It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US official: Extremists seek new ways to attack US

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

How many groups do we talk to?

How do we appease them all?

and wouldn't negotiating just lead to the creation of more terrorist groups because they know we will negotiate with them?

Not saying it is a bad idea, just adding questions to what if we did this.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Well one thing is for certain is that we are creating more terrorists by the day though our violent campaigns in places like Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Iran, Columbia etc., etc.,.

Lets take Hamas and Hezbollah as examples. Both of them function as both armed groups and civil charitible groups. We consider both to be terrorists orginizations primarily because Israel wants us to consider them as such.

So right away we have a foreign policy problem, Israel is a seperate country not our country.

We shouldn't be taking sides, our fore fathers did not want us too.

Extremism is only possible where there is poverty, people with a two car garage, and a BMW and a good job don't go out and blow themselves up.

Yes some terrorist leaders are rich they get rich off of exploiting the poor though.

There business is getting rich off of terror.

Groups like Hamas and Hezbollah are in their members eyes both civil and military fighting injustice.

We need to talk to them about what they consider to be unjust.

If they have civil arms, then we help them with those civil projects, schools, sewers, public facilities, aide, the things that will help to eliminate poverty and despair.

If they are competent administrators meaning that the majority of the funds go towards these things its money well spent.

Now we are making friends instead of enemies.

This is what we were doing in the Middle East prior to Israeli independence and it was working.

Most of the third world needs our help to build up it's infrastructure finance those improvements kick start their industries and give their people a better quality of life.

We aren't doing that in the Middle East because Israel is afraid that if the Arab world gets to strong and to propserous that they will wipe it out. Israel is really fighting a war of Muslim attrition to ensure its own survival based on their own fears.

That's the foreign policy error that is causing most of this stuff.

We can elevate the Arabs and still protect the Israelis and in fact that's how we got Egypt and Jordan to sign peace agreements.

If a group that is a legitimate armed group with a legitimate civil wing exists that is opposed to us, we need to help it's civil wing in exchange for peace with it's armed wing.

It will be cheaper for taxpayers, and healthier for the world, the military industrial complex just won't make any money off of it.

We are 11 trillion in debt, most of it paying for these wars, ask yourself what could 11 trillion have bought in good will instead of bullets?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   

We are 11 trillion in debt, most of it paying for these wars, ask yourself what could 11 trillion have bought in good will instead of bullets?

Probably a lot of hearts and minds.

So we negotiate with terrorist. Now how do we deal with countries that blame us for everything and never give us credit for the good deeds we do?

Many leaders have allowed/encourage hatred for the west so they can take the focus off their own government.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Education and prosperity is the key to everything. So is having the wisdom to understand that there are two kinds of leaders who do that.

Those who have no choice because there are no real economic opportunities and industry within their borders, and those who do that because they are corrupt and raping and pillaging their own people.

Then it's just a case of simply cutting off Visas to those countries who don't have genuinely friendly relations with us.

No one in Nigeria has an Aircraft Carrier or a Submarine or a way to get here if we don't allow them the right to travel here.

Not even China or Russia have an invasion fleet that could touch the United States.

The truth is we are half the time breeding the conditions for terrorism to exist, and the other half of the time allowing the situations where it can exist.

Today's computer technology really is capable of tracking everyone and identifying everyone.

Once again it's really all about bad policies that are in fact designed in part to capitilize and profit off of discontent and violence instead of truly eliminating it.

Do keep in mind that George Washington, Ben Franklin and John Adams were considered terrorists too, it didn't stop them from being able to negotiate a peace with the nations who owned portions of the colonial American landscape.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I think its kind of the US government and the UK for that matter to at least let us know what they are about to do in the near future, I mean how do they possibly know what extremist groups are looking at doing? could it be because they either are the groups, or they control them? makes perfect sense to me. like i said nice of them to let us know what to look out for. We have already had a major warning in the UK, that a 9/11 style attack could take place in London this year, so i for one will just steer clear until they are done there.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I find that article humorous.

Leiter said in a statement Saturday that officials "know with absolute certainty" that al-Qaida and others are trying to refine their methods.

OH NOZ, REALLY? That's like saying that hackers are refining their methods. It is a no-brainer.

And, it really does parallel hacking...security holes can and will be found if someone is willing enough to take the time to find them. You could never put a complete stop to something like terrorism...

A war on terrorism makes no sense. Like Proto said, methods other then war could make a greater impact in lowering the type of social attutides that generate terrorism. The wars are only going to intensify the situation.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo5842
I think its kind of the US government and the UK for that matter to at least let us know what they are about to do in the near future, I mean how do they possibly know what extremist groups are looking at doing? could it be because they either are the groups, or they control them? makes perfect sense to me. like i said nice of them to let us know what to look out for. We have already had a major warning in the UK, that a 9/11 style attack could take place in London this year, so i for one will just steer clear until they are done there.

The war on terror does seem to be largely orchestrated by the U.S. and U.K. Governments as pretext for expanding their powers, invading and doing away with liberties and privelages of the citizens and enriching the military industrial and security industrial complexes and the banks that finance all this madness.

It's all circumspect in my humble opinion.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
well, the washington times reports that the ap lie.

www.washingtontimes.com...

based on that, how is this a credible article?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by vermonster
well, the washington times reports that the ap lie.

www.washingtontimes.com...

based on that, how is this a credible article?

Well the reality is that the Associated Press is owned by Baron David De Rothschild and the Associated Press owns Rueters.

There is no getting around that a few media titans, some of which have other entrenched corporate interests as well control the flow of most of the information that the public is given.

What can we believe? Probably the opposite of what they tell us!

Thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

---I agree with traveler--x-rays and crazy things just to travel---I remember the dope smugglers swallowing condoms full of dope just to get by the narcs---One day we will have terrorists placeing bombs-[INSIDE] their bodies by doctors to get on board..You cant stop a terrorist form his mission no matter how they try to stop them.THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY around anything. WE should be searching for answers--like stopping this false war on oil control. SO i believe its fruitless to come up with machines that cause cancer just to x-ray a person for bombs----

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by itsawild1

And I with you friend, as it would seem to many we are doing far more things to harm ourselves in every conceivable way than the terrorists could and much more often and much more effectively.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Any one heard of the Salem witch trials? Anyone remember McCarthyism? History has a funny way of repetition.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by js331975
Any one heard of the Salem witch trials? Anyone remember McCarthyism? History has a funny way of repetition.

Both are classic cases of mass hysteria that ruined and ended lives and careers to fight invisible enemies that were entirely based on fear and not reality.

The War on Terror is really no different.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
You know what's funny? When we're actually attacked by a Muslim extremist, no one on here will believe it or take it seriously. Instead, they'll point at the president and the government.

The government is willing to do anything to expand the war on terror, there is no question about that. But you have to understand there are individuals and groups out there who are willing to come to our country and murder our citizens. I just feel bad not many people on here understand that...nor do they understand history.

The war on terror is a scam, of course. It's a reason to keep troops in Afghanistan. But to deny the fact that there are no Islamic groups who are planning attacks is quite ignorant and really actually pretty idiotic.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by GorehoundLarry]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

I feel bad that so few people are willing to honestly ask them selves why Religious Fanatics are prone to acts of terrorism and to address those root causes.

What are we doing to turn enemies into friends and how?

Not a darn thing, in fact we are creating more enemies through our approaches than we are eliminating them.

The reality is the religious xenophobes are quick to say its because we aren't Muslims and leave it at that.

Nothing could be further than the truth. Its because we conduct short sighted foreign policy that is often applied in hypocritical and uneven ways that tends to favor some and persecute others.

Terrorism is happening for a real reason when it does happen, and the reality is few if any want to deal with those root causes.

That's just plain foolish, as foolish as living one's life in constant fear.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The day human life is more valuable than money and power, the day the “American Dream is executed world wide, that is the day terrorism will end and not a moment before! If every citizen in the world held the same worth, had the same opportunity to see their dreams come true there would neither be time or inclination to perform acts of terror. That day is many, many, many moons distant from our present reality!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
What happened to the ALERT levels, yellow, orange, Amber... How come the DHS hasn't move the alert status or advertised a change in it if things are so dangerous?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I personally don't get it. All of our "heroes" are over there killing as many people as they can, why won't they love us? We even went to all the trouble of faking an attack (2 even!) and yet they still want nothing to do with us! Sure we blamed them so we could start this never ending war on jealousy, er terrorism, but they still have the gall to keep fighting back. They really should take a lesson from the west and just bend over and take it like we do at every single opportunity.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
An interesting fix would be to force aristocrats/rich people to fly public airlines, rather than their private jets.

Why? Because those are the only people with any real pull in our government, and currently they couldn't give a rats ass if the surfs have to be x-rayed and cavity searched before boarding an airplane.

We are not equal to them, at all. Maybe some of you like that? I sure don't.

Search them, too.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
because someone in Amsterdam let the world’s most incompetent religious radical on a plane for the U.S. without a Passport or Visa or checking his name against the No Fly List.

Was going to skip this.. then thought.. why are you here? Why are you on ATS and spreading fear and hate? And disinfo? Why are you posting without facts? Its ppl like you that make ATS a shadow of what its to be.

The person was not on the no fly list. So checking it would have been redundant. And if he was, his name would have been flagged while booking his flight.

I didnt bother reading anythning more you had to add because its fictional and I have no reason to hear what you have to say unless I need a fictional read.

ty

[edit on 3-1-2010 by Willbert]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join