It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biblical scholar's date for rapture: May 21, 2011

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I guess we have less time than we thought.

Meaning in numbers

By Camping's understanding, the Bible was dictated by God and every word and number carries a spiritual significance. He noticed that particular numbers appeared in the Bible at the same time particular themes are discussed. The number 5, Camping concluded, equals "atonement." Ten is "completeness." Seventeen means "heaven." Camping patiently explained how he reached his conclusion for May 21, 2011. "Christ hung on the cross April 1, 33 A.D.," he began. "Now go to April 1 of 2011 A.D., and that's 1,978 years." Camping then multiplied 1,978 by 365.2422 days - the number of days in each solar year, not to be confused with a calendar year. Next, Camping noted that April 1 to May 21 encompasses 51 days. Add 51 to the sum of previous multiplication total, and it equals 722,500. Camping realized that (5 x 10 x 17) x (5 x 10 x 17) = 722,500. Or put into words: (Atonement x Completeness x Heaven), squared. "Five times 10 times 17 is telling you a story," Camping said. "It's the story from the time Christ made payment for your sins until you're completely saved. "I tell ya, I just about fell off my chair when I realized that," Camping said. Read more: LINK

Gotta love how he discredits the crazies that think it will be 2012. Also interesting, and food for thought, is how this same dude was wrong about a similar prediction in the past, yet his following has grown! I remember seeing some quote about faith not only is not good for answering questions, but also prevents truth from being discovered. I wonder how forgiving this dude's flock will be when he is, once again, proven a fool....

It is going to happen

Camping's believers will have none of it. Rick LaCasse, who attended the September 1994 service in Alameda, said that 15 years later, his faith in Camping has only strengthened. "Evidently, he was wrong," LaCasse allowed, "but this time it is going to happen. There was some doubt last time, but we didn't have any proofs. This time we do." Would his opinion of Camping change if May 21, 2011, ended without incident? "I can't even think like that," LaCasse said. "Everything is too positive right now. There's too little time to think like that."

LINK

Best,
Skunknuts

Mod edit: Fixed links for member.

[edit on 1/2/2010 by AshleyD]

[edit on 1/2/2010 by skunknuts]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by skunknuts

Jesus said, "...of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only." Matthew 24:36

Real Christians don't set dates.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
One way or another, I wish all of these crazies would up and disappear. I'm so sick of people going on and on about old books, there are so many better ones that have been written since!

They say if you can't beat them, join them. I just might decide to make a career of parting idiots from their money yet...it's kind of hard to be a shepherd when the wolves make it look so fun and easy.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by maus80]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Sorry its not going to happen. I'm a Christian, but there is no rapture.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Look at his calculations in the article. He bases his numbers off the Gregorian calender and solar years (approximately 365.25 days a year). This is doomed to failure because the length of a 'prophetic year' mentioned in the Bible is 360 days (based on lunar cycles).

I DO believe the time is short but based on other signs that Jesus promised as well as other calculations. However, as for calculating the rapture at all, nevertheless on these faulty mathematics, it's just not going to be known in advance.

Also:

This is not the first time Camping has made a bold prediction about Judgment Day.

On Sept. 6, 1994, dozens of Camping's believers gathered inside Alameda's Veterans Memorial Building to await the return of Christ, an event Camping had promised for two years. Followers dressed children in their Sunday best and held Bibles open-faced toward heaven.

But the world did not end. Camping allowed that he may have made a mathematical error.

I'm sympathetic because I definitely understand the desire to go home. But this is not the way to go about it. Especially based on something that even a layman of prophecy would know is wrong. He's only going to disappoint those that listen to him and create more scoffers of those who don't.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

He also has the crucifixion date wrong by two days...
...see the following study...

The Date of the Crucifixion
COLIN J. HUMPHREYS* AND W. GRAEME WADDINGTON**

Department of Metallurgy and Science of Materials
University of Oxford Parks Road, Oxford, England

www.asa3.org...

The date must be April 3, 33AD.

[edit on 2/1/10 by troubleshooter]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
God Damn these fruitcakes never stop do they???
I mean honestly, when will these people just friggin stop with the rapture
bull# already? Didn't Jesus say No man shall know the day nor the hour?
I would assume that if you were a follower of his that you might take a little stock in that.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter

Jesus said, "...of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only." Matthew 24:36

That's a good one, I hadn't heard it before....Hmm, real Christians are probably few and far between, for this, and many other abominations of Christ's teachings.

Best,
SN

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
If you have never listened to his radio show, you MUST check it out. He sounds perpetually drunk on the air. Seriously, Camping is excellent entertainment, but full of you know what.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
It is my belief that if God does rapture the Christians it will not be to spare them from the torment of the End Times but to spare himself any further emabarassment from their boundless ignorance, their bottomless hatred, their consummate arrogance and their limitless cruelty. Oh, and let's not forget all that greed. Basically I believe that the Rapture will not be an act of mercy towards the Christians but an act of mercy for the rest of us. Things are going to be bad enough without all of the Christians around to make it unbelievably worse. 2010! Come on, JHVH! Take 'em all in 2010! Give the world a break! Rapture Rapture Rapture! Yeaaaa!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
OP, good story, we will see a MAJOR upswing in the Rapture Crowd before 12/12.

Somebody needs to tell the guy that RAPTURE IS NEVER MENTIONED IN THE BIBLE - NEVER.....Seeing as how he is a Bible Scholar and all.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by Signals]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by skunknuts

Originally posted by troubleshooter

That's a good one, I hadn't heard it before....Hmm, real Christians are probably few and far between, for this, and many other abominations of Christ's teachings.

I had reason to examine the date-setting phenomena at close range.

My Grandfather joined one of the denominations that grew out of the Millerite Movement of the early 1800's...
...and I read my way out of it and have written about it.

Datesetters make an assumption about a specific date...
...and then read their experience back into the biblical manuscripts...
...'cognitive dissonance' is often the result when the event predicted does not happen.

A similar thing happened with Blossom Goodchild and more recently David Wilcock with the Disclosure phenomena...
...dates set and passed and a scramble to justify the delay.

It is my opinion that these people are convinced of dates by 'entities' that are 'hell bent' on destroying and discrediting them...
...and who want to gather the 'true believers' who can't admit that they could have been so wrong.

Camping is setting himself and his followers up for a disapppointment...
...just as William Miller did.

Paul said "...the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night." 1 Thess 5:2

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

Yeah, cognitive dissonance is up there with my favorite psychological phenomena. I think it plays a big role in our day-to-day lives, but it is extreme examples like the setting, and missing, of the date for rapture/disclosure or whatever that really makes it salient.

Best,
SN

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Gotta love how he discredits the crazies that think it will be 2012.

Yeah, because we all know if you call the end of the world a year and a half earlier than someone else, it makes you right, and THEM kooks.

I love it when people make sense.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by willis7737

He is a kook, but he believes he is right because he bases his dates on Bible research, and there is nothing in there about 2012. It has nothing to do with his date coming first, not sure where you are getting that.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
It's already a red flag. Yeah lets make people wait! What fun!
It's obvious that the holy spirit or God or demon entities or aliens or
his own subconscious did not tell the man to make people wait...so why does he do it? It's to make people wait. See if I would be like a smart profi...I mean
prophet I would break the news weeks or days before cause "I KNOW" it will
happen. Why the f would I drag this out and what good that do for anybody?
No day or hour? Ok try week$ and day$. It's not a lot of money but still a good
amount of pocket change.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I thought the rapture was supposed to happen in 1991

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
For a detailed explanation on this 'rapture' that many Christians believe in, check out Wikipedia. India, China and other ancient civilations, all tell of 'gods' fighting with each other, and having vehicles that fly and are equiped with powerful weapons. The book of Genesis in the Old Testament, tells of similar events. Perhaps Jesus, the son of the 'God' who
was the overall winner of this war, will when He returns be leading a fleet of spacecraft, since he will be meeting with his believers and gathering them up in the clouds. Nothing's mentioned about Him meeting anyone on the ground.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Do you guys ever get tired of making up doom dates? Do you ever forget some of them?

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
This is my first post, and I felt compelled to finally sign up after reading this board for a year. And particularly, this thread.

First, I agree that no one will know when the judgement day comes. Or the Rapture for that matter ( I'm a Christian, and not sure of The Rapture belief myself). But I would encourage everyone to stop calling Christians kooks. Like I said, I have been reading this board for a year or so, and I have read several off-the wall, kooky, crazy, ignorant posts. Some of the conspiracy theories, and beliefs that are widely accepted here, are really out there. I wouldn't call anyone a kook until you stop, take a step back and read some of the insane things that written on here.

With that being said, I have enjoyed most of the discussions on here and there are some very well-researched topics. I would just ask you to consider how silly it looks from an "outsider" when you call anyone a kook when you are posting on a board where there are many kooky theories.

I'm not trying to put down this board or it's members. After all, I just signed up myself, and plan on particpating in future discussions. But everyone should stop short of attacking a particular group because you don't agree with that groups beliefs. From what I have gathered, most of you face this same disrespect for your beliefs in many of these topics that you discuss on here everyday.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join