It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Groom Lake Road Paved

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Hi,

Just noticed that Dreamland Resort site has posted a picture of the newly paved Groom Lake Road. This has been paved within the restricted area - the 'public' section c. 14 miles remains unpaved.

Sorry I can't give a direct link but the following will take you to Dreamland Resort site;

www.dreamlandresort.com...

From there, select News & Events and then Latest Updates.

Seems that life and work still goes on at Area 51.

Peace!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I'm not entirely sure, but according to records i've seen, the contractor that has paved the groom lake road may be CH2M HILL.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Groomforce

Hi Groomforce,

You have better access to resources than I! Looking at their web-site could well be.

Think it interesting that the powers that be should bother to pave the inner 9 miles - either the dirt track was becoming too worn or it might mean more traffic is planned?

Obviously they have left the public access part unpaved as that is part of their high-tech early warning system - dust.

Peace!

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by The Wave

Here's a direct link:
www.dreamlandresort.com...

Seriously, why is that site still using frames?

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
FWIW, the photograph also appeared on alt.conspiracy.area51. A few of the "investigators" still use usenet. Yes, frames suck. Also, firefox can get past the right click blocker. [Doh!]

Regarding the road, lets call it "sealed" rather than paved. I don't believe they put a stone base under the pavement.

There are bid requests from Nellis regarding paving, so I assume Nellis runs the contract. The TTR has had a paving request go out as well. The TTR, being less secret than Groom Lake, has also expanded its telecommunications capabilities

They did a similar sealing on Cedar Pass Road. No base, so the pavement erodes and you find dirt. It is almost worse than a dirt road because drivers try to steer around the failed pavement.

As far as I can tell, most road traffic to Groom Lake uses the Mercury Highway and passes through Gate 700 of the NTS. I met a truck driver that has taken deliveries as far as Gate 700. From that point, the commercial driver sits in the guard shack and a military (or at least approved driver) takes the truck to the base.

If you hang out around the front gate long enough, you only see cars and the bus. I don't ever recall seeing a heavy go down Groom Lake Road. Since the Janets don't fly on the weekends, you might find a base worker going into Alamo, so it is possible to see base traffic on the weekend.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I agree with that, i saw a request from Nellis AFB to pave roads, parking lots, runways, taxiways at TTR and Creech also. But one thing I don't understand of the document in question, is that says that a contractor is required to provide the equipment, transportation and necessary equipment. Who is the contractor who assumes this responsibility?

www.fbo.gov...

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Groomforce

The request for bid is to find that contractor. That is, the document is written between the base and "contractor", with contractor to be the company awarded the contract. [Or stated differently, "contractor" is just a placeholder for the company awarded the contract.] Usually the website shows who was awarded the contract, but that information seems to be missing.

There is a PDF regarding a meeting between the base and a group of contractors. Nellis asked for better screening of employees since prior contracts have found employees that were illegal aliens and felons.

This is a very vague contract. You can't really tell how much work there will be in the contract. Basically you set up camp, do some paving, and then for up to the next 5 years, you might get more work. This is messy since part of the cost of construction is delivery of the machinery. The smaller contractors don't own the gear, so they have to deal with Big Five or Hertz.

Anyway, my guess is the base didn't want to spell out exactly what was going to be paved. That way they didn't have to state "pave road to I can't say" or something to that effect. Usually when you bid a contract, every last bit of work is stated to avoid "change orders", which are costly.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Here is another photo of the road taken recently. They have definitely sprayed the road but they did put a fair amount of gravel down first.

posted on Jan, 20 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
The supposed contractor was probably listed as blackwater or other agency not identifiable with the contract work.

posted on Jan, 21 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Here is another photo of the newly paved road leading to the guard shack. The white Cammo Dude vehicle had just left their usual lookout on the hill. It looks like the pavement is a lot better past the warning signs.

top topics

join