It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats with all the Homophobia?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
This term "Homophobia" implies Fear of Homosexuality does it not?

To me it is a band-aid term much like "Anti-Semitic".

I say this because both terms are applied exclusively to anyone who does not agree with those who belong to the groups in question.

Most men are not afraid of homosexuality nor gay men. Many of us can see one human as being the same as another, the same as ourselves no matter what their sexual preference, religion, race or color.

Therefore the term "Homophobia" is a misnomer, it simply does not apply to all men who are Heterosexual, while it may apply to very few who are actually afraid of homosexuality in general.

So, like the term "Anti-Semitic" it is a pathetic tag used to denote something which is very much incorrect in relation to most people, whether we agree or not with those belonging to the groups.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I've made posts about people discriminating homosexuals and some seriously scary christian dude came out of the woodwork and was essentially being a huge bigot because he thought he was right, even going as far as insulting the mods after they did their job.

I'm straight but I'm totally fine with gays. I can't even fathom why anyone wouldn't be fine with it.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Unfortunately, most people suffer from the "if you're not exactly like me, something is wrong with you" syndrome.

No wonder extraterrestrials don't show themselves to us. Maybe they know what we're like?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tayesin

I say this because both terms are applied exclusively to anyone who does not agree with those who belong to the groups in question.

Most men are not afraid of homosexuality nor gay men. Many of us can see one human as being the same as another, the same as ourselves no matter what their sexual preference, religion, race or color.

Therefore the term "Homophobia" is a misnomer, it simply does not apply to all men who are Heterosexual, while it may apply to very few who are actually afraid of homosexuality in general.

So, like the term "Anti-Semitic" it is a pathetic tag used to denote something which is very much incorrect in relation to most people, whether we agree or not with those belonging to the groups.

To this I can agree. It is very much a blanket term and I actively refrain from calling anyone who may just disagree with something "X" term. But if you do say something homophobic, anti-Semitic, racist or what have you don't be surprised when the appropriate label is assigned to you.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by serenesupreme]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tayesin

I agree Tayesi, it's the same thing with "Racism".

Most people don't even know what these terms mean.

Not many people are homophobic.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I think it all has to do with the fact that homosexuals are GAY! and no one likes a happy person. me, myself, am not gay or bi, im straight, I'm a christian, but i do see homosexuality as a problem, they say homosexuals dont reproduce which is true, but they assimilate, and some (not all) are pedophiles, but on that hand so are some straight people, but IMO I see a homosexual man more likely to fulfill his Michael Jackson esque fantasy faster than a straight pedophile, but pedophiles are a whole nother topic the church will not touch, because they already touch almost on a daily basis.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Yeah I notice lots of homophobia on the net and in the real world a lot. I mean some poeple must be really insecure or something with themselves, I can't think of any other reason they feel threatened by or even care if someone is gay. Let people live their lives the way they want. I personally am not gay but know a couple gay people and they are cool, they don't bother me one bit. Of course I don't care to hear about what they do in private or anything but we don't talk about that kinda stuff. Just let people live their lives the way they want people! Does someones sexual orientation really matter that much?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

I live in oakland right near san francisco and I just don't go into the city on the day of parade, and I especially don't go there with my wife or daughter. Kids don't need to be seeing that.

But still its just one little parade one day a year, I always see people complaining about the gay pride parade things but its only like one day a year! Whats the big deal? Doesn't bother me. I don't think I've ever even seen that parade once just because I avoid going to the areas its in on the day of it, its not htat difficult.

And what exactly is the "homosexual agenda"?

And I see people in here saying straight people don't flaunt their sexuality... are you kidding me? I'm married now but when I was younger I remember constantly talking with friends and stuff about girls I thought were hot or girls I hooked up with. Or being out with friends and pointing out girls "ohh that girl there is so sexy... id like to..." and stuff like that. I know other straight guys do the same thing, is that not flaunting? I mean sure we don't have straight pride parades but straight people show off their "straightness" a lot too.

And what schools are you talking about that are teaching "gay history" and stuff? I have a young daughter and I don't recall her learning "gay history" or anything in school. I do however teach her that we are all equal and it doesnt matter what color or sexual preference you are, we are all equal! I'm not raising a bigot.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by sezsue

I live in california and my daughter just started first grade few months back but I know she didn't learn anything about gay people when she was in kindergarten or the grade shes in now. And as far as tolerance I don't have to worry about the school teaching my daughter to tolerate all people, because my wife and I already do and always will teach her to tolerate people. No bigots in my family. I didn't look at your links, and don't need to because I'm sure they are gross pictures, but still those fairs and parades are for gay people. Why would a straight person even want to go one of those? Thats the main reason it doesnt bother me, because id never be at one of those fairs or parades anyways, so I don't have to worry about goes on at them, I really could care less.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I believe a lot of homophobes are really having internal conflicts over their own sexuality. I'm straight, married w/ 4 kids and as much as my buddies and I throw around a few humorous quips about homosexuals we are so confident in our straightness that we DO NOT have a problem hanging out with them or letting them into our homes or allowing them to babysit our kids.
I like some gay people- they make me laugh and don't threaten my manhood in any way. I've seen wonderful contributions to the arts and sciences from these people as well as a compassion for humanity that many of us lack.
On the flip side I also loathe some gay people- a few have been detrimental to my employment, have flogged an indecent and immoral lifestyle in the presence of children not old enough to fully understand the sexual differences between a man and woman (aside from the obvious), and have generally promoted drug use and promiscuity on various levels. They parade about and dress like the opposite sex in public streets thus further stirring confusion in people either too ignorant or too young to know better and the bad thing is it is usually the teenage sector that are the victims.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that gay people are people too. There are those who are just and righteous and there are those who are not. They don't deserve any more praise or condemnation from us than the jerkwad nazis that live down the street or the immigrant worker around the corner or the cashier in the supermarket.
As long as it's between consenting adults and does not directly harm another human being then it's not my problem nor should it be any of yours.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidMirage

Originally posted by halfoldman

How is two people of the same sex getting it on against nature? I suppose some sheep, pigs and dogs then also go against nature. We are way past the sex is only for procreation stage. Nowadays people have sex for fun. Have you never seen two male lions copulating? Well then you ain't been to Africa. But how can that be? Nobody can tell me that animals are somehow outside nature.

My dog licks its own butthole clean after it takes a dump. So does that cat. Should humans start doing that to?

After all, if a dog and a cat does it then surely it must be natural and, therefore, ok for humans to do it according to your ill logic!

Well thanks for confirming that even though some people regard homosexuality as distasteful, it is not "unnatural". You confirm that it is as natural as animals grooming themselves.
Regarding the posts on plumbing - the penis and vagina's main plumbing purposes are urination and in the case of females (religiously "unclean") menstruation. The main purpose of the mouth is eating and vomiting. Really considering the plumbing is disgusting in all ways. Straight intercourse is people rubbing their urinary parts together - nice.
The issue here is homosexuality, yet it seems to divert into anal sex, which is not unique to gays, so I don't even understand the mention of plumbing. It seems that the straight guys who find two males using the same plumbing as heteros disgusting probably don't clean themselves and know just how filthy they are.
Talk about "ill logic".
Here peole enjoy the gay marches and the carnival atmosphere, and most of the amused, entertained people are not even gay! Not even all transvestites are gay. Even the camp Bible bashers on the sidelines enjoy it immensely. We have hetero sexuality rubbed into faces every other day of the year - the Playboys, Tiger Wood's, the Kendras and Kardashians. In the spirit of freedom (what American kids are supposedly dying for in the Middle East according to the right-wingers) the homophobes could surely stay home or go elsewhere for a day?
Rather ironically the "moral" get-tough-on-minor-crimes brigade never mention the male rape and situational homosexuality in prisons - strangely enough they happily condem people to forced homosexuality. What sickening logic.

(PS- To add to my initial reply: although the species in nature share fundamental drives and appetites, varying physiologies mean they can't do everything exactly the same. Except for contortionists I would strongly advise people not to attempt licking their own butts - it could result in years of chiropractic treatment!)

[edit on 4-1-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
listen, people who are afraid of gays, are narrow minded, ritual living, plain people, they are set in their way of life, they dont see it any different than they have ever known, they wont ever change, and because they are insecure with themselves they find a reason to hate something unnatural, and different.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeasahtheseer
reply to post by sezsue

I live in california and my daughter just started first grade few months back but I know she didn't learn anything about gay people when she was in kindergarten or the grade shes in now. And as far as tolerance I don't have to worry about the school teaching my daughter to tolerate all people, because my wife and I already do and always will teach her to tolerate people. No bigots in my family. I didn't look at your links, and don't need to because I'm sure they are gross pictures, but still those fairs and parades are for gay people. Why would a straight person even want to go one of those? Thats the main reason it doesnt bother me, because id never be at one of those fairs or parades anyways, so I don't have to worry about goes on at them, I really could care less.

Yeah, backhanded way of calling me a bigot. But that's ok. I know what I am, and I am not a bigot.

My child is taught to be kind and accepting of ALL people. Her teachers have told me that she reaches out especially to children that are perceived to be different by her classmates. We are white but live in a school district and neighborhood that is ethnically diverse and she never differentiates between the races as to whom she hangs out with, in fact, her best friend's parents are a mixed couple. In fact before I lived here, I made a conscious decision to live in a neighborhood WITH diversity so my child could see that we are all part of the same family, and that race is not the most important thing about a person, and doesn't have that much to do with what kind of person you are.

But acceptance of a person as a human being and acceptance of a lifestyle are two different things.

Luckily (?) your child, child's school, has not been affected yet, THAT YOU KNOW OF.

Unfortunately, since whether parents are notified about certain types of instruction or not, depends on how that type of instruction is classified, parents may not be aware of what the child is being exposed to, until after the exposure has already been made, or even never.

This is already going on around the country, and California is one of the states leading the way.

Everyone with a computer can look up the information for themselves, but here are a few links to get you started.

Obama’s Safe Schools Czar Advocated ‘Queering Elementary Education’

(CNSNews.com) – President Barack Obama’s safe schools czar wrote a foreword to a book in 1999 that called for elementary school children to explore their sexual identities, for teachers to incorporate homosexual themes in grades K-5, for discarding a “hetero-normative” approach to education and for “acknowledging children as sexual beings.”

The "Fistgate" conference: HERE'S what homosexual activists in schools do with children . . .

California Junior High Principal Apologizes For Not Warning Parents About Pro-Homosexual Program for 8th Graders

(CNSNews.com) – The principal and a teacher at Goleta Valley Junior High School in Santa Barbara County, California are apologizing to parents for not following school district policy relating to a pro-homosexual workshop given to 8th grade students in a leadership class at the school. The controversial workshop was presented by “Just Communities Central Coast” in three, 45-minute sessions over three days. It included handouts defining homosexual terminology, including queer and transgender, and listed “heterosexism” as “oppression that ‘pushes down’ people who are LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender and questioning) and ‘pushes up’ people who are straight.”

(bolded emphasis mine)

Kindergartners given homosexual 'pledge cards'

Let me ask this question. If, in the interest of keeping children safe from sexual abuse, are you going to sit down and give a child a graphic description of what that might entail? Would you want something like that to be mandated to take place in your child's school, or would you rather take care of explaining to your child what you felt they needed to know, and in what detail? If your child wanted to know how babies were made, wouldn't you want to be the one who decided how much information was appropriate to YOUR child?

I guess you would be ok with your daughter receiving information regarding being a stripper or prostitute as a valid lifestyle choice, as well? Do you think this would be appropriate subject to introduce in elementary school? How about discussing the subject of incest? Elementary school?

And about the fact that you would never go to a festival for gay people where you might be exposed to the type of behavior shown in the original link I provided, what about the people who LIVE in the neighborhoods where these type of activities are held? Cause you know these type of activities spill out into the surrounding areas when these types of events are going on. (Just like drunken activity from a bar can spill out into the surrounding areas, for example.) Why should they have to put up with this?

Also, why should this type of behavior in public be allowed for anyone? Public nudity and public sex are against the law, aren't they? Turning a blind eye to this kind of behavior just because the participants are gay seems like special treatment and an agenda to me.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by sezsue

You got ahead of me. Thanks for posting the links. I still think we'll never have an agreement here. I said deviant behavior in a post refering to bothe homosexuals and heterosexuals equally, and still have someone saying I was only slandering the homosexuals. Thank you again for pointing out that both sets of people should be arrested for public displays such as this. Straight or gay, it's not right.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by serenesupreme

Originally posted by sezsue

I do believe there is an agenda out there towards not just making people accept the homosexual lifestyle, but to actively indoctrinate young people into it.

:rolls eyes:. That's about as much of a response as that deserves.

Teaching tolerance of differences is one thing, but mandating explaining anything about any kind of sexual behavior to young children who probably don't even know how to tie their shoes yet, is outrageous. Doing so in a school setting against the wishes of their parents is outrageous.

If this isn't an exaggeration then I can't fathom what is. The only thing that is being taught in those classes is that when they grow up they will encounter same sex couples and there's is nothing wrong with that. Situations like the Fistgate fiasco are isolated incidences and are by no way condoned by any sensible human being, gay or straight.

As a christian, I believe the *practice* of homosexuality is wrong. I don't want anyone explaining homosexuality to my young child, that is my right and responsibility as a parent. However, I would never approve of anyone harming a person just because they were gay.

:Sigh: You don't practice being a homosexual. That would be like me saying I'm practicing being African American. You are homosexual or you aren't and no amount sexual education will influence whether or not a child is homosexual or heterosexual.

Also, you have the right as a parent to teach your child whatever you wish. If you feel the public school system is not teaching your children what you feel is fundamental to their growth to productive human beings or will somehow morally corrupt your children, then homeschooling is always a viable option.

Even though I believe the homosexual lifestyle is destructive due to what I have personally seen, and according to research I have done on the subject, I have no personal hatred for any gay person. I have known many gay people that I really liked.

I'm constantly hearing that the homosexual lifestyle is destructive. Please post the findings of your research so we can view the evidence.

[edit on 4-1-2010 by serenesupreme]

Thanks for not being TOO hard on me!

I'm not going to go through all of your responses to my comments because sometimes it's better to just *agree to disagree*.

But, as far as your *rolls eyes* comment above, see my response to the other poster above.

As far as your last comment about showing how the homosexual lifestyle could be destructive, the following DOES come from a christian (specifically Catholic, I think, not that I am a Catholic anymore, lol) website, but the statements are all referenced by number to the studies and articles the information comes from, this was just one of many articles I could have referenced.

Everyone Should Know these Statistics on Homosexuals

Funny, I couldn't really find any articles about the positive side of the homosexual lifestyle.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
What many people strongly opposing parades fail to understand is that if it's all hidden, nothing told to children, not even that gay exist until they're mature - it's so much easier for the controlling minority to inflict harm unto those they see unfit.

They gays (homosexuals) have kept hidden for centuries since the "new world order" kicked in the medieval ages. Since then there have been hangings, torture and other forms of harming them.

Keeping quiet didn't work

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sezsue

Wasn't calling you a bigot, I simply used the term bigot to say that I'm not raising my child to dislike people because of sexuality or skin color, which is what a bigot is. I realize now that you don't teach your child that stuf either, I just misread your post. And I've lived in California Bay Area my whole life, theres gay people here, who cares lol. Doesnt affect my life or my families life in anyway. Also I really don't think they are teaching anything about gay people in schools, I'm young myself (early 20s) and I was just in school a few years ago (well I finished high school about 5 years ago lol) and I don't recall ever being taught anything about gay people. I don't even see where learning about gay people would even fit into a grade, middle or high school curriculum.

And if this stuff IS happening in schools, I must say I'm completely against it. I have nothing against gay people, but little children don't need to be learning about that stuff.

And regarding the parades and fairs and stuff, like I said I never been to them so I have no idea what goes on at them. But San Fran is a very I guess the word is "accepting" place and most people in the city don't care about gay people or what they do at their fairs. I don't know if you ever been to san fran but the gay people aren't the only thing that certain parents would be worried about their kids seeing, there is also people all over the place there smoking pot and doing drugs openly all over the place. Which to me is a much bigger prob than a gay parade and I have nothing against pot or anything but its disgusting you can hardly walk around certain parts of the city without seeing homeless people shooting up or drunks everywhere or kids smoking joints everywhere. Really not the kind of stuff I want my daughter exposed to, you can avoid the gay parades and things, but you cant avoid the junkies.

Anyways, I wasn't trying to insult you or anything, you are entitled to a opionon just as I am. No hard feelings

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I think much of the homophobia you see out there is simply immaturity. There are a lot of younger people on the web who need to grow up.

When I was younger, I had homophobic ideas. I did not know (or at least I did not think I knew) many gay people. I thought all gay people fit the stereotypes you saw on TV of being really "sissies" I thought gay people would want to hit on me if they met me.

As I grew older I met gay people and realized they were alright. I also found out a few of my friends and relatives were gay.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jeasahtheseer

S'alright....at least we agree about Bob Marley and Redemption Song, and stopping the wars..... lol

Have a great evening, and, God Bless

sezsue

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by krzyspmac

I know a lot of gay people who do not approve of some aspects of the gay pride parades. Some portions of gay pride parades are lewd or even pornographic. These portions tarnish the images of gay people.

When the media covers gay pride parades, the sadomasochism float is more likely to wind up on the news than the marching band dressed in normal marching band uniforms. This in turn leads many people to think gay people are all degenerate perverts rather than normal people.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join