It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas Masks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I've put off buying gas masks for my family for far too long. There are so many types out there and before pulling the trigger and purchasing some I wanted to see what you all may have purchased for yourself and what is their performance, appearance, and difficulty purchasing new canisters.

German M-10

Filter site

More Masks from cheaperthandirt

Please include links if you know of some good deals.

Thanks!

[edit on 2-1-2010 by on_yur_6]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by on_yur_6

IMO, it comes down to personal choice. Like deciding to buy either, Ford, Chevy, BMW, Ect.

Each will have it's pro's and con's, some will offer more protection than others.

Now, that said. As a former Desert Storm Vet, I can tell you this. They will protect you to a degree. But they are not 100% protection. Gas Masks, (at least Military Grade), as well as BioChem Gear in general, are only made to protect the individual long enough to complete the mission at hand.

If you're worried about the following:

Nerve Agents
Blister Agents
Poisonous Gas, (ie Sarin)
Ect.

Then pick the best you can afford and hope for the best. That's really all you can do. I'm not trying to be doom and gloom. Just being honest.

As for Civilian Masks, we all know they will be of lower grade quality, (unless you get lucky OR have bookoo bucks to spend)

Just realize, at the end of the day, they're more for you're piece of mind then actual real protection. They may block allergens, various minor airborne virus's, ect. But the real NASTY stuff that you should really be afraid of can absorb thru skin and/or any mucus membrane.

Some of the more nasty nerve and blister agents can melt the rubber/plastic on your mask and eventually get in anyway.

Again...really not trying to scare you or anyone else that sees this....Just want to educate and inform.

Don't believe me?? Ask any military person that has seen the affects first hand, (go to a VA hostpital and ask a vet), or research the affects of the above mentioned items....some of that stuff can scare you sh@#less.

Good Luck!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Israeli M15 Military Gas Mask $52.99 (probably better sources but I haven't bought one in years and googled it) Issued by Israeli government, this item is regarded as the benchmark gas mask for military protection.
www.allergybegone.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I've been curious about gas masks for some time. Ideally, I would think that the new XM50 Joint Service General Purpose Mask the US armed forces are getting would be the best, not only for protection, but it has good field of view and is better when trying to use a weapon with it. ( www.specwargear.com... ) ( www.specwargear.com... ) Is it possible to purchase these or are they only allowed for military? I wouldn't think something like this would be off limits to civilians, but I could understand if all sales were going directly to the DOD until they could equip all the troops, before having extra for civilians.

Considering this newest issue, I would image that they would be getting rid of the older, but still quite good in protection and visibility, MCU-2/P. I don't know how surplus works, but it might be something to check into.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I've wanted to buy some for a while as well until I saw how old most of them are...the filters are only good for 10 years when sealed, the masks are only good for 20 or so...
Then I read this article on the actual dangers of some of these surplus masks...some have chemicals that can badly damage your lungs, others are 100% ineffective or were recalled by their respective governments and sold as surplus novelty items
www.approvedgasmasks.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousMoose

Hmmm.. Let me tell you, I had to refurb tons of M17's that they pulled out of the logistics center back in the early 1990's. Some of these things were way beyond 20 years old. We replaced the seals / gaskets, put in new filters and shipped them to our allies in the middle east.

So, I have to assume that if we went through all that trouble that they were expected to work. Many of them were pre-drink tube versions but the rubber seemed just fine.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Surplus masks are just that surplus.

Unless you have the training to inspect and understand how and what they protect against they may be next to useless.

In some cases foreign masks are limited in what they will protect against.

No gas mask will protect against everything, This is why firefighters do not use them and rely on bottled air systems.

Another problem with gas masks is they don't fit everyone. plus many people do not know how to use one right.

Any smart attacker would add a little vomiting agent to there chemical agents.

I will guarantee that one whiff will fill the gas mask with vomit and you will die when you try to clear it.
These agents have been produced for 2 purposes, as riot-control agents and as emesis-inducing agents to promote removal of personal protective gear during chemical warfare.
emedicine.medscape.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Yep,

I see some limited NBC uses. Very true about "protection" in general and I have a few just in case. Navigating OUT of a bio area would be the prime usage in my opinion.

Very good for "particle" protection though or possibly "volcanic" ash protection as that stuff will turn your lungs to concrete.

They definitely work against CS gas and I am sure many of the half-a$$ crap some terrorist sh!theads might brew in their basement. I wouldn't spend a ton of money though. A few Israeli masks should work fine.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by RecentlyAwaken

Spot on !!!

All what RecentlyAwaken said is true!

For me, my NBC kit is temporary protection to get me out of a situation. I use S10's with full British Army NBC kit (Smock, trousers, gloves and overboots)

When I worked in London I kept a kit bag in my locker and had a smaller bag I carried around. I have enough kit at my home to get myself and my family out of dodge and to one of our safe areas.

The hardest thing to get hold of is good quality, in date, filters. I only have 5 left that are in date.

I’ve seen them advertised on the internet but they always seem to be industrial filters that are threat specific and not the multipurpose military ones.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I also have spent my time around gas masks in the military and know how to use, and inspect the masks. My biggest concern is bugging out. Just getting the heck out of dodge if something happens. The most likely scenario would be some type of crowd dispersal gas. The likely hood of some military grade nerve agent hitting middle nowhere America is very slim.

If anyone has purchased one recently please provide a link to the mask and new filters.

posted on Jan, 5 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Well coming from another side I have OSHA training and have worked in Poison Gas environments. along with some other very nasty industrial HAZMATS...

Cheap is not what you want...
Example of CBRN PAPR System
first only buy P-series NIOSH approved filters See Break down here

Secondly never buy any mask unless it comes with a CBRN rating (Chemical, biological, radiological, and nuclear) some blister agents will make cheap plastic dissolve...

For an Idea what the Pros use

one of many places to buy

Updated version of what I used at work

[edit on 5-1-2010 by DaddyBare]

top topics

join