It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Change in Technology

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
My expertise is in the electronic troubleshooting of industrial robotic machinery such as C.N.C. and other associated controls. I have been in the field for 28 years now. In the last ten years I have seen a tremendous achivements in machine control technology. I am" old school " who is used to putting a curcuit board on an extender and go from chip to chip to find the problem , right to the chip. Didn't take long for the electronic companies to develop nano electronic componenets. By that I mean , I can't distinguish hardly any components on the circuit board. Along with that comes fiber optic comunications. between two CPUs or different controls. Point is :I don't believe this technology was created through a natural process of perfecting a project. There is to much that changed , in a short period of time, not only fiber optics, but let's look at the recent cell phones that have recently come out. It seems that new technology is constantly developing. If we go back 60 years in time from today , we would still be in the transistorised/ tube era. Go figure

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
There is no doubt in my mind we have had help from some kind of advanced intel.Not so long ago people were listning to warped old gramaphone records...

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
What is it, that you're implying ?

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
What is it, that you're implying ?
Reverse engineering at work here is my belief.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by L.HAMILTON

I'm thinking exponential growth. ..I also think nano-tech is actually bio-nano-tech - which would explain why you can't distinguish individual components (they're now organic wholes, not mechanically inter-connected parts).

Make sense?

-sofi

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Aye. And all this pretty much starts in around WWII.
I have the sneaky suspiscion that the Nazi's are the catalyst behind what we see today.
And that the USA has taken and run with a great many technologies that didn't exist in the past.

I personally have grown up seeing a wave of technology that's pretty damn amazing. And I can't imagine what's comming next. But it will be pretty spectacular.

link   
reply to post by soficrow

Sorry but no.

link   
you got it all wrong, we are all fat and lazy, so we go out of our way to make things better "easier", laziness powered our fast growth.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Maybe microprocessor designers are driven by the NEED to create faster chips on smaller circuitboards as per Moore's Law.

en.wikipedia.org...

It would make sense that technology proceeds in more of a parabolic fashion rather than linear.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

I hear you brother. I worked 25 years in Electronics. I worked on consumer appliances such as TVs, Camcorders, Cds, etc. I used to trouble shoot down to component level then they started surface mount ICs and components and now it's just unreal. I think some of this stuff did not come for us :-). And it would now make scene, because we are now at a level were we could reverse engineer maybe 1st or 2nd class UFO Technology.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OZtracized

Agreed with all that . Where did this nano-technology originate from ? It appeared from nowhere.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Yep, same here. I've noticed the jump in tech over the years. Being in the high tech industry on the manufacturing floor for 16 years and a Manufacturing Eng Tech for a solid 5 years, I've noticed the same thing.

Only the Corps with HUGE amounts of $$$,$$$,$$$,$$$,$$$.$$ have the means to make the necessary 'jumps' in tech. Being around nothing but Engineers for 5 years, they say they'll have to go back to school every 5 years just to keep up on the 'latest' that came out.. and even that is old news! I was floored!

By 'jump' I mean, leaps in technology in which processes get more streamlined, manufacturing tools become smaller but, extremely efficient, less and less dependent on human resources to interact with tools, S/W & H/W themselves.

We already have multiple threads on ATS about nanotechnology but, I do believe we fast approaching something unique if not horrifying. I believe we are fast approaching a technology, if we've haven't discovered it yet, will take the world civilization out of the dark ages and into a whole other plane of civilization; just exactly like...Electricity did in for the entire world. It literally brought this world out of the dark and into a more.. what's the word, modern world.

I wish there was a graph that would show the leaps we've made since the discovery of Electricity and the IC. I know it would take a HUGE amount of time to research it but, I think it would make most of the people wake up to know something has or is accelerating us as a world civilization.

Here are some fields that have came across my mind as of late.. which have made some huge leaps in a short amount of time.. Bioengineering, Robotics, nanotechnology, Medical, Video/Audio Communications Technology, Computer systems, Manufacturing processes, Air and mobile Transportation, Security systems.....just to name a few.

and actually I found a graphic time-line that shows most of what types of Technology we've discovered already however; the graph is to big to past it in this thread.

here it is: Tech Tree mouse over the pic to zoom in for better view.

Enjoy!! S&F!!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
This sort of discussion tends toward implying an off-world, extra-terrestrial source for the background to these innovations.

I suspect it is more likely that we "humanity in general" have discovered technology from a previous High Civilisation thought to be destroyed ca. 10,000-12,500 years ago.

Wouldn't it be a gas if it turned out that we are the descendants of the dummies they decided to leave behind when they bounced off the rock for a gig elsewhere in the cosmos.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

It does seem to have come from nowhere but we don't really know what goes on in these labs. The general populace is fed so much B.S. and so little real info that who knows?

Just for the record, I lean toward the reverse-engineered hypothesis but we must keep an open mind.

Maybe these design engineers are just really smart....................

OK. Reverse engineering it is.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by OZtracized

Everything is now Nano- Tech, I mean there is a now a working hard disk drive for a p/c that is the size of a quarter.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Agreed with all that . Where did this nano-technology originate from ? It appeared from nowhere.

d00d it took years to develop this technology. decades even.

Hell what do you think they were working on in WW2.

THey had thousands of people researching trying to split the atom to create a nuclear bomb. When computers fist came out back in the... 1850's or 1930' or something wasn't it, they were HUGE. The transistors were MASSIVE. They kept getting smaller and smaller and smaller and now they're tiny 32 nanometers. Billions have been spent, hell just by Intel alone to make them smaller, do new research on new materials, finding new properties of these new materials, on research and devolopment. WHy all this money spent on research and development? To beat thier competitors, make some money. Intel make about $9 bilion a quarter now. THey plow alot of that back in to R&D. to better themselves, try and make mroe money, beat the competition, keep share-holders happy...

Dont forget about universities and thier research for the future, governemnts own research, etc.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Where did this nano-technology originate from ?
It appeared from nowhere.

Timeline of nanotechnology development.

It's been 21 years since IBM spelled their logo in individual atoms. I think "appeared from nowhere" is a bit off the mark.

Along with that comes fiber optic comunications.

Fiber optics are over 150 years old and their use as a communications medium was proposed in 1963.

This idea that technology is advancing "too quickly" seems popular, but personally I think there's no excuse for how slow things have progressed. Personally, I expected to have flying cars and daily traffic to our moon colonies decades ago.

Many of the things people seem to think is "super advanced alien technology" is actually really very old stuff from the late 1800's / early 1900's. Fiber optics is a great example. The delay hasn't been in the technology, it's been in the innovation to do something with it.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by LordBucket]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   

The only thing that has really changed in electronics since the transistor is size and packaging to create smaller designs that can be assembled by machine easier and faster.

Some passive components may now be produced using techniques first used in ICs but there has been no major developments.

I can still buy ICs that were first available in huge DIP packages in tiny surface mount packages but the actual silicon may be the same physical size. What has improved here is the machines that wire the silicon to the pins.

ICs are produced photographically so it is pretty easy to make a design smaller.

Fibre-optic cable holds no "wow" factor for me at all - even a water jet will carry light in a similar fashion.

Apart from the jump from valves to transistor all I see is a gradual improvment in component density and speed. Using programmable devices such as microcontrollers also shrinks the size of designs.

[edit on 3/1/2010 by LightFantastic]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
technology may be developing but the quality used for goods is absolute #e.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

We already have flying cars, they are essentially miniature tilt rotor craft that use ducted fans. The problem is that with widespread use any accident would turn into a disaster and require lots of air traffic control. As far as moon colonies go we are well within our capabilities to make it real. It would bring up a plethora of political issues and would require lots of money in order to make it practical.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join