It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talk of Armed Revolution on ATS Inappropriate

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

True. Eerily true. Sadly, I suspect it's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. An armed rebellion is as fallible for it does not appeal to the intellect whereas an intellectual rebellion is fallible for it does not appeal to non-intellectual.

The following Niemöller quote comes to mind in the context of apathy:

First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a communist; Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out—because I was not a trade unionist; Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—because I was not a Jew; Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak out for me.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

Has anybody here ever typed their screen name into the ATS search bar?

I went one step further recently and googled ProtoplasmicTraveler.

I was shocked at the results the web returned.

My posts from ATS are actually quoted and attributed to me on dozens and dozens of websites throughout the world!

What ProtoplasmicTraveler says on ATS appears on websites as benign as boaters weekly to Real TV, from Israel to London to Russia and beyond.

I will grant you many of my posts are controversial but...

Don't assume what you say on ATS stays on ATS and don't assume that you are anonymous where the Internet is concerned.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by moonzoo7

Before I open this can of worms, I will say that I absolutely, unequivicably believe in the Right of Free Speech.

oh baloney.

this well thought out opening statement contradicts the title.

why is this bumped/flagged?

deny ignorance.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Reassuring thread. Interestingly I have found myself wishing do adress this same issue recently, actually its the reason for my activity on the site this evening. The context of of this introspective are more detail oriented....Of late when visiting ATS I have read alot of "Pick a side" rhetoric. SPeciffically aimed at law enforcement as the side they wouldnt want to be on when the shtf. The tone of these posts allways seem to be kind of threatening. On the other hand the pro-Law enforcement folks seem to have a little courtesy about them. The "pick a side" people bother me a tad. Only because they are aiming hostilities at our domestic security, a task that Im sure they themselves are ill equipped to preform.

I dont like getting tickets.
Some of our laws suck.
ALL of our religions are crap.
We should let our kids take over now "while they still know everything"
The courts are abused.
Popular culture drives our economy, and our government.

The "pick a side" people dont seem to care about the sick or the elderly, unless its "thier" sick, or "thier" elderly. They dont want to realize that its those "terrible law enforcement people that are going to be covering thier backside when the s really does hit the fan. There are alot of injustices as well as poor examples of law enforcement. Face it there are som pretty neandrethal people in this world. Do you want those folks hiding behind the dumpster at a childcare facility.

If I were a cop I would make it my lifes work to find the worst people on the face of the planet and make thier existence completely unbeareable until they were dead. And I would have sons and daughters, nieces nephews, grandchildren that I would teach the same way. (in a responsible fashion of course, wouldnt want to sound like a fundie.) And I dont see how anyone except for the worst scum of the earth would want to hurt a person that would give thier life protecting thier right to choose to be a bottomfeeding dirtbag.
This is why I could never be involved in law enforcement. I would not be able to uphold and enforce a set of laws that told me that as an officer of them that I could not break the hands and legs of a child abuser, or decapitate a murderer of the elderly.
As a civilian my thoughts arent much different.
I would describe my relationship with my country as a form of Stockholm syndrome. It has my love kidnapped for its own protection. But as a civilian I dont have to die for a scumbags right to freedom of speech. As an american citezen I have the right to watch a scumbag get his head caved in and not do a thing to stop it.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by psyko45]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
FIRE!!!!!!!

see what I just did? I yelled fire in a crowded thread.

its all about freedom of speech, however ATS isnt the United States of America so....

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Geez, celebrity! I wish I was an internet sensation.

Sorry for the off-topic post.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Question : What do the Illuminati see when they look at their family tree?
Answer : A straight line!

The people of America need to follow in the foot steps of Mahatma Gandhi.
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 2-1-2010 by seasoul]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Someone336

Geez, celebrity! I wish I was an internet sensation.

Sorry for the off-topic post.

Hey my friend your a star in my book and I just gave you one. Give it time, you never know what lays down the road for any of us.

Happy New Year!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Granite

Can you site any historical example where appeasement was the right decision?
Your experience isn't elloborated in your OP.
Some of us may even come over to your camp if we can read about the successful cases.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by Granite]

Hmm... is appeasement the only possible alternative to assassinating the president? Isn't that what is otherwise known as a false dilemma?

-rrr

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   

And a star for you!

New decade.. hopefully it's brighter than the last one. It really interests me that on the second day of the new decade we have such an explosion of threads dealing with revolution.

Who knows what the years will hold?

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I agree spouting off about revolution isn't the smartest of ideas and I do reject violence but that said I take issue with your alternatives. Politics isnt as simple as "getting involved." you need money. Lots of it. And if you need face time as well as a public service record and knowing people in positions of power. You may appeal to the masses but you dont have control of the media or how they will paint you. Suppose you don't agree with the lobbyist in politics or speak out about the current state of government. Your chances of affecting real change are slim to none. That is why with every election and every government its more of the same. Independents achieve little and in the end everyone wishing to get involved and get anywhere close enough to doing something must become a career politician and the only way to stay in the game is to play the game which boils down to picking a set of entrenched interests and supporting them in exchange for "sponsorship."

I would love to be proved wrong one day. It would fill me with joy to see someone get into power who truly represents the people but I just don't see that happening. So while an armed conflict, in my oppinion, is not a good option; voting and getting into politics, I believe, is just as futile.

Politics is theatre and political parties are divisionary. The little guy or girl cannot affect chnage in any meaningful way.

Kudos OP on putting yourself out to ATS on such a hotbutton issue.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I don't give a rat's ass about liberty or freedoms.

As long as I'm safe I'll be fine =D

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by seasoul

I was thinking about Gandhi these past few weeks.

I think the problem with spreading his idea's is that the situations are not the same. In South Africa and India Gandhi was able to use non-violent measures to change thing for a particular part of society. In each of those cases the people lived together but one group was looked down upon or not treated fairly legally. It was the same situation for others who adopted Gandhi's principals like Martin Luther King during the civil rights movement.

It's a different situation than having a whole country come together to non-violently protest. I don't think we could agree with each other enough on a level to come together as a country. In the other situations people were brought together by their race.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Someone336

And a star for you!

New decade.. hopefully it's brighter than the last one. It really interests me that on the second day of the new decade we have such an explosion of threads dealing with revolution.

Who knows what the years will hold?

There is a tremendous amount of uncertainty and apprehension abroad throughout the world right now my friend.

I think there were a tremendous amount of voters who really believed Obama would bring some change to government and real relief to the economy and felt that it would be fairly immediate.

A year down the road things are at best the same on some fronts, worse on other fronts and very few if any improvements on any front to point to.

They are talking about more bailouts and the ones so far haven’t really helped the people. They are broadening the war on terror and so far that hasn’t yielded any results in Afghanistan or Iraq and hasn’t done much to curb the attitudes of that occasional religious extremist willing to risk all to make a political statement against U.S. Foreign policy.

The job market hasn’t improved, and on a whole Americans have never been less optimistic about their future in many decades and it shows.

There are those people who feel a more radical change must somehow be made yet are frustrated as to when and how that could ever be done. There are those people who still have faith in Obama and or the system and fear that the elements who might want to make a radical change might actually try and it will end up being to their detriment if it happens.

Everyone starts out the New Year looking to make this year better than the last, and when you are coming off the heels of a few bad years in a row…

People start thinking, people start talking, in a society as diverse as ours one person’s hope is another person’s fear.

That matters little when times are good, but when times are bad…

In a couple more weeks it will be back to the same old same old though. Most people never stick to their New Years Resolution but I still intend on trying to marry the entire Swedish Bikini Team!

Wish me luck!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Someone336

You should google yours.

Proto is right.

I found my stuff in other languages. I have always used this handle for as long as I can remember.

If you have a minute, it may open your eyes.

I spent an entire day once looking through old posts on YouTube and other sites. It kind of freaks me out.

Like I said before, if there is a list of first to grab, many here are on it.

Not for our positions alone, but for our knowledge.

So you people giving us **** about discussing this, your name is right alongside mine.

How you like them apples.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by seasoul

The people of America need to follow in the foot steps of Mahatma Gandhi.
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 2-1-2010 by seasoul]

The guy used to beat his wife.

but I know what you mean.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Ah yes, I've done this too (I am not one who uses the same screen name for multiple sites) but even so, quotes and whole pieces of work have been spread out and about. There is definitely no guarantee that what you write, will stay where you wrote it. Worth keeping in mind.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

In accordance to the principles of Doublethink, it does not matter if the war is not real, or when it is, that victory is not possible. The war is not meant to be won. It is meant to be continuous. The essential act of modern warfare is the destruction of the produce of human labor. A hierarchical society is only possible on the basis of poverty and ignorance. In principle, the war effort is always planned to keep society on the brink of starvation. The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects. And its object is not victory over Eurasia or Eastasia, but to keep the very structure of society intact. Julia? Are you awake? There is truth, and there is untruth. To be in a minority of one doesn't make you mad.
George Orwell's 1984

How do we define what is "armed revolution" and what is self defense?

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I learned long ago that internet fame was highly over rated. I never registered with the same screen name since. I am a unique snowflake everywhere I go

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

You're absolutely right. First amendment has nothing to do with this type of monstronsity. Personally, I avoid the extremist points of view. . .but I agree. A call to revolution is a malignant vise.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join