It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask a Hindu anything!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by beautyfoul
Shiva is sometimes depicted as being blue in color. What does this mean?

Shiva's another name 'Neelkanth' (blue throat). It's said that once the Gods had offended a great sage (priest). As punishment, the sage made the Devtas weak and powerless. In the on going battle between the Gods and the Demons, this would have proved to be a great disadvantage to the Devtas. The thought about how to solve the problem for a long time, but did not know how to remove their aliment. Finally, they decided to approach Vishnu, the Preserver.

Vishnu advised them to enlist the help of their archenemies, the demons, to uproot Mount Mandara. With this mountain, they would need to use the divine serpent, Vasuki, to hold the mountain up as gods and demons together held the serpent and used the mountain to stir the ocean. From this, would be produced the remedy for the Devtas ailment, in the form of the nectar of immortality. The Devtas originally did not wish to approach the demons for help, but seeing that they had no other choice, they agreed reluctantly.

When the demons heard of the plan, they were elated for they knew from this they would be able to attain the nectar of immortality which would make them very much stronger than they were. They therefore joined with the Devtas to uproot the mountain. Eventually, when the stirring was about to commence, the leader of the Devtas, Indra, insisted on having the head end of the serpent. The demons figured that the Devtas wished to obtain some advantage from having the head end, therefore they denied Indra and took the head end for themselves.

In fact, this was a ploy on the part of the Devtas, as instructed by Vishnu. The head of the serpent produced venom that would weaken the demons when they held it. However, the demons were oblivious to this, and they started stirring the ocean without knowing they were getting weaker.

So the churning went on for one hundred years, and in the process, many things came out of the ocean. One of this was the beautiful goddess, Lakshmi, who emerged from the ocean on a lotus flower. The divine bovine, Surabhi, also was produced from the stirring. Surabhi later had a son, Nandi, whom became the mount of Shiva, the Destroyer. A crescent moon also arose from the waves, and Shiva snatched it up and placed the crescent upon his forehead.

In the middle of the stirring, the venom suddenly ejected venom from all his one hundred heads of the serpent that was so poisonous that it almost destroyed everything on earth. Shiva, under Vishnu's persuasion, swallowed all the poison which the serpent produced. The poison was harmless to Shiva, for he was the supreme God and the Destroyer. However, the venomous poison left a blue colour on his throat that would not go away.

Also, is Shiva supposed to be a male or female God? Or can Shiva be either male of female demending on ...???

Shiva is a male God. His wife is Parviti. I am not sure but I don't think nor have heard that he can be either male or female.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
so yeah i dont want to have toread the whole list of stuff here so forgive me if some of my questions are alredy answered

i have very limited knowledge of hinduism so i would like a kind of crash course in it

what are some of the main tenets i guess

kind of like a doctrinal statement is what i am looking for =D

thank you

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
So what do the people of India think of the Vedas?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo_Child

Ask a Hindu anything!

if you had to pick one of the following to be earth's absolute god for one day, which would you choose?

1) moses
2) jesus
3) mohammed

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I'd like to ask about the Hindu prophecies of a god coming to earth sometime soon, the god walking as a man on earth? Am i right in thinking Hindus believe it will be the return of Krishna? But what will he do? And how will he be? And how will people know its him due to the many prophecies from different cultures which say, Christ will arrive and save us all, the new Buddha will appear, Pahana will return, Quetzalcoatl will come back, lif will come and go, the dragon of god will beat the dragon of evil, Mahdi will set the record straight, Maitreya is coming, Messiah will make such and such for us, The New Spiritual leader will be here soon, You know wot i mean. Theres so many similar prophecies hes gonna know of this and will have to be the man for everyone, was jus wondering wot hindus expect of him and when cause i havent yet been able to find detailed descriptions of such

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Hi there,

What is a meaning of word "Hinduism"? Is this a religion name? Do you find any mentioning of word "Hindusim" in the hindu scriptures?

Many thanks.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   

I Love this verse when it comes in any religion scriptures. This remind mankind that our Lord is one.

"In the Vedas(the oldest and most sacred of Hindu scripture) it says very explicitly, “There is only one god, he is one without a second” and “In the beginning was the ONE"

Same you will find in Islam in chapter Al Ikhlas

Say (O Muhammed (SAW)): "He is Allah, (the) One.
"Allah-us-Samad (Allah- the Self Sufficient Master, Whom all creatures need, (He) neither eats nor drinks)].
"He begets not, nor was He begotten;
"And there is none co-equal or comparable unto Him."

In Islam, there are 99 names/attributes of Almight Lord.

Perfectly translate the names and attributes of Allah from their original Arabic into English.

As-Samad : The Eternal, The Independent.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Hi there,

Can i have your feedback regarding below commentary

www.central-mosque.com...

Many thanks.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Hi,

Are you from India?...Well I am.

could you perhaps explain the concept of universal consciousness?...how can I tap into this?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Its been an absolute delight to read your thread. Thank you for your informative discussion. May light and love continue to guide your path

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Hinduism is another idiotic tribal religion which was good when it was created , just like everything else...it is source of india's destruction.

India as a country will never unite under the classification (divide and rule) tribal religion.

Islam was far better than Hinduism anyday. It was democratic religion when it came to existance. It gave freedom to poor people like now capitalism gives individual the right to speak their mind.

Anything has expiry date , islam expiry date is long gone. it exist for sure but it can't control people or make people inspire , it is more of reactive religion with enemy as the center.

Without enemy , islam dies. its heart is there is an enemy (infiedels).

if you see any muslim country , you need strong leader to control them.Enemy create fear that makes them united and fight.

I do think though world need new religion for 21st century. That can propagate ideas and growth and freedom. Does it have to be God based?

Only way anything to grow it needs achievable goals constantly. Revamp itself again and again and shed its skin.

Do not waste time on useless hinduism or any religion for that matter.

Ask questions , never agree or disagree.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Hindu society is a CONMAN RACIST society. They create conman in abundance. if you see every swamy , gurus with mumbo jumbo , if you dig deep , they are just like every common man with greed and evil. Their goal is always keep people in ignorance. if every one wake up there is no need of Gurus.

So the basic concept of Guru is a flawed meaning. Guru can not be guru if he teaches the truth. He has to be conman to elevate himself to be a guru.

posted on Sep, 18 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Con-ning and prostitution are most oldest two profession. Both are in abundance in the hindu society from the beginning

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Hello

I've read your replies and you've taught me so much already! Thank you. I am so interested in everything!!

Knowledge is the highest and greatest virtue, and is free for all, for it is indeed our universal right, and once one attains knowledge; he learns wisdom.

I have made this my life's quote! It makes so much sense

You mentioned Brahms somewhere in your replies I googled it and read a little. I just started reading it; can you explain to me the difference between Advaita and Dvaita please?
And also what does "monasticism" mean?

Thank you!!

posted on Oct, 28 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Do Buddhists believe in Hindu Gods? I remember reading that Siddhartha was scared about teaching others about enlightenment but a Hindu God appeared to him and persuaded him to share what he learned.

Why are the eastern religions less violent than the western ones? For example, Christianity had the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, etc. I've never heard about any Hindu religious war, or am I wrong?

Could you recommend a good book?

edit on 28-10-2010 by eurotrash because: added something

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Are you an english speaking Hindu from India?

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by pokerking

asdfsadfaText Green
no enlightened being declares themselves a "Guru". The power of there presence makes people want to be around them and the amazing amount of mind dissolving light that flows from their heart through their mind and out their mouth taking on the form of words makes people want to listen. a truly realized being is not seperate from other minds, The idea of a Guru is that they are you when you realize what you really are, a multidimensional infinite timeless spirit. when someone finds their Sat Guru (final Guru that guides you into total liberation) you know it on a level so deep within your being that physical reality seems like but a ripple on the surface compared to the depths that are awakened by this unique relationship.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Text GreenText
it is also very confusing because of the varied and complex stories that surround the three Primal and highest Gods Brahma the creator, Vishnu the Preserver, and Shiva the destroyer. each represents different aspects of the intelligent infinite oneness that is the root of all existence. Brahma is the father aspect of existense being the beginning of all existence, the outpouring God head of Existence. Vishnu or Narayana is the awareness aspect of the oneness, all consciousness in the universe is connected and it is fully aware of its existence Vishnu is this awareness at the beginning all the way through all levels of existence. Shiva is the ultimate goal of consciousness and awareness in existence, he is also that which pulls everything back towards oneness.Being timeless, he is all of consciosness's end result as being fully realized without any karma or illusion, but shiva is also the game that allows this karma to exist and is the games that makes this karma dissolve.

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

Text
well its ask a hindu anything and you didnt even put a hindu Savior or God or Teacher as an option, but probably Jesus if you asked me

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by eurotrash

Buddha was the son of a Hindu king, but because Buddhism is more widely practiced in other asian countries the gods have become very blended with other traditions, as the tale has spread and evolved around the world.

one of the main tenants of Buddhism is that you cannot participate in making weapons or in war or violence really.
in hinduism they have the tenant of ahimsa which is non violence and this is practiced widely by hindus, but hinduism like any other religion is a wide and varied philosophy and is quite complex when you get into details.

in my opinion western philosophy is very male dominated and based on force and assertiveness while in the east the cultures still have female representations of God and the while still male dominated the cultures are much much more passive and based on compassion.
God and the universe is a multi faceted evolving infinity and to lump billions of peoples ideas into a few paragraphs is of course impossible, in accuality Jesus teachings were very close to that of Buddhas and those spread throughout Hindu teachings
hope this helps

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join