It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's confirmed 2012 prediction - Deterioration of Earth's Magnetosphere during Sun's Polar shif

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by frugal

Anyways, being without electricity can be endured the pioneers did it.

not real sure but I think things ran a little differently back in the pioneers day.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I think some people in this thread misunderstand what Michio Kaku is saying. 2012 has nothing to do with his prediction. He is not saying that it will happen this 2012. It could be any solar maximum year and he would be saying the same thing. At some point, it is going to be a problem, so we should be taking steps to prevention instead of waiting for something to happen before acting. He is just warning that during these times when the sun is at its most volatile, there is a very real risk.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I can tell you guys something will happen that will cause all eletronics to be fried, don't know when or how, and don't ask me how I know. But it is divine and will happen according to God's will.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by segurelha
Your insight is really fantastic and very good!
I am amazed as no one has not seen that before.

I am sure the Mayans (probably through shamanistic practices) have come to the secrets of the cycles of the universe. However, it could be that 2012 is just some spiritual event, some change in our philosophy, that we dont fully understand.

The entheogens (ayahuasca) that the Mayans used were key to their understanding the nature of the planets and Reality itself. It's as if they built their calendar backwards...they knew time and Reality itself would shift in 2012, so they started there and worked backwards. Time will not exist as we know it after the shift, so no need for a calendar that goes beyond the end date singularity.

-Boypony

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by DwaynetheSpecious
You make it sound like the world is going to end. Yes, if a big solar storm will occur then we will face a lot of problem with our technology.

Remember, in 1859 the biggest solar storm recorded occurred.

From August 28, 1859 until September 2, 1859 numerous sunspots and solar flares were observed on the sun. Just before noon on September 1, the British astronomer Richard Carrington observed the largest flare,[3] which caused a massive coronal mass ejection (CME), to travel directly toward Earth, a journey of 18 hours. This is remarkable because such a journey normally takes three to four days. It moved so quickly because an earlier CME had cleared its way.[4]

Ice cores show evidence that events of similar intensity recur at an average rate of approximately once per 500 years. Since 1859, less severe storms have occurred in 1921 and 1960, when widespread radio disruption was reported.[3]

Source

[edit on 3-1-2010 by DwaynetheSpecious]

Ummmmmmmmm.....we didn't even have an electric grid in the 1800's....not to mention cars, satellites, and cell phones to worry about failing!
-Boypony

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boypony

Ummmmmmmmm.....we didn't even have an electric grid in the 1800's....not to mention cars, satellites, and cell phones to worry about failing!
-Boypony

No surprise that someone who just made up a bunch of stuff about drugs, the mayans, and their calendar is ill informed on what existed in the 1800's.

edit: A number of deaths from the Great Blizzard of 1888 were attributed to collapsing overhead power lines in New York City.[8][9]

[edit on 3-1-2010 by watcher73]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I find myself some what reminded of Isaac Asimov's book Nightfall .

If we are to speculate , could it be that 2012 is the end to some celestial cycle who's end result triggers some world event that resets civilization back to square one ?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Also, in 2012, the earth will be crossing the galactic center and become exposed to radiation that way too.
I know I read a couple articles about it.
Will try to post some links.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Good thread. What I think is helpful instead of shooting down all these theories, I am being assertive and quantifying all the information so as to make my own educated opinion. Bottom line is we have 35 months to keep gathering intel and waiting for the government to release as much as they know, because as I have heard from my sources is that NASA knows quite a lot and its on the same scale as our Alien/UFO disclosure. Why would a bunch of governments and countries get together, spend millions of dollars, and hand pick the most fertile and highest quality seeds for a doomsday seed bank? Makes you think twice about shrugging this off.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I'm all for evidence that the government is admitting something is about to go down. But all I see is conjecture of data from sources colliding into a biased output. There is no press release from nasa, or any academic university. And as great as Mitchuyako(sp heh?) is, he is a theorist mostly. We all know the magnetic pole is weakening IN PARTS not entirely. As to what this means? Maybe Haarp is an attempt to shield us from what is to come and not a weapon? It's all theories. But there is nothing form that says to be worried for doom in 2012. The earth is always changing, always shifting. We find a way.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by minigunner

Yeah.....the seeds that are being stored in Iceland.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by minigunner
[more

Woops !!

[edit on 3-1-2010 by Lacenaire]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

No scientists have come out saying the 2012 Doomsday scenarios have any credence and most have come out debunking the theories. Some have claimed that the solar pole shift will cause power outages and the like but as has been stated in this thread before scientists are still figuring out when the sun will do the shifting and how much an effect that will have.

I hate this 2012 crap. If ANYTHING remotely devastating happens in 2012 or 2013 the people who push this 2012 stuff will jump all over it as a "sign" or proof that the Mayans were off by a couple days but were overall correct. This way they can keep their new age pseudoscience selling books and raking in profits long after 2012 has come and gone with a whimper not a bang.

Which is why I hope 2012 is the quietest year we have on record as far as worldwide catastrophe, just to keep these people from spreading their nonsense and making money off the gullible.

Will something big happen in 2012, yes. Has there ever been a year in which nothing "big" happened? The world and the Universe is in an ever constant state of change of course something is going to happen and when it does we will have a self-fulfilling prophecy on our hands.

Edit to Add: As for the reports of governments and such "gearing up" for 2012, I see this as no different from those governments that took steps to prepare for Y2K. A better safe than sorry approach doesn't prove they "know" something is coming down the line and the reports of them preparing could easily be made up or greatly exaggerated versions of the truth.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I don't know if this has been posted yet as i have not read the entire thread. However, This is from NASA and its dated 11-9-09. So unless something dramatic has changed since then. Im not to worried.

2012: Beginning of the End or Why the World Won't End?

*awaits the nasa is part of the conspiracy replies*

*edit*
I also should add this. Its on the above article.

"There apparently is a great deal of interest in celestial bodies, and their locations and trajectories at the end of the calendar year 2012. Now, I for one love a good book or movie as much as the next guy. But the stuff flying around through cyberspace, TV and the movies is not based on science. There is even a fake NASA news release out there..." - Don Yeomans, NASA senior research scientist

[edit on 3-1-2010 by Cruxshadows]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Gravity is a fact, yet it is described in a humble theory. So is relativity, photonics, evolution, aerodynamics (including "lift" which is what keeps airplanes in the sky -- still "just a theory"), etc.

When a theory can be tested rigorously such as Newton's laws of gravity & gravitation, then yes it's a fact unless anyone wants to be plainly ignorant. Even certain facts that are labelled as a theory have sometimes been left as the theory of ........ because that's what seemed to suit scientists at the time.

www.talkorigins.org...

In the American vernacular, "theory" often means "imperfect fact"--part of a hierarchy of confidence running downhill from fact to theory to hypothesis to guess.

And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome.

Moreover, "fact" doesn't mean "absolute certainty"; there ain't no such animal in an exciting and complex world. The final proofs of logic and mathematics flow deductively from stated premises and achieve certainty only because they are not about the empirical world.

In science "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional consent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by john124]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by -zLFz-

In my opinion
This event will occur, and it will be the second process of moving into the age of enlightenment.

Isn't it a bit arrogant to assume that any natural event that has been occurring every solar cycle is going to be specifically about us humans. These cycles are just another natural effect much like the weather here on earth. Does the rain cause enlightenment?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Lacenaire

Also, in 2012, the earth will be crossing the galactic center and become exposed to radiation that way too.

The Sun is nowhere near the galactic center, we're on a spiral arm nearer the edges of the milky way.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by john124]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
B.S. It's just more fear mongering like Y2K was and like terrorism is now. Although terrorism is a real threat....we all really know who's doing it, don't we? This is just NASA being a goodboy for the government and instilling yet more fear into the public so as to implement more freedom ripping policies. I am so sick of this flase flag crap.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by john124
reply to post by Jay-morris

. I know they are not perfect, but look how much china has changed in the last 20, and they are opening up to the western world as each year passes.

Still executing protestors in their own country who didn't like being oppressed, ignoring the mental health issues in drug smugglers, and supplying weapons and tanks to islamic fascist regimes. Yeaaahhh China is realllllly changing... from communism to fascism.

I believe China will be the most powerful country in the world in the next ten years.

Most likely.... *looking to leave this rock before then*

Like i said before, they still have faults, but they are changing. The more they open up, like they have been, the mor they will change. I have seen this, as i lived in Beijing for two years. The chinese are great people, and they are begining to open there eyes to the western world. Yes, they still have human right problems, and that annoys me too, and my wife ( who is Chinese ) But the fact is, they are changing. China has come far, in a short time, so there culture is mixed between the old and new, and that is normal. Saying that, i have seen so much BS about china on the news, and i know its BS because i lived there.

Oh, and the man who was put to death. I belive China done the right thing. He had no previous mental health issues, and it is not the first time someone has tried to use this excuse to get away with something. Also, "having a "mental illness" is very easy to fake. People do it in the uk all the bloody time, just so they don't have to work and they can claim money. I know someone who done that, and still is.

China has its faults, but so do many governments. England for example has a terrible "human rights" which means peodofiles have the right to have there id hidden, given a nice house from our own tax money, oh, some have been given houses by schools. Our tax money pays for all of this, when i believe they should be locked away, instead of the governments using our tax money to give them counciling.

So you are looking to move of this "rock" in about 20 years? because thats when China will be the most powerful country in he world, esp if they keep on going the way they are.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by donhuangenaro
funny, I am still wondering why do people take scientific THEORIES as facts?...

As opposed to those that believe every silly thing that they see and read on the internet, things like 'free energy"....

[edit on 4/1/10 by dereks]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join