It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A lost decade for U.S. economy, workers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

A lost decade for U.S. economy, workers

www.msnbc.msn.com

For most of the past 70 years, the U.S. economy has grown at a steady clip, generating perpetually higher incomes and wealth for American households. But since 2000, the story is starkly different.

The past decade was the worst for the U.S. economy in modern times, a sharp reversal from a long period of prosperity that is leading economists and policymakers to fundamentally rethink the underpinnings of the nation's growth.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Hey, but not to worry!

The Military Industrial Complex, the Oil industry, the Wall street / Banker thugs and thieves, have all made off like bandits, so not all is lost!

We'll just keep investing what little is left in idiotic foreign policy, and more bailouts to the endlessly greedy parasites pulling all of our gov's strings, and hope for the best!

I just wonder how much more of this idiocy and insatiable greed this country can withstand before it collapses entirely...

Sigh.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

We'll just keep investing what little is left in idiotic foreign policy, and more bailouts to the endlessly greedy parasites pulling all of our gov's strings, and hope for the best!

I just wonder how much more of this idiocy and insatiable greed this country can withstand before it collapses entirely...

Sigh.

Damn.
That is so depressing.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
This decade has already been called the decade from hell and I couldn't agree more. With 9/11 kicking of a series of disasters this decade, I can't say that I am sad this decade is coming to an end. There have been very few people in the US who have emerged from the economic downturn, including my family. Fortunately I completed my schooling just in time to get out and make some money.

Let's just hope the rest of the 21st century isn't as harsh as the first decade.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

This graphic says it all.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
On new year;s eve I dubbed the last the decade the "lost decade" as well. It seems everyone I know has stopped progressing in every way imaginable if they haven;t indeed gone backwards in some form or fashion.
Fortunately for me this new decade has started our spectacularly well, both my wife and I have found new jobs and/or careers. After nearly a year of unemployment suddenly everything is looking up for us

My resolutions are to work on my health issues and so far I'm feeling pretty good. I wish I could spread this feeling around, I know lots of people are getting desperate and down.
Just do what you can and be patient, no-one can expect any more of you than that.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Zero percent...that is simply stunning.

The one note that resonates with the US foriegn policy since WW two is a cheap energy supply.

We can see this red thread of reason behind many of the moves that the USA has become involved with.

The other reason we seem to go to war is ideology.

Afghanistan and Iraq control is a flanking manuever to help manuaver Iran with whom we have been at odds with since just after the second world war as it was an extension of the cold war.

Our aim is to provide safe cheap enrgy to the world. Just a guess on a early Sunday morning with my first coffee.

I think a `safe, cheap, energy supply¨ for the world leads to a more stable world.

A volitile expensive world oil supply can lead to chaos.

Though I think that maybe some models show a peak earth situation unfolding before them and maybe they have acted according to thier interpretation of the population éarth resource data and so we may be creeping toward a world wide winding down from a cheap energy based system toward some other system.

I am positive that others in power must skirt with these issues and I believe that everybody sees the potential for war and maybe BushéObama did something to avert a chaotic energy situation.

Pure speculation on my part.

The wars must employee a good percentage of our populace. Just think on the costs and people invlolved from point to point.

ie. base in North America to a forward operating base cost and logistics.

Look at all the trucking jobs in North America tied directly into the military just to feed and supply the varoius bases.

Think of all the resteraunts and motels used by the truckers and the mechanics who maintain the fleet and we simply see just a sliver of the economy these wars have created.

The return on these wars has been about zero percent to date but it may be a far sight better then a negative number.

I wonder once everyhing is tallied up including the loss of life if it was a good move.

The flip side of the coin would have been a complete economic meltdown of our society.

We came close in 2008.

We are still on the balance.

I need more coffee.lol

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I think the reason, thiers not as many jobs being created, is becaue too many other buisnesses have been allowed to create a monopoly..aka cvs, walmart, walgreens seems tobe trying it, kiing off any chance you or others may have had to open up your own small pharmacutical and variety store. Plus, with most of the new ones being temporary government jobs, and being sent overseas... scary future ahead of us.

top topics

join