It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's confirmed 2012 prediction - Deterioration of Earth's Magnetosphere during Sun's Polar shif

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
The Earth's magnetic field is weak. The magnetosphere is measured in nT, nanoTesla.

Studies do not seen any correlation between magnetic reversal events and extinctions in the fossil record.These events do not appear to pose any sort of threat.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Yeah you are right. Earths magnetic field has predominances also with magnetic loops exiting and entering at different points. The sun's main magnetic poles are where the lines mainly come straight out in his picture. The suns magnetic field also extends out to the heliosphere where it forms a strange thing that helps protect us from the solar wind. I hate big words.

posted on Oct, 28 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

interest stuff.

thought, NASA would never actually admit to catastrophic/extinction level events... would they?

posted on Oct, 29 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I can debunk this right here from things i've learned right here on this website.

Nothing will happen to us when the suns poles shift, in fact it has happened before, millons of times to be exact.
The suns poles change every 11 years, and when it happens, nothing different happens here on earth.

Don't believe me? Google it

And there is no real evidence showing me that this is "CONFIRMED" by NASA.
edit on 29-10-2012 by OGOldGreg because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by OGOldGreg

The phrase "an ounce of prevention is a pound of cure" sums up the entire interview of Dr, Kaku. Yes, these cycles have happened a million times before, but if you watched the interview, Kaku stated that the last time this event has occurred, there weren't as many satellites in orbit as there are today. In today's technologically driven world, no matter how small the chance of our satellites being knock out of orbit actually is, the risk is too great to be ignored.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmoothRhythm
reply to post by OGOldGreg

The phrase "an ounce of prevention is a pound of cure" sums up the entire interview of Dr, Kaku. Yes, these cycles have happened a million times before, but if you watched the interview, Kaku stated that the last time this event has occurred, there weren't as many satellites in orbit as there are today. In today's technologically driven world, no matter how small the chance of our satellites being knock out of orbit actually is, the risk is too great to be ignored.

how, exactly is a reversal of the suns magnetic field millions of miles away going to have the effect of knocking satellites out of orbit?

here is an interesting test you can conduct yourself to see the possible effects.

Get a large speaker magnet, and put it in a room. face it directly. Feel anything?

now, turn around 180 degrees, so your facing the other way. feel anything different? you have just reversed a magnetic field HUNDREDS of times more powerful than the earths around your body........and nothing happenned

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by siliconpsychosis

how, exactly is a reversal of the suns magnetic field millions of miles away going to have the effect of knocking satellites out of orbit?

here is an interesting test you can conduct yourself to see the possible effects.

Get a large speaker magnet, and put it in a room. face it directly. Feel anything?

now, turn around 180 degrees, so your facing the other way. feel anything different? you have just reversed a magnetic field HUNDREDS of times more powerful than the earths around your body........and nothing happenned

I think you misunderstood the concern. The issue is not whether a reversal of the Sun's magnetic poles could damage satellites; this happens roughly every 11 years. A reversal of the Earth's magnetic field could expose satellites in Earth orbit to the full effect of the solar wind for a period of time. This could cause great damage to their electronics.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by siliconpsychosis

I think you misunderstood the concern. The issue is not whether a reversal of the Sun's magnetic poles could damage satellites; this happens roughly every 11 years. A reversal of the Earth's magnetic field could expose satellites in Earth orbit to the full effect of the solar wind for a period of time. This could cause great damage to their electronics.

doubtful, since even if the magnetic poles were to suddenly shift, overall the only effect of the earths magnetic field "ball" would be that it rotates about a new axis. the fields would still be there - it cannot completely disappear short of the iron core of the planet ceasing to spin.

You may get a few, brief weak spots, but there will still be a field present.

I do believe that the geological records of previous magnetic shifts show it takes some considerable time to happen and i dont think its a case of FIELD WORKING.......FIELD OFF......FIELD FLIP......FIELD ON

the earths magnetic poles are in constant motion anyway and are never in the same spot from day to day,.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join