It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask a Hindu anything!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by eurotrash

Buddha was the son of a Hindu king, but because Buddhism is more widely practiced in other asian countries the gods have become very blended with other traditions, as the tale has spread and evolved around the world.

one of the main tenants of Buddhism is that you cannot participate in making weapons or in war or violence really.
in hinduism they have the tenant of ahimsa which is non violence and this is practiced widely by hindus, but hinduism like any other religion is a wide and varied philosophy and is quite complex when you get into details.

in my opinion western philosophy is very male dominated and based on force and assertiveness while in the east the cultures still have female representations of God and the while still male dominated the cultures are much much more passive and based on compassion.
God and the universe is a multi faceted evolving infinity and to lump billions of peoples ideas into a few paragraphs is of course impossible, in accuality Jesus teachings were very close to that of Buddhas and those spread throughout Hindu teachings
hope this helps

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
It appears Indigo Child hasn't loggen on in a little while.

• What specific books, chapters, or verses can I read to learn of creation according to Hinduism?

• Is there a Creator of mankind and/or the universe in Hinduism?

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Here is a link to a website that gives a overview of the creation account from different Hindu scriptures.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

Thank you TinFoilHatMan.

Can anyone tell me what is the book to start with to learn about this religion?
I am looking for the Hindu equivalent of Genesis or the Torah.
I know I can just Google it, but the Holy Texts of Hinduism seem numerous and overwhelming for a beginner like me. I don't know where to start.

edit on 12/17/10 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

If you mean the Oldest parts it would be the Vedas. The Rig Veda is the first one and is a collection of hymns. Then it's the Sama Veda, Yajur Veda, and Atharva Veda.

Here is a link to a site that has the Vedas translated as well as numerous other Hindu scripture. Link

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo_Child

mujhse dosti karoge ?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
mujhse dosti karoge ?

I think it is kinda against the rules to do that, but still....

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Hi,

Hinduism has been a big interest of mine for many years. I won't proclaim to be an expert on it, and I am a bit rusty now than when I was more active, but I did used to be a Brahmacharya of the Gaudiya Vaisnava branch of Hinduism, or as they preferred to call it, Sanatana Dharma. While the Vedas are considered the main scriptures, Hindus have a large amount of Holy Books they use and revere. I would say, if one is looking for a single text that can be most comparable to the Bible, Quran, etc, of Hinduism, then it would be the Bhagavad Gita. This single book clearly and philosophically lays out the core ideas of Hinduism and it's practice. Another popular set of books, that is part of the Vedas is the Upanishads and delves into deep spiritual philosophy, but they are readable and sensible. Another good text is the multi-volume Srimad Bhagavatam.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
How about the Hindu's... do they believe in Darwin's Theory of evolution ?

(from Apes to Man)

or do the Hindu's believe in evolution but that we evolved as our own species ?

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Hindus believe in a spiritual evolution through the various species. There is a number of species, I don't recall at the moment, and the "soul" or atman evolves through each one advancing in consciousness, till one is able to self consider his spiritual advancement and make the effort to purposely attain the spiritual realms. In materialistic or physical terms, I think they would agree more with evolution than with creationism, that's just my take on it though. There innumerable planets in the Hindu cosmology that are inhabited, and are of various states of conscious development.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by tom502
Hindus believe in a spiritual evolution through the various species. There is a number of species, I don't recall at the moment, and the "soul" or atman evolves through each one advancing in consciousness, till one is able to self consider his spiritual advancement and make the effort to purposely attain the spiritual realms. In materialistic or physical terms, I think they would agree more with evolution than with creationism, that's just my take on it though. There innumerable planets in the Hindu cosmology that are inhabited, and are of various states of conscious development.

yes but that really still does not establish their views on Creation and then Evolution (or does it?)

a Deity created Apes, the cousin of man, which in turn evolved beside humans just as humans are evolving... all Humans or Apes for that matter coming from 1 source...
edit on 12/26/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I say again, I am very rusty, and was not an expert. I was a Hindu monk, and did home study/practice, and stayed at many temples, but that was a while back.

My understanding of this, is in many ways it's an eternal mystery(how it all began), but my take on it, is that Brahman is all encompassing as all, so no, a diety did not make apes, or man", the species always are, as menifestations of Brahaman(God), each specie has it's own level of physical and mental abilities, which the Atman, or Jiva, evolves through, via transmigration, or reincarnation. This might be a good topic to google, for myself as well. But the above, I do believe is consistant with basic Hindu thought.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by tom502

cool this is very similar to Buddhists...

I will make my own survey among the people I work with and friends, afterall I live in a very diverse area, I appreciate your replies.

its a heavy topic it would seem

but I like all opinions I can get about Creation Vs Evolution from the different cultures, Evolution would seem very anglophone and somewhat not too cool to alot of the other cultures on this planet. Since the dawning of the Net it would seem to be getting less secular as we go.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

Maybe because they want the spice in their life! Just kiddin, I realy think it might be because they might have been doing it to long, and maybe their parent played a role in their choice of flavor they like to put in their food, plus i think it might be like how people like to put hot sause on their sandwitch, or just about everything they eat. Something to think about I guess. LOL

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Vedic Dharma is the most perfect sublime religion on the planet. No other religion can compare to it's ancient and perfect nature.

BG 6.10: A transcendentalist should always engage his body, mind and self in relationship with the Supreme; he should live alone in a secluded place and should always carefully control his mind. He should be free from desires and feelings of possessiveness.

BG 6.11-12: To practice yoga, one should go to a secluded place and should lay kuśa grass on the ground and then cover it with a deerskin and a soft cloth. The seat should be neither too high nor too low and should be situated in a sacred place. The yogī should then sit on it very firmly and practice yoga to purify the heart by controlling his mind, senses and activities and fixing the mind on one point.

BG 6.13-14: One should hold one's body, neck and head erect in a straight line and stare steadily at the tip of the nose. Thus, with an unagitated, subdued mind, devoid of fear, completely free from sex life, one should meditate upon Me within the heart and make Me the ultimate goal of life.

BG 6.15: Thus practicing constant control of the body, mind and activities, the mystic transcendentalist, his mind regulated, attains to the kingdom of God [or the abode of Kṛṣṇa] by cessation of material existence.

BG 6.16: There is no possibility of one's becoming a yogī, O Arjuna, if one eats too much or eats too little, sleeps too much or does not sleep enough.

BG 6.17: He who is regulated in his habits of eating, sleeping, recreation and work can mitigate all material pains by practicing the yoga system.

BG 6.18: When the yogī, by practice of yoga, disciplines his mental activities and becomes situated in transcendence — devoid of all material desires — he is said to be well established in yoga.

BG 6.19: As a lamp in a windless place does not waver, so the transcendentalist, whose mind is controlled, remains always steady in his meditation on the transcendent self.

BG 6.20-23: In the stage of perfection called trance, or samādhi, one's mind is completely restrained from material mental activities by practice of yoga. This perfection is characterized by one's ability to see the self by the pure mind and to relish and rejoice in the self. In that joyous state, one is situated in boundless transcendental happiness, realized through transcendental senses. Established thus, one never departs from the truth, and upon gaining this he thinks there is no greater gain. Being situated in such a position, one is never shaken, even in the midst of greatest difficulty. This indeed is actual freedom from all miseries arising from material contact.

BG 6.24: One should engage oneself in the practice of yoga with determination and faith and not be deviated from the path. One should abandon, without exception, all material desires born of mental speculation and thus control all the senses on all sides by the mind.

BG 6.25: Gradually, step by step, one should become situated in trance by means of intelligence sustained by full conviction, and thus the mind should be fixed on the self alone and should think of nothing else.

BG 6.26: From wherever the mind wanders due to its flickering and unsteady nature, one must certainly withdraw it and bring it back under the control of the self.

BG 6.27: The yogī whose mind is fixed on Me verily attains the highest perfection of transcendental happiness. He is beyond the mode of passion, he realizes his qualitative identity with the Supreme, and thus he is freed from all reactions to past deeds.

BG 6.28: Thus the self-controlled yogī, constantly engaged in yoga practice, becomes free from all material contamination and achieves the highest stage of perfect happiness in transcendental loving service to the Lord.

BG 6.29: A true yogī observes Me in all beings and also sees every being in Me. Indeed, the self-realized person sees Me, the same Supreme Lord, everywhere.

BG 6.30: For one who sees Me everywhere and sees everything in Me, I am never lost, nor is he ever lost to Me.

BG 6.31: Such a yogī, who engages in the worshipful service of the Supersoul, knowing that I and the Supersoul are one, remains always in Me in all circumstances.

BG 6.32: He is a perfect yogī who, by comparison to his own self, sees the true equality of all beings, in both their happiness and their distress, O Arjuna!

BG 6.33: Arjuna said: O Madhusūdana, the system of yoga which You have summarized appears impractical and unendurable to me, for the mind is restless and unsteady.

BG 6.34: For the mind is restless, turbulent, obstinate and very strong, O Kṛṣṇa, and to subdue it, I think, is more difficult than controlling the wind.

BG 6.35: Lord Śrī Kṛṣṇa said: O mighty-armed son of Kuntī, it is undoubtedly very difficult to curb the restless mind, but it is possible by suitable practice and by detachment.

BG 6.36: For one whose mind is unbridled, self-realization is difficult work. But he whose mind is controlled and who strives by appropriate means is assured of success. That is My opinion.

BG 6.37: Arjuna said: O Kṛṣṇa, what is the destination of the unsuccessful transcendentalist, who in the beginning takes to the process of self-realization with faith but who later desists due to worldly-mindedness and thus does not attain perfection in mysticism?

BG 6.38: O mighty-armed Kṛṣṇa, does not such a man, who is bewildered from the path of transcendence, fall away from both spiritual and material success and perish like a riven cloud, with no position in any sphere?

BG 6.39: This is my doubt, O Kṛṣṇa, and I ask You to dispel it completely. But for You, no one is to be found who can destroy this doubt.

BG 6.40: The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: Son of Pṛthā, a transcendentalist engaged in auspicious activities does not meet with destruction either in this world or in the spiritual world; one who does good, My friend, is never overcome by evil.

BG 6.41: The unsuccessful yogī, after many, many years of enjoyment on the planets of the pious living entities, is born into a family of righteous people, or into a family of rich aristocracy.

BG 6.42: Or [if unsuccessful after long practice of yoga] he takes his birth in a family of transcendentalists who are surely great in wisdom. Certainly, such a birth is rare in this world.

BG 6.43: On taking such a birth, he revives the divine consciousness of his previous life, and he again tries to make further progress in order to achieve complete success, O son of Kuru.

BG 6.44: By virtue of the divine consciousness of his previous life, he automatically becomes attracted to the yogic principles — even without seeking them. Such an inquisitive transcendentalist stands always above the ritualistic principles of the scriptures.

BG 6.45: And when the yogī engages himself with sincere endeavor in making further progress, being washed of all contaminations, then ultimately, achieving perfection after many, many births of practice, he attains the supreme goal.

BG 6.46: A yogī is greater than the ascetic, greater than the empiricist and greater than the fruitive worker. Therefore, O Arjuna, in all circumstances, be a yogī.

BG 6.47: And of all yogīs, the one with great faith who always abides in Me, thinks of Me within himself, and renders transcendental loving service to Me — he is the most intimately united with Me in yoga and is the highest of all. That is My opinion.

vedabase.net...

posted on Mar, 11 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I have been practicing the Gaudiya Vaishnavism of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and I can say that this is the most sublime and perfect Dharma. Please read more at vedabase.net...
edit on 11-3-2011 by ShaktipatSeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I wanted to expand on the answers given above regarding evolution.

The Vedas teach that all forms of life are there from the beginning. (also noteworthy to keep in mind that the material creation itself is continuously destroyed and reborn again and again)
According to the Vedas there are 8million 400 thousand species of life - divisions amongst groups are also givensuch as :
2 million are botanical, 1,100,000 are insect, 1 million flies and birds, 3 million are beast.

Now you may very well realize this is only 7 million in total so where are the other million?
They are the Demi gods, demons (rakshasas) and various other life forms which inhabit the lower and upper planetary systems.

You see it is very important to keep in mind that the Vedas is very thorough in detailing not just this universe, but parallel universes of which there are countless.

Now THIS is where we answer the question of where "extinct" species go and how does the number 8,400,000 remain the same?
Because that number is a total of species in the material creation as a whole. It is not just this planet earth. There are countless planet earths in parallel universes. And those universes have their own Brahmas, and are on different "timezones:"

To simplify.... on this planet earth it's 2011AD (according to our calendar) but on a parallel earth it is 2,880,973 BC and on another it is 5600 AD,,, etc etc - countless times over.

So while dinosaurs may be extinct in this "earth" they are very much alive on parallel earths due to the time zone differences.

Of course not all parallel universes have identical histories - each one is unique.

This is the reason given to explain why some Vedas will give an account of one story different to another Veda or Purana (The Ramayana is a classic example of this- details change often according to version) Because there are subtle differences in the corresponding universes.

Since often the Vedic texts are dictated by heavenly personalities who have the capability to travel between different worlds (Such as Narada Muni/ Devarsi Narada/ Sage Angira etc) to writers who are on earth - so the story will reflect the history of whichever universe it was that the Sage visited.

Hence you have examples such as sometimes Lord Rama's father Dasarath describes his son as Syam (black), yet later in another version of Ramayana written long after - he is described as Green.

Hope this helps answer some questions about Evolution - and no doubt it will prompt MANY questions about vedic cosmology/ universes and such.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
BTW,

Since the OP appears to be taking a break - please feel free to ask me anything about Hinduism.
Just FYI I am 32 years old female born in Australia, my grandparents are Indian I was raised between Hindu mother and Jehovahs witness father - so I have a very diverse religious background. I have a home in India where my children attend school at various times.
I am currently studying Indian culture/ languages and religion at University.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by RADHESYAM

hello, I have a few question.

If I was to go to India and go to a Hindu temple would they be willing to teach me?

How many books of the vedas are there? and how does the Bhagavad-Gita tie into those books?

How would you suggest I go about learning more of the Hindu religion? to let you know I do own one book of the vedas and the Bhagavad-Gita and I have the internet of course.

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo_Child

Great thread!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join