It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S., Britain close embassies in Yemen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

U.S., Britain close embassies in Yemen

www.cnn.com

The United States and Britain announced Sunday they have closed their embassies in Yemen because of security concerns.
U.S. officials cited ongoing threats by al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula to attack American interests in Yemen.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Here we go....full force into Yemen. Yet another country that has no desire to be policed by American troops and its allies.

I can't help but think all of this is in an effort to ram a new war-funding bill down our throats. There was talk that it would be attached to a jobs creation bill, the latter being supported by the public and the former not.

I can't imagine that after the most recent troop surge, predominantly sent by the US, that any additional troops will be approved for yet another mission of rooting out terrorists in Yemen.

Further, although we claim to have partnerships with Pakistan and Afghanistan, I can't help but think that they would sell us down the river as soon as they found an opportunity. It is very difficult to forge a trusted relationship with two corrupt governments and citizens that don't want us there and are left wondering on which side they really should fight.

On one hand you have the insurgents with tons of money and the vow of protection, on the other hand you have a government known to be riddled with corruption and less than stellar human rights records, and then you have the American and NATO allies killing their family members and openly admitting an inability to distinguish between friend or foe.

It's been more than 8 years now and we are more entrenched than ever in the Middle East. Unfortunately, I can see no happy ending.

Further, not to be construed as fear mongering, but at this point, with the condition of the economy, lack of public support, and waning interest in giving up our privacy rights all in the name of keeping us safe, perhaps the only answer to ending this entire operation will be an all-out bombing. I don't see the latest efforts in Afghanistan changing the tide -- if anything they have simply increased the area in which the Taliban / al-Quaida reside and caused our troops to be even more thinly spread out.

Anybody have any additional information on the closure of the embassies and/or a feasible end to this war on terror? Has the tide changed in Afghanistan or is it too soon to make a determination? Would the US support yet another surge in troops in the coming months in order to spread into Yemen?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
This is the usual precursor to War

Burn the Docs, and get the hell out

Fun time are a brewing

The Imperialistic United States march on

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
3 words

END THE WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Well we cant afford any more wars,our dabble in Iraq and our continued folly in Afganistan is bleeding us dry both in manpower and finances.
Also,they might find it hard to keep our force numbers high once we come out of recession.who in there right mind is going to join the army these days?

In the old days,apart from the Northern Ireland tours it was a good job-these days your underpayed and over there fighting this bogus war in another mans country who doesnt want you there.I dont know how the poor soldiers families cope with their deployment in the sand box,must be realy hard on family and loved ones

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Why are we pissing around and not sorting this out?

When the Falklands were invaded, we sorted the out!

When the Pan Am aircraft was blown up, we sorted out Libya.

So what's the problem?

Obama and Brown etc. have no balls I reckon?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

Unfortunately, I was thinking the same exact thing.

However, Britain said that they MAY be looking to re-open their embassy as early as Monday.... that would be a pretty fast turnaround if they were really concerned it was going to be targeted. Hopefully, they aren't just switching out people, re-open, and then blow it up. Its sad, but I don't trust ANYTHING that's going on right now.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by noangels

Actually, recessions are wonderful for military recruitment. The military has surpassed all of their recruitment goals for 2009 and are on track to do the same in 2010.

People have to eat and take care of their families. The only organization NOT laying anyone off right now and more importantly HIRING, is the military. (predominantly the military is more accurate)

I think people look at the numbers and are willing to take the gamble. We've lost a lot of soldiers over the last eight years, but the odds are still in their favor of surviving.

top topics

join