It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon hole might be suitable for colony

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Moon hole might be suitable for colony

www.cnn.com

Building a home near a moon crater or a lunar sea may sound nice, but moon colonists might have a much better chance of survival if they just lived in a hole.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
More from source;

Lava tubes have previously been discovered on the moon, but the scientists say the new hole is notable because of its lava shield and because it does not appear to be prone to collapse.

Fascinating stuff. We have some foundations in terms of colonizing the moon and its mainstream news now. I'm not too sure exactly how lava tubes work and if they would be safe to reside in, but this theory seems to have some support.

NASA is reportedly working on plans to return to the moon by 2020 and to set up a temporary lunar colony by 2025 as part of the Constellation Program.

There you have it, the hole; that's our first home away from Earth.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Nice.
If you pick any 70 year-old issue of "Amazing Stories" , you will find a lot of things considered laughable at that time becoming slowly true.
I may visit my grankids with an anti-gravity vehicle after a real honeymoon, on the Moon.

Nice reading though. The internet is full of speculative theoris about living on the moon.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

really interesting, but we should really try to learn more about the real final frontier, the sea, before we hed to space.

but still, an interesting prospect.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
I'm not too sure exactly how lava tubes work and if they would be safe to reside in...

Lava tubes are natural conduits through which lava travels beneath the surface of a lava flow, expelled by a volcano during an eruption. They can be actively draining lava from a source, or can be extinct, meaning the lava flow has ceased and the rock has cooled and left a long, cave-like channel.

Wiki-clicky

Cool!

Beats wielding a pickaxe in a spacesuit or strapping one of those tunnel boring machines to a shuttle.

I wonder if the moon has Trolls too?

[edit on 2/1/2010 by nerbot]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
A little further info on Lava Tubes this is a great confirmed find.

What is also important about it is that it is one possible way for human colonies to spread further out as we become a Type II civilzation. We start on the Moon but if LavaTubes exist throught out the Solar System as they seem likely to do: we might expect to find lava tubes on Mars, Mercury (the temperature swing refuge would make them hot property), Venus (they would be too hot, and share Venus' over-pressurization), Io (protection from Jupiter's radiation belts), and even on little Vesta. If we get the hang of it on the moon, there is no real reason the lifestyle and technology can't be used to spread us out at least to Jupiter.

In the Link you can see there is the potential for vast, vast areas to be colonized on the moon using this method -- times that many times as we spread Sol-system wide

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Moonhole hahahahahaha

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Yep, and it most likely has a no vacancy sign at the entrance.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
So what you're saying is we're back to living in caves?

Great.. So I guess we've come full circle.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
So what you're saying is we're back to living in caves?

Great.. So I guess we've come full circle.

I've just done some more reading on the lava tubes wiki link above and it's actually a great, natural way of providing a 'safe' place to setup a colony. I'm not too sure on how stable they are though, I always imagined the first colonies to be living inside vacuum glass domes... damn you Hollywood!

new topics

top topics

join