It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats with all the Homophobia?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Now im sure this is nothing new but lately I have been seeing an increase in homophobia lately not necessarily on ATS but in daily life. I find it hard to understand why to be perfectly honest (maybe im just being naïve) but hey! Remember aren’t we all Human! Why do people always want to dish out some abuse to some poor person for being themselves?

Now im not Gay but I still get pretty damn annoyed at the level of homophobia in this world and im not trying to attack this here but religion does come to mind when I think about homophobia especially when it comes to the Pope. Not forgetting some his comments from the past.

Pope Benedict was accused of stoking homophobia today after a speech in which he declared that saving humanity from homosexuality was just as important as saving the rainforest from destruction.

I can’t help thinking he needs to try living in this century rather than in medieval times to be honest. But that may just be one manes thoughts but that one man has hundreds of thousands of followers who listen to and try to follow his every word.

Something I feel that I must stress though is its just medieval thinking that has no place in this world anymore and it’s the same with stupid idiotic racists’ aswell and I hope that Hate like this is one day going to be a thing of the past.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
medievel times? try like 50 years ago. but c'mon the pope is like your old gramma who still calls black people "coloreds" and everything. I'm sure when there is a pope who was born after 1970 or so he'll be a little more lax. I mean this is the catholic church you're talking about here not the ACLU.

I actually take pride in all the sinful things I do that would offend the religious right. it makes me feel all warm and cozy inside

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

I agree with you. I'm not gay either, but I have many friends that are and they're all great people. I can't stand to see them put down over something that should really not be anyone else's business anyway.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I've often wondered why some groups, including religious groups, have such a vested interest in 'dehumanizing' others.

I have come to the conclusion that people need to feel as if they are better, somehow...or chosen, if you will.

We do this by ridiculing others for their nationality, beliefs, race, sexual orientation, etc. It's a pecking order, so to speak.

Which doesn't make it right, I'm not excusing intolerance at all. I just think that's the reason its still around today.....and probably will be, in some form or fashion, for a long time.

So how do we combat such blatant ignorance and hatred? Unfortunantly, it is very difficult to change an adult's perceptions and beliefs, although we can continue to appeal to reason, logic, and the basic humanity of all. However, I truly believe that the best way to overcome stereotypes and hatred lies with our children.

I will never forget the first time I discussed racial issues with my first grade students several years ago. It was a mixed group of at least three different races and nationalities. They just couldn't understand the concept that someone could hate someone else simply because of the color of their skin....it boggled their minds.

That gave me a lot of hope, to be honest.

Thanks for an important thead. Keep smiling, all!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
The ones most likely to be homophobic are also the ones most likely to be closet homosexuals themselves, that's my experience anyway. They're unable to resolve their sexuality with their upbringing or faith and resort to abusing others for reasons known only to themselves.

I know one man, back home, who smashed the car windows of men who'd parked up near a gay nightclub. He did it "for fun" in his late teens when he was a skinhead and flirting with the far right.

Now he's "out", quite happily living with his boyfriend and is a model citizen.

It's a strange thing, homophobia.

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Whats with all the Homophobia?

*sigh*

Okay, let's try this again...

First, not everyone who disagrees with gay marriage (etc. and so forth) is a 'homophobe'. The word indicates an innate fear of homosexuality and that is just not the case, same as those who disagree with the politics of the right and left are not 'Demophobes' or 'Republiphobes'.

Homophobia has become something of an action word used like a big brush to paint an image of those who do not immediately fall into line with the preferred thinking on the matter. The result is a wholly false image that does not represent the reality of the situation.

Best

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   

What's with all the homophobia? Well, what do you expect in a world overrun by simple minded fools have less brain function then a cockroach?

That's all I have to say...some times the people on this planet drives me crazy...

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
As far as I am concerned, I could care less if people are straight, gay, metrosexual, bisexual, or any other kind of sexual. I take that attitude because I know how difficult relationships are to build and maintain. If two or multiple people want to love each other regardless of sex.. more power to them.

As far as Gays and homophobia... it will continue to be a problem..and as I see it, gays bring a lot of it on themselves. As long as they continue to flaunt their sexuality, stage parades promoting gay life and display themselves in public in the manner which we are all aware, they are going to get the backlash from it.

I do not see straight couples in the streets with banners saying "We are straight and we are proud of it". So why do gay people feel the need to be so obnoxious??

People for the most part could care less about anyone else's sexuality..they just do not want it thrown in their face.

My suggestion.. love your partner... enjoy your sex life.. keep it to yourself, nobody wants to know about it...whatever your inclination.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
i am a christian so as you would probably guess i do not agree with gay sex but that doesnot give me the right to judge any gay man or woman and i never would i am no better than any one and any christian that thinks they are better than gays or anyone else should take another look at the bible and read some of the things jesus said like judge not lest you be judged
ps hate the sin not the sinner
[edit on 3-1-2010 by digby888]

[edit on 3-1-2010 by digby888]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I havent noticed a change in the way towards homophobia moreso lately, but then again, i'm bisexual and i'd be hard pressed to name any people i know that arent. Plus i don't watch MSM news enough to know what the pope is going on about nowdays, besides apparently praising the simpsons - anything to get more converters

When will people understand that it's not the GENDER of the person it's everything about them. Love is what it is - it doesnt discriminate.

Edited to add, besides gender it's also not about race, colour, size, religion etc. People can be so freakin narrow minded!

[edit on 3/1/2010 by bkaust]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Totalstranger

Because of this: Ontogeny of phylogeny is discombobulaed.

I would not be too worried about offending the religious right, I would be more concerned about offending your Creator God.

Tempis fugit, memento mori.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by fmcanarney]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by expat2368

Do you get many gay parades walking past your home in Moldova ?

I'd love to see the photographs

You know, for every queen manning a float, there's a thousand perfectly normal gay men getting on with life, just like you or I. You probably work with one and don't even know it. There might even be one in your family too, it's statistically likely.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
"I'm not homophobic, you're just heterophobic!"

Seriously, though, it is because they are a minority. The majority does not like it when a minority tries to change things that effect the majority. It happens all over the world in all cultures and peoples. There will always be people that want to do things differently or act differently and this is often frowned down upon by those who already live there.

Of course, there will be people that hide behind religious ideology to mask their extreme sense of homophobia, but they are a minority.

[edit on 3/1/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala
reply to post by expat2368

Do you get many gay parades walking past your home in Moldova ?

I'd love to see the photographs

You know, for every queen manning a float, there's a thousand perfectly normal gay men getting on with life, just like you or I. You probably work with one and don't even know it. There might even be one in your family too, it's statistically likely.

Exactly, not every gay man has the stereotypical accent and walk that they tend to portray on tv, same with people thinking all lesbians are vegans and dont shave their armpits!
. Regular people folks, nothing to see here.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It's not just homophobics that are on the rise. It's the people that go crazy about you believing in something different than they do. It's ignorance. Lots of people can't stand anything different than there views. It makes me feel alone in this world to think that I don't care if someone is gay, or straight, black or white, rich or middle class. I realize that we are all human, we are all one.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
Now im sure this is nothing new but lately I have been seeing an increase in homophobia lately not necessarily on ATS but in daily life. I find it hard to understand why to be perfectly honest (maybe im just being naïve) but hey! Remember aren’t we all Human! Why do people always want to dish out some abuse to some poor person for being themselves?

Now im not Gay but I still get pretty damn annoyed at the level of homophobia in this world and im not trying to attack this here but religion does come to mind when I think about homophobia especially when it comes to the Pope. Not forgetting some his comments from the past.

Pope Benedict was accused of stoking homophobia today after a speech in which he declared that saving humanity from homosexuality was just as important as saving the rainforest from destruction.

I can’t help thinking he needs to try living in this century rather than in medieval times to be honest. But that may just be one manes thoughts but that one man has hundreds of thousands of followers who listen to and try to follow his every word.

Something I feel that I must stress though is its just medieval thinking that has no place in this world anymore and it’s the same with stupid idiotic racists’ aswell and I hope that Hate like this is one day going to be a thing of the past.

This just in: Nazi pope disses the queers...

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
It's not just homophobics that are on the rise. It's the people that go crazy about you believing in something different than they do. It's ignorance. Lots of people can't stand anything different than there views. It makes me feel alone in this world to think that I don't care if someone is gay, or straight, black or white, rich or middle class. I realize that we are all human, we are all one.

While I DO agree in principle, I would add that realistically not every idea or sentiment is a good one..

For instance, gay-bashing would be protected as "just as valid as everything else" in this scenario.

the ONLY thing that makes sense it to think of us all as what we are, members of a society.

As long as we protect ourself from those that wish to damage society, we'll be A-OK.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Yes i agree there is a hell of alot of hate in this world.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Study shows that the most homophobic are usually those secretly harboring homosexual desires:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I don't see it as such. When you have large groups of people doing the whole we're here we're queer parades, trying to interject gay society as being the same as heterosexual society it's never gonna add up. The parades in San Fransicko, are disgusting. Couls a straight group do what they do,,,,,a resounding no. Deviant activity promoted by events such as these seem to broaden the gap. Is it wrong to be gay, not up to me to decide, but is it wrong to push your agenda on the rest of the populace, I'd say yes? Teaching children that it's o.k. to act in such irrational manners at these events is never a good thing, maybe if the homosexula aganda didn't involve these things, they'd me more readily accepted. It's no different that the way other groups are treated, when you have the most outlandish wierd people representing your cause, that's how people tend to view you. Playing the victim constantly also seems to diminish your cause as well, just like other groups. Finallly, trying to indoctrinate children in school and through other organizations is just wrong. when I went to school we didn't have any of this nonsense....no need for it. just my two cents.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by adifferentbreed]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join