It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama cites apparent al-Qaida link in bomb plot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

HONOLULU – An al-Qaida affiliate in Yemen apparently ordered the Christmas Day plot against a U.S. airliner, training and arming the 23-year-old Nigerian man accused in the failed bombing, President Barack Obama said Saturday.

The U.S. plans to more than double it its counterterrorism aid to the impoverished, fragmented Arab nation in the coming year to support Yemen's campaign against al-Qaida.

SOURCE

I found this interesting because I thought that the Pakastani Taliban group took credit for this. I wonder if this will also escalate to the point where we keep some troops there to help out with security. The plane attack came after we did some bombing over there. If the plane attack was revenge for that, I wonder what they would try if we do keep some troops there.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by Aaron_Justin]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Whoops got my news stories crossed. Was thinking of this thread:

Pakistan Taliban: CIA traitor carried out deadly attack

Still though, this all leaves one to wonder if US intervention and occupation is causing more insurgancy groups than it is preventing.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aaron_Justin
The plane attack came after we did some bombing over there. If the plane attack was revenge for that

Although AQAP claims the attempted plane attack was in retaliation for the recent U.S. intervention, logic will tell you that there is no way they recruited, trained, acquired the PETN, staged, planned, established travel arrangements, etc. in the 2 week interim peroid.

I wonder what they would try if we do keep some troops there.

They will continue attacks either way.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

I am sure they have plenty of people trained and ready to die for their cause at a moment's notice already, so I doubt they would need the training time. Afterall, all the kid did was get on the plane and he was assisted by another gentelman according to one of the flight members. So really, he just needed to be willing and nothing more.

As far as your claim that they would attack us regardless, well, thats really an opinion and not a fact. Our foreign policy has consequences. Noone should be surprised when they come to fruition.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aaron_Justin
reply to post by makeitso

I am sure they have plenty of people trained and ready to die for their cause at a moment's notice already, so I doubt they would need the training time.

Ah, your sure. Well then, that settles it, eh?
Perhaps you can clue us in to what makes you sure?
Is it because his airline ticket was purchased before the U.S. actions in Yemen?

Nigerian officials said the man's round-trip plane ticket was bought on Dec. 16 in Accra, Ghana, for $2,831 in cash

all the kid did was get on the plane and he was assisted by another gentelman according to one of the flight members. So really, he just needed to be willing and nothing more.

Ah, I get it, he just got on a plane.
Nobody had a plan thought out. Nobody took the time to get the finances together. He didn't have to find his way to members of an extremist group that wanted to blow up a plane. He didn't have to prove his loyalties to them. He didn't have to be vetted as a solid agent who would kill himself. He didn't have to be tested to see if he was a double agent.

Nobody had to pay to acquire explosives. PETN didn't have to be developed, or tested somewhere first. The PETN didn't have to have a primer developed to set off the reaction. It just appeared in his underwear.

He didn't have to be instructed how to hide the device, or which route to take. He didn't have to be instructed how to hide his fear of capture at each airport. He didn't have to be instructed how to go to the bathroom and stage the explosive. He didn't have to be told when the appropriate time to set of the explosive was. He didn't have to be taught to drug himself. No thought, planning, staging, walk-thru, testing, training or funding.

He just got on a plane and it magically happened.
Yes, it all makes pefect sense now.

As far as your claim that they would attack us regardless, well, thats really an opinion and not a fact.

Just my opinion.
Nothing to do with their own statement claiming responsibility. You know, the one where they say they will keep on attacking until the only religion is Islam. Nothing to do with any of their thousands of previous statements saying the same. Nothing to do with him having the flight ticket before the U.S. action in Yemen.

Just my opinion. Right.

Our foreign policy has consequences. Noone should be surprised when they come to fruition.

Really? Is that why they set off a suicide bomber to kill volleyball players in Pakistan last week? Is that why they bomb in Saudi Arabia? How about the bombings in Spain, the bombings in the U.K., bombs plots in Germany, the bombings and kidnappings in Sri Lanka, Kosevo, Chechna , China, India, calling to "disinfect" Spain.
The list goes on and on.

So, those actions are because of U.S. foreign policy too, or is there something more going on?

[edit on 1/3/10 by makeitso]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
All I am saying is that I do not think it would take that much time to pull that kind of attack off. They probably already have explosive matierals. You could train the kid within a couple days of where to hide it, how it works, and when exactly is the best time. Also, keep in mind the attack failed. Obviously it was sloppy. That could be a sign of it being rushed.

Your condescending tone is not appreciated either. I just gave my thoughts. If you do not agree and you want to beleive the US can meddle into the affairs of other countries for years with no adverse affects whatsoever, well, its your choice to live with the wool over your eyes.

With that said, nowhere did I say that every attack in the world is because of the US. I am just saying that when we take an interventionist, pre-strike stance, we are going to piss a lot of people off.

When it comes down to it, I know just as much as you do about whats going on over there and why, which is not much. What we do have is our opinions based on what little information we see, which is always one sided from the US perspective.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Here we go again.. whenever the puppet or any of his lackeys belch out "it was al qaida" I'm reminded of children who use the boogie-man excuse to crawl in bed with mom.

IMO the so called bloated intelligence community is a giant cluster##k by design, from WMDs in iraq to the official 9/11 story these clowns have no real idea of who is doing what, what's really going on and are too confused to find their own ass with both hands.

Official confusion and information overload allows the war mongering bushbamas of the world to pick & choose intel they like to justify the lasted US mis-adventure TPTB want to accomplish.

And seriously.. how can these people still have one iota of credibility? govt & MSM experts are constantly wrong, obama is a proven liar, so far the entire ridiculously coined "war on terror" has a foundation in lies and dis-information.. these reports are just not believable anymore.. to the point these "terror" stories read like some low budget cheesy paperback.

top topics

join