It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's confirmed 2012 prediction - Deterioration of Earth's Magnetosphere during Sun's Polar shif

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thermo Klein

Originally posted by CHA0S
I doubt the 2012 solar storms will have any sort of significant effect...there are much worse things to worry about between 2012 and 2020...trust me...

Pay no attention to world-class, genius Physicists... trust the guy on the internet with no facts.
That,... alone should be a main topic thread. I love all the Keyboard experts. AS for the OP.. the sun is very unpredictable, so I'd say anything is possible..

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by frugal

If there's no electricity and communications is knocked out, there may not be any internet or tv to connect to...and then where will you get the gas for the generator after a few weeks?

If the solar flare is large enough to fry all electronics then even your solar powered flashlight will be fried!

[edit on 1/3/2010 by AnonymousMoose]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
In my opinion
This event will occur, and it will be the second process of moving into the age of enlightenment. First, there will be specific events that will happen to us first-hand. Then hell will break loose on Earth(from the Sun). The final step is when Earths magnetic poles will switch from south to north, stopping the terror that began soon before it.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Looks like bad news. I hope this part of 2012 predictions won't come true in 2012.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thermo Klein

Originally posted by CHA0S
I doubt the 2012 solar storms will have any sort of significant effect...there are much worse things to worry about between 2012 and 2020...trust me...

Pay no attention to world-class, genius Physicists... trust the guy on the internet with no facts.

this is from a ufo site interpreting NASA as truth and that what they say is disastrous. As opposed to reality where what they described happened already in the 1800s, with no ill effects other than down power lines. If you think all society will collapse from solar flares, maybe they deserve it for being so dumb. I'll just by some electro protective covering for my house and chill out for the time being. Know why? I don't kill people and go nuts when the tv breaks. I'm civilized.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
In one way we have been lucky to have this Prof. right here at ATS we should see if Springer or SO can set something up with him so we can ask him direct questions like, what can we do to help, etc.

I believe if we think our governments are doing things behind our backs so as not to panic the peoples they need to come out of the closet with it and start being honest.

Obama will still be in office we need to to be relentless on our wanting to know. I notice how the news is right on top of what is talked about on the net so we need to use them like they use us.

It is kinda like a catch 22 with people they want to know but they don't want to know.............. especially if it isn't something good.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by observe50

Yeah, preferably someone whom isn't on a government paycheck or donation. at least that way we might get a strait answer.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by l77way
reply to post by grantbeed

another right angled hockey stick chart that looks unrealistic,by the looks of that chart they predict a giant solar burst in 2010,looks like something al gore would produce in his seminas

No, you are wrong, this "hill" as we approach 2013 is not even as big as we have experienced before. there is nothing out of the ordinary about this chart at all.

How can the chart be unrealistic if it is drawn from actual sunspot numbers?

Thats like saying an average rainfall chart from your hometown is BS, even though it's based on fact.

going back further in time -

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Your insight is really fantastic and very good!
I am amazed as no one has not seen that before.

I am sure the Mayans (probably through shamanistic practices) have come to the secrets of the cycles of the universe. However, it could be that 2012 is just some spiritual event, some change in our philosophy, that we dont fully understand.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

I think the problem today is we have become completely reliant on everything satellite related. Phones, GPS (planes), media, military. All these things are at a great risk in the event of a X class or larger.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
You make it sound like the world is going to end. Yes, if a big solar storm will occur then we will face a lot of problem with our technology.

Remember, in 1859 the biggest solar storm recorded occurred.

From August 28, 1859 until September 2, 1859 numerous sunspots and solar flares were observed on the sun. Just before noon on September 1, the British astronomer Richard Carrington observed the largest flare,[3] which caused a massive coronal mass ejection (CME), to travel directly toward Earth, a journey of 18 hours. This is remarkable because such a journey normally takes three to four days. It moved so quickly because an earlier CME had cleared its way.[4]

Ice cores show evidence that events of similar intensity recur at an average rate of approximately once per 500 years. Since 1859, less severe storms have occurred in 1921 and 1960, when widespread radio disruption was reported.[3]

Source

[edit on 3-1-2010 by DwaynetheSpecious]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I whode like to see that on the NASA Home page before beliving. Ore some ofcial sorce Becuse i`am in that belife that they whode deny us the pepol that information

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

but imagine the effects of them all failing? Humans will only build bigger better things. Sometimes, a harmless disaster is required to bring about grandeur change. For too long we've sat on this rock thinking everything calm. Seeing the savage seas of space so close to home will make us invest in space big time. No one will die of this event... I hope and pray. But the end point will be rebuilding with better stuff. I doubt all society will break down though. I was in new york during that massive east coast black out (2003?). No one went nuts. We sat, we sang, we ate, we had fun in the darkness. My house had a generator. We watched TV (what few stations had power) and simply enjoyed the cave man experience. I simply cannot see a nation wide black out as doing much bad.

Also, these are cracks near the most weakest spots. The equator gets the most rays. If we're talking about angles, the US should not be affected that much.

All and all, I wouldn't worry.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Wow starred and flagged. EXCELLENT POST!

I really enjoy when someone comes across new interviews with Michio Kaku.

Look out 2012!

I think the magnetic shifts are already occurring as many people can "feel" something's up.

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Hello Anonmousmoose!
Okay, a good point you made. To keep electronic safe durring
the daytime buy a large metal aluminim trash can and line the lid with aluminum foil this is for your TV, laptops, and electrical goodies. Keep aluminum foil in your car or purse to wrap up your cell phone. This is supposed to work for those EMP attacks too, some nuclear physist lady was telling people how to protect their electronics. She used to work for the government, she is now retired and sells survival equipment.
My son's lunch box, aluminum, lined with aluminum foil makes a nice faraday box for the solar radio/flashlight/cellcharger gagdet which also has a hand crank on it. Small batteries, kids iphones, ipods, gameboys, psps, etc., small games , memory cards for cameras, can be stored in there. There is a good book "Just in Case" that tells people how to prepare for just about any disaster. If gas is your thing and you have land, put in an underground storage tank like the farmers do. Last tip start looking for places to go during sun flares: drainage pipes, parking garage buildings,
tunnels, subways, caves, under highway bridges, places to wait it out during the day time. Basments have to be reinforced over head with sand bags and dirt. This is all very extreme but something to think about if the extreme happens. I think someone said on the internet once you need to be under five feet of dirt or concret dirt and asphalt. We would
be hiding out during the day from radiation, business at night? I don't know
I don't have the answers, just a few of my own thoughts. I know my husband thought I was strange to buy the garbage can, but you know what? If I don't do something and something does happen we are going to lose out. Besides you can always store rice in it for some other disaster, or dog food, or horse feed grain. It goes back to that ant and grasshopper story folks. Which are you?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by donhuangenaro

just like the Flat Earth was based on the THEORY, and people who opposed it died...

No one died opposing the world is flat theories, as they knew the world was round way back to the ancient Greeks.
Though people who went against the idea of Earth as the center of the solar system went against the Church and faced house arrest.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by RuneSpider]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I think people should be more careful. The title of the thread is misleading. NASA DID NOT CONFIRM THAT.

The OP says NASA HAS CONFIRMED 2012 PREDICTION!

Well, THAT IS NOT TRUE! The OP should have linked US to the NASA website, directly to the article supposedly saying exactly that. Well, I followed the OP´s source and it goes to another website which, as it seems by the reaction of some of the posters, it is not known to be a reliable source of information.

In that website(the OP´s source) they claim the same thing the OP did, but when you follow the link to the NASA site, the article reaches no such conclusions.

Here is the title of the OP´s source:

"NASA's confirmed 2012 prediction - Deterioration of Earth's Magnetosphere during Sun's Polar shift in 2012"

Now here is the title of NASA´s article:

"Earth's Inconstant Magnetic Field - Our planet's magnetic field is in a constant state of change, say researchers who are beginning to understand how it behaves and why."

It´s nothing but an article explaining the behaviour of our magnetic field. We HAVE a magnetic field and it's constantly changing. The article is not saying that we have just found out our magnetic field changes. It says we are understanding better WHY it changes and HOW it changes. THAT´S IT!

Now that doesnt mean I dont believe in the possibility of us suffering some damages in our infrastructure at the next solar polar shift. i do. It´s like suffering an EMP attack from the SUN and you can find many official reports of the infrastructural damage that can be caused by such attacks. BUT NASA IS NOT CONFIRMING ANY 2012 PREDICTION. At least not in the article in question.

And Michio Kaku said AROUND 2012. That can be understood as both earlier or later. And as some other poster said, the next solar polar shift have be recalculated to may 2013. So that´s the date we should be aware of, in the case of the next polar shift of the sun.

So, people need to be more careful when putting up stuff like this, because a genuine topic could end up not being taken seriously because of people´s anxiety to post GREAT NEWS.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by henriquefd
I think people should be more careful. The title of the thread is misleading. NASA DID NOT CONFIRM THAT.

The OP says NASA HAS CONFIRMED 2012 PREDICTION!

Well, THAT IS NOT TRUE! The OP should have linked US to the NASA website, directly to the article supposedly saying exactly that. Well, I followed the OP´s source and it goes to another website which, as it seems by the reaction of some of the posters, it is not known to be a reliable source of information.

In that website(the OP´s source) they claim the same thing the OP did, but when you follow the link to the NASA site, the article reaches no such conclusions.

Here is the title of the OP´s source:

"NASA's confirmed 2012 prediction - Deterioration of Earth's Magnetosphere during Sun's Polar shift in 2012"

Now here is the title of NASA´s article:

"Earth's Inconstant Magnetic Field - Our planet's magnetic field is in a constant state of change, say researchers who are beginning to understand how it behaves and why."

It´s nothing but an article explaining the behaviour of our magnetic field. We HAVE a magnetic field and it's constantly changing. The article is not saying that we have just found out our magnetic field changes. It says we are understanding better WHY it changes and HOW it changes. THAT´S IT!

Now that doesnt mean I dont believe in the possibility of us suffering some damages in our infrastructure at the next solar polar shift. i do. It´s like suffering an EMP attack from the SUN and you can find many official reports of the infrastructural damage that can be caused by such attacks. BUT NASA IS NOT CONFIRMING ANY 2012 PREDICTION. At least not in the article in question.

And Michio Kaku said AROUND 2012. That can be understood as both earlier or later. And as some other poster said, the next solar polar shift have be recalculated to may 2013. So that´s the date we should be aware of, in the case of the next polar shift of the sun.

So, people need to be more careful when putting up stuff like this, because a genuine topic could end up not being taken seriously because of people´s anxiety to post GREAT NEWS.

Thank you! Just my point to We will be denyd that ind of information until it happens probeboly until there is no reson to deny enymore

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

February 15, 2001 -- You can't tell by looking, but scientists say the Sun has just undergone an important change. Our star's magnetic field has flipped.

OMG the world is going to end in 2001! THE proof is right there in the 2 and the 1 which when put in correct numerological order makes what? A TWELVE! 2001= 21 = 12! We r teh dumed.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DwaynetheSpecious

In 1859 the majority of people knew how to grow their own food, raise their own cattle and could survive without McDonald's hamburgers, hot water, indoor plumbing, refrigerators, air conditioning, gas, central heating, gps, security systems, computers, cell phones and the thousands of other things we are now dependent on.

We have become (In America) a society of rich, fat, lazy dependant on technology idiots.

If our electrical stuff is fried you will see massive confusion.

In the "poorer countries that still depend on mostly human ingenuity to get by on a day to day basis it will probably be "business as usual".

We hang on a thin thread between civilized and savage, most American People just don't realize how thin that thread is.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by ofhumandescent]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join