It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask a Hindu anything!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
You can practise at home. You can also visit a local Temple, see if there are any around you. I would believe they would be happy to help you.

Hinduism has many branches, and may approach the practice in different ways.
I was very moved by the bhakti yoga vaisnava teachings of the Hare Krishna movement ISKCON, and it's founder AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. His books are excellent, but I think there organization fell some after he passed on. I also like the Siddha Yoga SYDA of Swami Muktananda, they have centers worldwide. Also like the Vedanta teachings of Swami Vivekananda, they have some centers too. There is a lot of Hindu based paths out there.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo_Child

Hi Indigo Child,

I find that your replies are brilliant. I am a Hindu and I should say, you definitely know more about Hinduism than me. I appreciate your effort in this forum. Please continue doing the excellent work.

Thanks & Regards,

Indian Guy.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Indigo Child hasn't posted in the thread in over a year.
I do hope others post and ask. Many of us are fairly knowledgeable.
I think I know a bit, and find the subject very interesting.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Hi Cosmic Artifact,

As such I am not aware of any evolutionary process. Hinduism has a king called Manu In his race have been born all human beings.

Also Hinduism has the concept of 'Dashaavatar' or the 10 incarnations of Lord Vishnu. They are
1 Matsya, the fish-avatar
2 Kurma, the tortoise-avatar
3 Varaha, the boar-avatar
4 Narasimha, the half man-half lion avatar
5 Vamana, the dwarf-avatar
6 Parashurama, sage with the axe
7 Rama, the king of Ayodhya
8 Krishna, the king of Dwarka
9 Gautama Buddha
10 Kalki ("Eternity", or "time", or "The Destroyer of foulness")

If you look at this list, you can see the transition happening from a fish to a man. It is definitely worth a thought.

Regards

Indian Guy

edit on 31-5-2011 by IndianGuy because: i am providing links to wikipedia for further reading if somebody may need it.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Abuaisha

Hi Abuaisha,

I feel that this is not true. Kalki cannot be Prophet Mohammed for many reasons. There might be some similarities, but they are mere coincidences. Kalki is yet to come .

Regards,

Indian Guy

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by IndianGuy
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Hi Cosmic Artifact,

As such I am not aware of any evolutionary process. Hinduism has a king called Manu In his race have been born all human beings.

Also Hinduism has the concept of 'Dashaavatar' or the 10 incarnations of Lord Vishnu. They are
1 Matsya, the fish-avatar
2 Kurma, the tortoise-avatar
3 Varaha, the boar-avatar
4 Narasimha, the half man-half lion avatar
5 Vamana, the dwarf-avatar
6 Parashurama, sage with the axe
7 Rama, the king of Ayodhya
8 Krishna, the king of Dwarka
9 Gautama Buddha
10 Kalki ("Eternity", or "time", or "The Destroyer of foulness")

If you look at this list, you can see the transition happening from a fish to a man. It is definitely worth a thought.

Regards

Indian Guy

edit on 31-5-2011 by IndianGuy because: i am providing links to wikipedia for further reading if somebody may need it.

that was an interesting read, much more interesting than the mundane Judaism/Christianity/Islam

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Doublemint

Hi Doublemint,

I don't think a temple would be interested in teaching you Hinduism. No temple in my knowledge has this function. Personally, if you get the company of some elder people associated with a temple, they might help you. You may use the Hinduism page of wikipedia to begin with.

There are a lot of Hindu organizations which can help you learn more. I have named a few of them below.

1) Chinmaya Mission
2) Ramakrishna Math
3) Arya Samaj
4) International Society for Krishna Consciousness

There are four Vedas namely
Rig -Veda,
Yajur-Veda,
Sama-Veda
Atharva-Veda

Bhagavad Gita is a part of Mahabharata, which is one of the Itihasa

Itihasa is the narration of events of bygone days. Vedas are more ancient than the Bhagavad-Gita. Most of the Gods that current Hindus worship may not be present in the Vedas. Bhagavad-Gita is directed towards the whole humanity rather than to Hindus alone. It deals with philosophy and a righteous way of life.

Also it might be worthy to learn about the main Deities whom Hindus worship in the present times.

Shiva
Vishnu and Krishna
Rama
Ganesha
Hanuman
Skandha / Murugan

Lakshmi
Saraswati
Parvati and Durga

I will try my best to help the people in this forum to know more about Hinduism.

Regards,

Indian Guy.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by IndianGuy

Thanks for the info I will be looking into more when I have time. But why did the Hindus change the current gods they worship?

Are the tempels just for the monks then?
edit on 3-6-2011 by Doublemint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo_Child

You mention "karmic costs", but who or what manages the "books"? That is, who or what keeps track of how someone or something lived and determine how they come back? Is it something a higher entity is charged with, or more on the order of the laws of nature. In any case, can you describe how the information about a given entity is stored or transmitted?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

The changing of gods do you mean how Ruda can be linked to Shiva. I took that from one of your links en.wikipedia.org....

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

In the beginning during the vedic period, the powers of nature were worshiped and these powers became the natural Gods for e.g. Agni and Varuna. Also the real meaning of their existence in the Vedas are very complex.

It is not that the Hindus have changed their Gods. But it is a process of evolution of thought, which has to be seen in the perspective of the advancement of science and technology in the daily life of people.

People always tend to adore somebody who has virtues beyond them but having similarities to the roles that they themselves play in daily life. The legends of Mahabharatha, Ramayana etc was transmitted from generation to generations and they increased the already existing status of God to all the prominent characters in these legends. Also in the holy books of Hindus are present the accounts of themselves being the incarnation of God, meant to serve a specific purpose and duty. For e.g. Lord Rama was the ideal man, the person whom every human should admire. So thus may have happened the gradual transition from the Gods of forces of Nature to that of more "human-like" Gods. Also people can relate better with Gods who themselves have family like setup like that of a common Indian man.

The temples are not for the monks alone, they are for all Hindus. We have a lot of temples, for whichever God a person may find worthy of worshiping. But the underlying principle is that all the devotion is channeled towards the "Brahman" or the Eternal.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Hello, I have a school assignment on Origins and Apocalyptic tales. I would like to understand your beliefs on how the world was created and how it will end and have created the following questions to help me do so. I would appreciate it if you were able to answer them. Please answer in as much depth as possible and if you have any queries feel free to ask them to clear it up. Thank you!
Long responses are fine

What is your belief on how the world and human life was created and how does it, if at all, differ from your friends or family?
Is this belief shared across your entire religion or does it differ with denominations?
Does this belief have any significance to you? Does it impact your day to day life or how you live it?

What is your belief on how the world will end, aka the “apocalypse”, and how does it differ, if at all, from your friends or family?
Is this belief shared across your entire religion or does it differ with denominations?
Does this belief have any significance to you? Does it impact your day to day life or how you live it?

Where did these beliefs come from?

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join