It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left Vs. Right Handed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I'm more than a bit out of it today, so pardon my spelling and ask for anything you need explained better.

So, I'm at work at start to pondering.

The predominant part of the population of the States is right handed.

Part of that has to do with school enforcing right handed writing skills until fairly recently.
Somewhat understandable, as I can attest to. Being left handed my left hand has often gotten pretty messy from draggin' my hand over the paper I'm working on.

Now, I do understand that the global population is predominantly right handed, and various cultures have their various interpretations of left versus right handed.

But it does leave me a bit curious, following the number of conspiracies of population control and propaganda, what affect this may have, as it causes people to focus on developing their right versus left side of brain.

Now, like I said, I missed a lot of sleep last night, so I'm a bit out of it, but it leaves me a bit curious from this, as to the number of left handed to right handed folks who are active skeptics and the number of left versus right handed folks who are active believers/debunkers.
Edit: Spelling

[edit on 2-1-2010 by RuneSpider]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Well, I am right-handed, but I don't see why left-handed people should be believers, and right-handed skeptics?

I can't say that I am a believer/skeptics. I am in the middle of these two, confused on whichever path to take.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Hi there !!

I understand that right handed individuals use the right side of the brain.
Left handed individuals use the left.

As you might know, the right side is for logic, the left is creativity etc.
What does this mean ?
When a right side oriented person hears about something illogical.
They don't believe it or logic at least be some sort of barrier.
Left side orientation means that your more open to other explenations without the limitation of logic.

They say religion is left based. Seems logical, right ?

Please forgive if i'm not 100 % correct.
But this is what I remember from what i've learnd in the past.
I'm no brain docter. : )

Greetings

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by 0rigin

Well, I am right-handed, but I don't see why left-handed people should be believers, and right-handed skeptics?

I'm not saying they should be one way or another, but more wondering if there's a significant amount one way or another.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
Hi there !!

I understand that right handed individuals use the right side of the brain.
Left handed individuals use the left.

As you might know, the right side is for logic, the left is creativity etc.
What does this mean ?
When a right side oriented person hears about something illogical.
They don't believe it or logic at least be some sort of barrier.
Left side orientation means that your more open to other explenations without the limitation of logic.

They say religion is left based. Seems logical, right ?

Please forgive if i'm not 100 % correct.
But this is what I remember from what i've learnd in the past.
I'm no brain docter. : )

Greetings

You have this a bit backwards. The left side of the brain is creativity, but controls the right side of the body. The right side of the brain is logic, etc. but controls the left side. A left handed person by your theory would be more logical then a right handed one, so your theory is a bit off. The basic premise you made is wrong.

Edit: For spelling

[edit on 2010/1/3 by TLomon]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
How about if someone is ambidexterous? My right arm is stronger when throwing, though my left is far from weak. I do mostly write right-handed, but can write lefty also. In baseball i bat both right and left handed, with my left being stronger. I also kick left footed, can't kick at all right footed.

I am mostly logical and practical, so i guess my right side is dominant? But i'm also openminded about alot of things. Maybe i'm just confused?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
In my experience, people who can do what you describe most likely were left handed as a child, and environmental factors made them right handed through practicality.

Example: Teacher smacking left hand when you were in pre-school. Parents doing it when you grabbed for a toy with your left hand.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
latin word for right=dexter
latin word for left=sinistral

right hand dominant=left side of brain
left hand dominant=right side of brain

right dominant and can use left hand equally=ambidextrous
left dominant and can use right hand equally=ambisinistral

the left (sinister) was too close to evil and so it was assumed you were possessed by devil, and parents and teachers forced righthandedness.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
My simple idea...

If throughout history there was even only a slight imbalance in favour of right-handedness, then could just simple conflict and combat be a fundamental factor?

For example hand weapons - say were talking about when were about 'cave man' age, you know clubs rocks simple axes... So from that point forward, hunting for food aside (although that would closely tie in here) humans will come into direct one on one combat with each other - Territory, power, dominance, survival and just cos cave men were jerks...

Now we all know our fickle female counterparts (
) Will usually favour a male that wins in combat over a looser (especially studies have shown for a first born child's farther... They would naturally want a strong man around as they are young and new to the world, and strong first offspring to defend and hunt while more offspring come along - a pregnant woman is at a disadvantage should the camp get raided or from predators... After the first born women can relax this instinct and may look for other traits)....

Simply put Henry the cave man pummels Francis over the last zebra steak... He does this week in week out.

Now 1) If this keeps happening Francis only ever gets to suck the Zebra bones for food, and 2) Well the women just love Henry, he's getting bigger and bigger, stronger and stronger - all the women want him in their cave cos he gets all the Zebra steaks, as soon as the sun goes down Henry goes a cave hopping while Francis has to write poetry to get laid!

Now simple numbers over history will dictate that if nature favoured right handed people for whatever reason, maybe simple chance... The numbers will have filtered down to the present day... This is why we see a dominance.

Of course when real culture and later mass education start training this into kids mentioned above - well they are simply extending an engrained perceived advantage. - Sometimes a family will send one kid away to a church or something to study, while another becomes a blacksmith or a farmer etc - which son do you think will have the most off spring?

Also lefties cant use can openers so they go hungry

[edit on 3/1/2010 by Now_Then]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

The interesting thing is, studies based off of circumstantial research show left handed people to be more successful, with a higher percentage of left handed than right handed people towards success by percentage.

These aren't great studies, by any means, but gives more thought to the idea.

but, not exactly what I was going for.

Are the members of ATS predominatly left, right, or has come up, ambidextrous, and pf that, where d their interests lie?

And, may the enforcement of right handedness have some affect on people in general towards educational means.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

Ahh yes - but successful when in history? Remember it's a very long time!

Successful in the modern world could just be the exact traits that in the ancient world would of got you eaten! - If your dreaming about how you can make money rather than learning how to hunt, then well?!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I use my right hand for certain things, and my left hand for certain things. I'm better with using my right, but I can almost use my left hand just as well as my right. I'm nearly ambidextrous.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Currently, left handed people account for a very small part of the population, and there are no clear genetic factors present in them.

Meaning it's less a genetic link, though there are factors that encourage it left handedness that occur before birth.

The idea that left handed people are more creative is not exactly true, instead left handed people tend to use a different style of learning than right handed.
Left handed people are more susceptible to visual than linearized learning.

Which is interesting, as much of our bemoaned education system is linear, something tot he complaint of many involved.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
@ Tlomon

Thanks !!

I'll try to remember

I must say, i should have written, the study showed it was not a given fact. Exceptions were plentyful.

Peace

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Also interesting I think is the fact that at most animals are:

Man Part left handed
Woman Part right handed

but only most.

new topics

top topics

join