It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 million Egyptians to be affected by climate change

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

zikkir.com

A study conducted by the Center for Remote Sensing at Boston University, commissioned by the Arab Forum for Environment and Development, warned that Egypt would be one of the Arab countries most affected by climate change. The study analyzed a variety of scenarios of climate change impact, particularly on coastal areas, based on satellite images of the region, and showed that Egypt would be the most affected Arab country due to a rise in sea levels.

The study stated that, “at least 12 million Egyptians will be forces to migrate from their area of residence in parts of Nile Delta and that
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
hisz.rsoe.hu

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Still believe climate change is not real? I found this article that was posted today and the figures are astounding. I am sure there will be those that will choose to debate this and that is fine, I simply thought this would be something that should be brought to light. Also look at the RSOE EDIS site for global melting references. Peace LDB

zikkir.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I read the emails. Global warming is a lie. Climate change is not a global end of life disaster. This article represents to me, a bias of poor journalism that cooperates with the liars of the scientific community.

DENY IGNORANCE!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

The study stated that, “at least 12 million Egyptians will be forces to migrate from their area of residence in parts of Nile Delta and that with a rise in sea level by 5 meters, almost one third of the total affected Arab population would be Egyptian

zikkir.com...

Global sea level rose by about 120 meters during the several millennia that followed the end of the last ice age (approximately 21,000 years ago), and stabilized between 3,000 and 2,000 years ago

Climate models based on the current rate of increase in greenhouse gases, however, indicate that sea level may rise at about 4 millimeters per year reaching 0.22 to 0.44 meters above 1990 levels by the period 2090-2099

nsidc.org...

I think we'll survive.
Also, your link is a hypothetical study. It is not actually happening.
And also, keep in mind how accurate climate models have been in predicting things.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by heyo]

[edit on 2-1-2010 by heyo]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Flakey

I can understand your stance given the recent anti- warming movement, however if you look at what is actually happening to the planet you may gain a different perspective.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Climate change? Oh you mean global warming? Why the sudden name change? Oh yeah it's not man made.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Still believe climate change is not real?

I'm still rather amazed that the idealists seem to do a wonderful job of denying climate change. There's been a disinfo campaign run by the petroleum industry claiming that global warming is a hoax. At the same time, weather manipulation is being employed across the globe via aluminum and barium chemtrails. That's why the temperature has been steady over the last decade. I foresaw mass migrations like this when I was half the age I am today. It's now happening.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

We'l survive,.. meaning the US? if that is what you are referring to then I would firmly agree. However the land loss each year in that region is not a joke.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

People are not denying climate change. That's ridiculous. What we're denying is the accepted relationship between co2 and temperature. You do realize this is a hypothetical study, don't you???
come on people!!!!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
What a coincidence, the director happens to be Egyptian himself.

Dr. Farouk El-Baz is Research Professor and Director of the Center for Remote Sensing at Boston University, Boston, MA, U.S.A. He is Adjunct Professor of Geology at the Faculty of Science, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt.

...and worked for the oil industry, which warming alarmists often point to as suspect.

He joined the Pan American - U.A.R. Oil Company in 1966, where he participated in the discovery of El-Morgan, the first offshore oil field in the Gulf of Suez.

www.bu.edu...

[edit on 2-1-2010 by Deny Arrogance]

[edit on 2-1-2010 by Deny Arrogance]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

Does it matter what it is called or who or what is to blame? Either way the effects are still occurring.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

What I find puzzling is that we're still only talking about CO2. As if that were the only way that our footprint impacts climate change. Doesn't that seem a bit bizarre to anyone else? Surely, numerous things that we're currently doing on this earth are effecting climate change.

You say solar, I say both. We're interacting with the potentials for change stemming from outside influences. To think that we have no influence seems just as absurd as to say we are the sole influence.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

reply to post by Flakey

I can understand your stance given the recent anti- warming movement, however if you look at what is actually happening to the planet you may gain a different perspective.

You're serious? Their is no "recent anti-warming movement. The main researchers got caught lying! I was a fence sitter before I read those emails at wikileak after reading them. I am off the fence and enjoying the green house grass.

The data is falsified. One member already pointed out that your article is based on hypothetical studies that did not even happen. Like so much with climate change it is a bunch of malarkey that was used to sell papers and make PHDs rich. Global warming is a lie!
That has been proven! Sheesh! Was the propaganda so darned effective that some folks can not accept truth when it is pulled from the PCs of those that faked the results?

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   

reply to post by heyo

We'l survive,.. meaning the US? if that is what you are referring to then I would firmly agree. However the land loss each year in that region is not a joke.

The study analyzed a variety of scenarios of climate change impact, particularly on coastal areas, based on satellite images of the region, and showed that Egypt would be the most affected Arab country due to a rise in sea levels.

If you think this is happening then you are misinterpeting the article. It's an article based on climate models that are predicting what change WOULD happen, not IS happening. Climate models aren't worth the paper they're written on.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Hmmm.

Title of thread.

From article.

A study conducted by the Center for Remote Sensing at Boston University, commissioned by the Arab Forum for Environment and Development, warned that Egypt would be one of the Arab countries most affected by climate change.

Nice use of scare tactic and misstating what the article states to try to push your agenda.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Judging by the recent email leak, and not to mention the incredibly unusual foot of snow outside my window, I call hoax on this entire climate nonsense. Just a great reason for world leaders to get together and discuss ways to tax us more and more and more than likely talk about far more sinister plans than that of the health of the planet.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
"The study showed that coastal erosion of the Delta as a result of natural causes and the extraction of groundwater can be seen in satellite images, especially near the coastal cities of Rosetta and Damietta. The analysis of satellite images shows that the Ras Rashid, “Rosetta”, lost almost 9.5 square kilometers of area. Likewise, the coastline retreated 3 km in the last 30 years (1972 to 2003), meaning that this part of the Delta declines at an alarming rate of about 100 meters in the year".

Yeah I am so sorry this is nonsense, that much land loss couldn't be happening. My apologies.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   

"The study showed that coastal erosion of the Delta as a result of natural causes and the extraction of groundwater can be seen in satellite images, especially near the coastal cities of Rosetta and Damietta. The analysis of satellite images shows that the Ras Rashid, “Rosetta”, lost almost 9.5 square kilometers of area. Likewise, the coastline retreated 3 km in the last 30 years (1972 to 2003), meaning that this part of the Delta declines at an alarming rate of about 100 meters in the year".

Yeah I am so sorry this is nonsense, that much land loss couldn't be happening. My apologies.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

You have successfully demonstrated that all of the coastal erosion that has already occurred HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH A RISE IN THE SEA LEVEL.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by heyo
reply to post by unityemissions

People are not denying climate change. That's ridiculous. What we're denying is the accepted relationship between co2 and temperature. You do realize this is a hypothetical study, don't you???
come on people!!!!

People are denying climate change actually. Many people on these boards will tell you it is all a lie.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

It is good to see a AGW thread that has a few members who are not totally brainwashed by this rubbish. I was on a thread a couple of days ago where a tag team of alarmists did everything they possibly could to derail the thread. The tacky way they deride and mock is very disruptive.

I also do remote sensing but I can't see too much at the moment because my vision is whited out by snow.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by kennyb72]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join