It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A solution to political corruption

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I was thinking about this earlier and was hoping for some others to weigh in.

Part of the problems with laws and politics is accountability. A politician does not think long term-they think to the next election. A monarchy on the other hand has the benefit of having dynastic laws instead of short term laws.

The idea is this:

a: Remove term limits: If a politician thinks "This is my last term" they are more likely to make shady deals for cash or power in the private sector.

b: Increase wages of the elected officials and make it completely illegal to accept donations or "gifts". All election funds come from tax coffers and are capped. Or: Tie their wages to the level the nation prospers under their rule: This will make bribes less tempting and or outright impossible. Reduce smear campaigns and force a greater focus on a meritocracy instead of PR campaign.

c: Extend terms to 10-15 years a term while making it easier to repeal: If they have greater time to think through laws and address how they will impact. One could wind up with better laws. It would also shorten the final hour laws passed to appear "Tough on crime" or similar situations. It would also give greater personal accountability to the laws they pass or assist as it is too common the real ripple effects take longer than a 4 year term to feel.

I'll probably think of more. But... any comments?

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
There are alot of ways to skin a cat and to take a way term limits is not the the best way. I like to see you at least thinking of a solution rather complaining like the rest of us. But we have a good system it just needs to be enforced and that is all. It does not need to be changed or tweaked just enforced. You do deserve a star for at least putting something forward even if I do not agree with it thank you

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth
There are alot of ways to skin a cat and to take a way term limits is not the the best way. I like to see you at least thinking of a solution rather complaining like the rest of us. But we have a good system it just needs to be enforced and that is all. It does not need to be changed or tweaked just enforced. You do deserve a star for at least putting something forward even if I do not agree with it thank you

Well, currently many things are allowed that are self-serving. The concept is to tie their monetary success with the success of the nation. Perhaps scaled on multiple metrics from social improvements to fiscal etc..

Similar to how in Britain the health care pay system is tied to how much a doctor improves the life of the patient. (things like: How many patients the Dr. got to quite smoking, or weight loss from exercise etc. etc.).

Sort of that, coupled with the idea of "Temptation reduction". With greater accountability in representatives actions. Longer terms with no limits BUT ease of repeal of their office means they would have to stay on the ball and do a better job or get tossed out and replaced. Similarly if there is an exceptional congressman/senator his/her abilities are not tossed out just because of serving 3, 4, 5 whatever terms.

Which things are you meaning that should be enforced?

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by lordtyp0

A politician does not think long term-they think to the next election.

The idea is this:

a: Remove term limits:

b: Increase wages of the elected officials and make it completely illegal to accept donations or "gifts".

Reduce smear campaigns and force a greater focus on a meritocracy instead of PR campaign.

c: Extend terms to 10-15 years a term while making it easier to repeal:

Great let's pay 'em more for doing such a swell job.

Seriously though, the corporations won't let you take away thier puppets. If you try they'll stick thier goons on you. And you can't get near 'em, they've got thier city locked up tighter than a submarine hatch.

Here's the plan.

Subvert from within, strike when and where they least expect it.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust

Originally posted by lordtyp0

A politician does not think long term-they think to the next election.

The idea is this:

a: Remove term limits:

b: Increase wages of the elected officials and make it completely illegal to accept donations or "gifts".

Reduce smear campaigns and force a greater focus on a meritocracy instead of PR campaign.

c: Extend terms to 10-15 years a term while making it easier to repeal:

Great let's pay 'em more for doing such a swell job.

Seriously though, the corporations won't let you take away thier puppets. If you try they'll stick thier goons on you. And you can't get near 'em, they got thier city locked up tighter than a submarine hatch.

Here's the plan. Subvert from within, strike when and where they least expect it.

Well, I also think that corporations should have "Personhood" stripped from them, and if they commit a blatant crime-instead of a fine, their assets should be frozen for periods akin to the length of time people have to be in prison,, but yeah, I freely admit thats a radical take that probably wouldn't work out very well

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I think that WE THE PEOPLE should have more opportunity for regress of greivances. Senators and Congressman can simply ignore us, like during the Tea Parties. I think term limits will help for a couple of reasons, one being that there is more incentive to actually do something, not just worry about getting re-elected. That's all I have to say about that.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
As long as there's a paycheck involved, there's a conflict of interest. Why not have our public servants truly serve? All assets go into escrow, held by the state for the term of service. All ties to political parties and business interests are verboten. You stay in the Congressional barracks, eat at the Congressional chow hall, and go to the free movies on capitol hill. No running the family business on the side, dining out with lobbyists, or campaigning for contributions. Just your words, your deeds, and the job at hand. Congress might actually be in session more than they're not for a change.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Yeah, Problem with term limits is it won't work in the long run.

Reason: Half of these guys don't care about their seat if the bribe is big enough. If you can get a cushy board of directors or lobby job and make millions after selling their votes during their term then why should they care about the seat?

LAWS must be passed at ALL levels that bar a sitting politician from gaining profit and or enriching his/her family and friends while in office and 10 years afterwards. That means no "foundation" or "corporate" positions for you or your spouse.

FULL & Complete "CONFLICT OF INTEREST" LAWS with NO loopholes. No more bribes!

That is the only way to un-corrupt the system.

Public Service = Public Service... that means Sacrifice.

Sell you stock, no real estate deals, no cozy positions after your office, etc.

Anything less is open to corruption and we all know it.

new topics

top topics

join