It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the ATS "weather experts" Can you answer this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
First off, I gotta say hello to everybody!

What it is i live in the U.K, Scotland to be precise and the weather here right now is very "unusual" to be honest.

Snow is not that unusual here in Dec/Jan, But the fact that we have had snow on the ground constantly since before xmas has not happened in all the years i have walked these streets, around 30 years that is.

The snow has lay for around 10-14 days at least !! And the longest i ever remember it laying before we get a rainstorm which washes it all away is maybe 2 days or 3 at a push but not a fortnight?

For me this sudden change in the weather seems to have "new weather systems" written all over it, And i mean not just a 1year occurrence, And if that is the case then what could this change in weather escalate too?

300-400 years ago i think Europe experienced a "Mini ice age"

Well thats what i have heard at least?

And over the years i have heard some story about the "gulf stream" keeping the U.K and Europe at a temperature that stops us freezing our butts off like Greenland and the upper parts of Canada.

I will be very interested to see what the ATS "weather people" have to say about this, Surely im not the only resident of the U.K to have questioned this and asked themselves the last time snow lay undisturbed for longer than maybe 4 days?

This weather is just StRaNgE???

What do yous say??

Also the gas and electricity suppliers must be raking it in right now as i know my wallet is a bit lighter this December/January

Peace

[edit on 2-1-2010 by watsgoingon?]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Well 30 years ago snow was a pretty regular visitor down here in the south, so I'm surprised you didn't see more of it up there.

As for the current situation, I guess you won't believe that our MMGW friends had said that this colder weather is as a result of global warming (you see - this cold weather is *local*, but globally temperatures are rising).

Seems the Met Office have a bit of a problem - they earlier said that Jan was looking like it was going to be a record cold month.

In the land of reality however, the Sun is at a minimum, and we are experiencing normal, lower temperatures.

Enjoy it!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Ozweatherman could probably answer this for you.

Perhaps a U2U would be in order? Might have a better chance of getting a decent answer.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
i dont think your wrong to ask this question, actually a mini ice age can occur dependant upon, sun, wind, earthquakes, volcanoes etc, this world has its own bets we just sit around and wait, i wouldnt worry to be honest. ice age didnt kill the dinos it was 2 asteroids as scientist have now discovered

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Oz Weatherman is best here i know of too...

But i'll say this i'm pretty firm that that global warming would shut the gulf stream and create a mini Ice Age...

There have been rumors of short shut downs no idea if they are true or not...

But imho the Earth has mechanisms for balance....warm actually will end up = cooling

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

got that to a tee, wat cant escape cant be gone also!!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by watsgoingon?

Yes, the gas bill is going to be enormous as it is so cold. Saw one day last week Scotland was colder than Greenland! I think it might be the Gulf Stream breaking down as well as it does make places like Oban and Stranraer hotter as palm trees grow there because of it. If it is being reduced then the palm trees will wither. Wait to see if peeps living there let us know if their palm trees are dying? Happy New Year to all as well....

top topics

join