It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge comet appears near sun.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
So, was the timing of the CME just a coincidence or what? The video sure makes it look like the comet and the CME weren't that far apart in time...

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I mentioned earlier I thought there'd be a CME.

In every footage I've seen of comets hitting suns there's been a CME right after impact. Surely they can't be NOT related!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

I think it would be nice to have a compilation of all the Sun-grazer/impacts of comets and look for possible correlated CME's. Something else that would be nice is to watch the actual point of impact.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Browsing SOHO's site I found this Quick Time video, QT With Sound, on the bottom of this page;

SOHO Movies-Flares and CME's

WOW I'm hooked! I need to learn more about this, does anyone know of more video's with sound from SOHO?
I'm assuming that these are actual radio waves from the Sun in realtime with the video, if your wondering the reason why they're audible is because they have been amplified.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

Hold up, didnt the comet hit the sun?

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Observer23

I think it evaporated before it reached the sun.
spaceweather.com...
You can see it in this.

THANKYOU

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
From earlier in the thread:

sungrazer.nrl.navy.mil...
Do the comets cause coronal mass ejections (CMEs) or flares?
It has been suggested that comets "hitting the Sun" cause solar flares and CMEs. Indeed, if you watch movies of many of our comets, you will see that they do indeed coincide with CMEs. However, there is no relationship between the two, and it is purely coincidence that we see this. Around the peak of the solar cycle, we often see ten or twenty CMEs per day, and on average SOHO discovers a new comet once every three days. So it is really no surprise that we frequently see the two occur at the same time. It is also important to keep in mind the sizes of the objects involved. The Sun is enormous, and SOHO comets are tiny (tens of meters). A few simple calculations can show that a SOHO comets striking the Sun is, dimensionally speaking, approximately the equivalent of a tennis ball striking Australia... and the tennis ball has the density of a soft scoop of ice cream and Australia is at least thousands of degrees Celcius! The tiny comets are of no significance to the Sun, and would plunge in completely unnoticed (and would likely evaporate long before reaching the surface anyway).

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
2 more comets appear on the 8th and 9th of January

they follow near the same path as the others

soho.esac.esa.int...

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 1kftabove

It has been pointed out that comets seem to come in pairs, I find this curious as here it is again. It's also interesting to watch Venus move behind the Sun and Mercury move off the screen to the upper right.

posted on Jan, 18 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by 1kftabove

Since the page you linked is continually updating, if you watch it now you will see Venus return from behind the Sun on its way back towards Earth for another inferior conjunction. Personally I love to watch the planets move from this perspective, it gives a richer understanding of our solar system.
SOHO link.

The process of Venus moving out from behind the Sun after superior conjunction to where it moves in front of the Sun into inferior conjunction (and vise versa) takes about 260 days which is a part of the Maya calendar system (20 months of 13 days each).

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Check out the image in my photos. I took it, and what you are seeing is the full moon, shadows lightened to enhance detail and the sphere kinda showed up...

files.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 28-1-2010 by lostnspace]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join