It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO Trickster Explains Mystery Lights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The visual this guy created is interesting...I wish people would stop it though...

Thought you all might be interested in how some of the hoaxes are done so you can spot the real thing.

I have included the site that has the story

trickster news site

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I think deliberate hoaxes using physical props like this aren't so new. They've always been there. I think it is increasing because the methods used are now more freely available. For me the activity of the Circle Makers and others at the start of the 90s, who also employed sky lantern type balloons to ruin UFOlogy sky watches, were among the first to do it under the totally bogus art/social experiment/believers are idiots/because they can justification, using the kind of techniques that seem to be employed by sceptic hoaxers these days. The internet, YouTube specifically, has broadened their potential audience beyond news channels and people in UFOlogy who'll endorse anything for a buck.

I'm a sceptic but I very much disapprove of hoaxes to show up believers, because I think there's the unintended consequence that hardcore believers will reject the idea that it's a hoax, and an outside chance of a Heavens Gate type scenario occurring. People often reject reasonable explanations of things that weren't hoaxes, which reminds me of the situation that developed for Brian in The Life Of Brian. No matter how much he said he wasn't the messiah people wouldn't believe him because it conformed to their existing expectations. I think it's seen all of the time with hoaxes and things that have good explanations.

It's sad, and for any potential hoxers: Don't do it. There's enough misidentification/charlatans/lying as it is.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I completely agree that hoaxters ought to think about the consequences of their actions...firstly, it is unsafe...and it also hinders UFO research...

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Just when it seems disclosure regarding E.T's might take place in the near future, the number of hoaxers is on the rise. It's possible that many of these hoaxers are part of a deliberate campaign to debunk ufology. People are going to get so used to these phony u.f.o. videos, they'll come to believe that even genuine sightings that have been recorded and posted, are also hoaxes. These people who think that what they are doing by posting these hoaxes is nothing but a big ol' harmless joke, should stop and consider the harm they are doing to the countless hours of hard work and research, by some excellent u.f.o. investigators.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Some hoaxes are undoubtedly perpetrated by governments, their employees and their media machines. They'll create an event, watch it turn viral, then BOOM! "It was fake, this is how we did it, and there's no little green men, you wierdo conspiracy theorists!" "It was a promo campaign" blah blah

It's really annoying to see people discredit what should be a legitimate branch of science, especially when the implications are far beyond our comprehension.

Ufology is full of unknows, so why isn't mainstream science all over it? If only the global warming agenda was replaced by ufology study. I'd pay an extra tax to see funding into this branch. I'll not pay for Al Gore and his buddies to get rich on the misery of the third world though.

top topics

join