosmic law/dharma
Ultimate goal of life as union with the divine

Ideal practices for a Hindu:

Yoga(including meditation)
Vegetarianism
Self-analysis
Study of scripture
Service/charity/community work

Optional:

Pilgramage to sacred Hindu temples

Some key reading for a Hindu:

Bhagvad Gita
Upanishads
Mahabharata
Ramayana

Moral considerations for a Hindu:

Humility: Be Egoless
Non-violence: Be polite, soft and sweet in your speech, thoughts and actions
Contentment: Be Calm
Non-stealing: Never take what does not belong to you
Regulation of senses: Master your senses and overcome sense-desire
Non-possessiveness: Only have as much as you need, give away the excess to where it is needed

How to live by cosmic law:

Keep your body supple and healthy
Keep your intellect clean and sharp
Cultivate a love for positive art/music
Make yourself useful in the world by finding your true caling
Meditate
Pray regularly to god and form a personal relationship with him
Keep positive
Do today what you intend to do tomorrow
Give 10% of your earnings to charity regularly
Keep the earth green and serene
Respect your elders and those more learned than you

If you subscribe to all of the above then you are Hindu. If not, you should consider another religion.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
And Judaism typically requires Hebrew.

I will tell you this, though. God says in the Bible that if we seek Him, we will find Him. Unequivocally. However, this requires us to seek Him, God, not something convenient, edited, or of our own creation.

I still recall the day I became so frustrated with seemingly unanswerable questions (I was an evangelical athiest at the time) that I yelled out at work (I was the only one in the building
) , "God, if you exist, prove it!" I was done trying to control my surroundings, and instead decided to ask God to reveal God.

He did. It took (I think) a couple of months before the evidence forced me to believe in a god, but years before I believed in Jesus. However, that one, brief (very brief) moment of humility was like cracking a window where God began to waft in and change my world.

He knew me where I was and did what I needed to know Him, but it also required me laying aside my presuppositions.

It is all I can suggest. It is all I can recommend. It changed my world and it changed my life. It can do the same for you. He knows you better than you know yourself, and is accessible to all people, not just those who speak a certain language. Not anymore. The cross tore the veil shielding God and revealed Him, made Him accessible, to the world, and that includes you.

Merry Christmas

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Obviously you believe in God, and seem to be trying different things to see what resonates best on a spiritual level?

Anyways, let me ask you something. Have you ever had any spiritual experiences that you cannot fully explain? You know, like, have you seen something? Felt something? Heard something? Smelled something? Or if you haven't experienced anything, maybe you have a Grandma or Grandpa, someone whom you completely trust telling you the truth, who has experienced something like this.

And like junglejake - have you ever asked him to reveal himself?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I haven't felt 'anything' that's the problem. I don't know why I can't get a spiritual feeling. Maybe it takes a life time to get or a combination of things. I don't know.

Christianity is okay but the people that have that banner act pretty badly towards me and others so that's off putting at time. Granted every religion has those people.

A 'Christian' woman today at work started something up with me saying she'd call the cops or go to my Boss if I talked to her daughter OUTSIDE OF WORK. One her daughter is 22, Two I was talking to her daughter about religion and it upset her (this was outside of work when I txt msg her), three her daughter and I have been friends for two years now and resolved the issue after it happened. That's BS. It was a private conversation that her mom had nothing to do with. She's making a non-issue an issue. Her daughter is an adult and can talk to who she wants. I'm p*ssed and ranting at the moment, sorry.

I know religion shouldn't be about how other people act (well not for the most part) but how in affects and changes me personally.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinFoilHatMan55
I haven't felt 'anything' that's the problem. I don't know why I can't get a spiritual feeling.

I wouldn't worry about that as it is a healthy state of mind. I'd like to recommend you read The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by Prof. Julian Jaynes and then see what you think about not being able to get a spiritual feeling. You might be able to borrow a copy from your local library if you don't want to buy one but I can tell you it is well worth the purchase price and more.

A warning though. Jaynes has a circuitous and sometimes poetic writing style so expect a difficult read. Pay particularly close attention to the first few chapters in which he defines consciousness or more to the point, what consciousness is not. If you don't do this or if you merely skim the book his theory of bicameralism will seem absurd to you.

Bicameralism (psychology)

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

Here's my advice, for what it's worth... Don't worry so much about finding a religion as much as finding your own spiritual center. One need not be religious to be spiritual. I've studied them all, and I have found that all have some truth, and all have some manmade deciet. If you connect with Deity on a personal level, you don't need an organized religion to 'save' you. The Divine knows what's in your heart, and that's all that really matters!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by junglejake

I wish I could give you a *star* for your comments.

Thank you for telling your story.

Isn't it amazing that God loves us so much, He wants everyone to get to know Him?

I have even been reading lately that people all over the world, of many nationalities and religions, have been dreaming about Jesus, or even claiming to have met Him, which is causing them to convert, at great personal risk to themselves, even though by doing so they may lose their families and everything else that they hold dear, including their lives!

God planned for the possibility that some people may need proof as compared to faith, which is illustrated by the story of Thomas, in the Bible.

Jesus didn't get mad when Thomas questioned if He had really risen from the dead. No!

Instead, He said, come on over, Thomas, prove it to yourself, touch my wounds.

Sometimes it takes getting to the end of our rope to get us to the point to where we are willing to cry out for help, or even for proof of existence from something we don't even believe in.

When we do, He will personally answer us in a way that we can't mistake!

Thanks again! And, keep telling your story!

God Bless

sezsue

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

Hi, TinFoilHatMan55

The thing is, most people don't understand, that it's not about what religion you belong to.

It's the fact that God wants to have a personal relationship with us, a daily conversation if you will, like we have with our family, or our co-workers. (Only better!)

I asked God for an answer about something once, during a time when I was really desperate about something. (And since that time as well, which He also answered.)

But, during that time, I cried out with all my heart for God to tell me what to do, in a way that I could understand, since I'm only human, and show me in such a way that I would know it was His will, which He did.

Within a week, I received an answer that was so specific to my question, that I could not fail to recognize it. The story is too long to go into here, but you can U2U me if you want.

When you ask God to show Himself to you, in a sincere, heartfelt way, He will.

He says so, and He keeps His promises.

God Bless.

sezsue

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinFoilHatMan55
I guess I'm just frustrated that I haven't gotten any type of revelation or deep connection with God yet.

And you aren't going to get it either like this.

Like JungleJake said, you have to seek. But what are you really seeking? You aren't seeking god, you are seeking people/men and religion. A group to belong to. Well, that is all you are going to find, because it's all you've really looked for.

Big surprise that is all you've found? Not in the least. You seek and you will find, you found exactly what you were seeking.

JungleJake hit on another important part, and that is to get rid of your preconceived notions on what "is god". If you don't, then you are still not looking for god, you are looking for your idea of god. This is to "become as a child". The child is honest in that it doesn't know something, so it seeks and asks without the preconceived notions.

Give you a buddha quote.

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

[edit on 1/11/2010 by badmedia]

new topics

top topics

join