It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain facing one of the coldest winters in 100 years, experts predict

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff
Perhaps Britain will become the new Switzerland, and make lots of money from skiers etc, that should help pay for the Russian gas Britain will need?
And even more food imports, warmer clothing, etc.

Apart from the fact we dont have the alps to ski down, just a few big hills. Unfortunately there are no bright sides to Britain getting colder, it's miserable enough as it is, and the nation comes to a hault with just a dusting of snow, were not very prepared for it here. we have no snow ploughs, hardly any cars have snow chains and the gritters we do have don't seem to bother or have got the wrong type of grit

[edit on 2-1-2010 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

We're really lucky here ... it's semi-rural and there are a couple of local farmer who come up and down the street in their tractors with snow-movers attached to the front.

And we've had a gritter go by most days ... we country-bumpkins pull together when the chips are dowm ... hell, last year the mayor pitched in and shovelled a path through the snow top to bottom of the main street (I live in a very small Yorkshire market town).

Woody

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

I suppose they are--we here in wisconsin have had 2 normal winters and if this one keeps going like it is, will be 3 . i lived in same town 53 years--uncle george is 88 years old and We did notice the change before they really started the dimming spray. 1992 was a warm year here in wis, 72 degrees plus and we were fishing on the ice with t shirts --you can deny global warming all you want, but us old timers know its real. the planes spray daily here with mostly giant white planes--always early morning the most--they have been doing this for over 15 years here that we noticed, matbe longer. the last 3 years its heavey spraying all summer and even in the winter now. why?? its because the problem is so bad they are not talking much about it for they they they know how really bad it is------i have heard all the chem-trailing ideas,and i know there are a few right on the money, but the dimming spraying is the number 1 reason right now---and it works doesnt it?? problem is they cant maintain this spraying with out the bad side affects that are showing up already-soon all of you will catch on ,it just takes longer with deniers like any problem that comes up. look in the skies--watch what time they spray---why during the morning mostly???? people need to wake up and get togather for lots of things are crashing faster than u think or me for that matter.. science can be denied by the ignorant -thats why there is SCIENCE

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against
This may be why.........

Link to full article below here

Global warming will not result in a warmer Mediterranean-type climate for Britain, according to a new study from the Public Marine Laboratory in Plymouth. Instead it will get much colder, with Cornwall becoming a centre for winter sports, ports around the country ice-bound for much of the year and icebergs a frequent sight around the western coast.

In an even more extreme scenario American scientists are predicting that the UK could develop a climate similar to that of Spitsbergen, the island 400 miles north of Norway's mainland and just 780 miles from the North Pole.

The culprit is the Gulf Stream, the warm water current that brings mild temperatures to Britain. The new research suggests it may be "pushed south" by global warming, which would mean that as the planet heats up, Britain, paradoxically, could actually get much colder.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by Rising Against]

[edit on 2-1-2010 by Rising Against]

How freaking convenient!
Another example of changing the story to match the facts. Soon it is going to be that global warming isn't really going to affect OUR globe, it's the moon we really need to be worried about!
They should really get off their silly soapboxes. Don't they know how stupid they look up there!?!?!?!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by bargoose
Glogal warming is at it's end, a natural cycle. Mankinds influence on it is a drop in the ocean. Ice core samples, sediment samples and other hard evidence demonstrates that ice ages and warmer periods come and go in very regular and predictable cycles. We are on the brink of the next ice age!

Not by Fire but by Ice
Heaven help us if that is true,
www.iceagenow.com...

www.iceagenow.com...

itsrainmakingtime.com...

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Ooh, it might get down to minus 16 c. That's average in Eastern Canada. When it gets down to minus 30, then it's cold!! Yesterday was minus 13. Today it's supposed to go up to plus 2 and we're getting a snow storm right now. Which sucks because I have to get the snowblower out, which means I have to go outside. Here's our forecast.
Tonight
Snow at times heavy mixed with ice pellets changing to rain mixed with snow and ice pellets late this evening. Snow and ice pellet amount 5 to 10 cm. Blowing snow early this evening. Wind northeast 40 km/h gusting to 70 increasing to 70 gusting to 120 near midnight. Temperature rising to plus 2 by morning.

Sunday
Periods of snow. Snow mixed with rain in the morning. Snowfall amount 2 to 4 cm. Wind east 40 km/h gusting to 60 becoming northeast 20 in the afternoon. Temperature falling to zero in the afternoon.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

---if no globale warming, why all the airplanes spraying their haze junk every morning for going on twenty years here in wisconsin??? i am 53 and lived in the same wintery town all my life----dont tell me the science is wrong for we live it up here----the deniers will be shown the way just like every problem before--just takes them longer to come around-------why the spraying ??? could it be that it works??? yes, but it cant be maintained without side affects showing up. some people are starting to notice side affects, but i will let the scientists not on the take explain them.---i know the major increase in spraying in the last 3 years tells me that it is more serious then the gov. kets on.---mabe jesse will do a show on the issue, hope so-----ignorant people can deny science, that why there is science-----i just gotta laugh --its a sic laugh for i know its far more serious then being told--i will also say that good by to solar power since they will spray more each year till the pannels will not work so good---think about that----

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala
I haven't lived in Scotland long enough to gauge how bad this winter is.

But the locals think this is the snowiest period since Jan/Feb 1987, with the most prolonged cold snap since the late 1970's. And, on average, the worst is still to come.

I wish the Scottish would look to Scandinavia and learn how to drive in snow, that's my only wish. They seem to all use first gear, rev their cars maniacally and simply hope for the best. No one uses winter tires, snowchains are an exotic luxury to 99.9% of them.

I have proper winter tyres on my car and I'm probably the only one in London who has it (but then I do have driven a lot on small icy winter roads in Northern Scandinavia). I have to agree with you -- Brits in general don't know how to drive in snow. There might be a tiny bit of white fluff on the road and traffic some to a complete standstill. It's laughable.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Since GW is a complete load of BS, this does go a long way to showing the global cooling that had been predicted by the real scientists. I do remember winters like this, some 30 years ago i remember snow in December. so to see it this year just shows how much GW really is happening, and for those who say that this is the result of GW, you really need your head tested, go and look at the real science, and maybe just have a look outside the back door for a change, instead of sitting in front of your mind stewing TV listening to what MSM and Mr Al Gore have to say. we need to start producing more CO2 and warm things up again. Happy Bloddy new year

[edit on 1,2,2010 by neo5842]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo5842
Since GW is a complete load of BS, this does go a long way to showing the global cooling that had been predicted by the real scientists. I do remember winters like this, some 30 years ago i remember snow in December. so to see it this year just shows how much GW really is happening, and for those who say that this is the result of GW, you really need your head tested, go and look at the real science, and maybe just have a look outside the back door for a change, instead of sitting in front of your mind stewing TV listening to what MSM and Mr Al Gore have to say. we need to start producing more CO2 and warm things up again. Happy Bloddy new year

[edit on 1,2,2010 by neo5842]

Here is the truth about Global Warming.

The new question for 2010: "Are you a Global Warming Hoax denier?"

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo

Originally posted by Rising Against
This may be why.........

Link to full article below here

How freaking convenient!
Another example of changing the story to match the facts. Soon it is going to be that global warming isn't really going to affect OUR globe, it's the moon we really need to be worried about!
They should really get off their silly soapboxes. Don't they know how stupid they look up there!?!?!?!

Hey im sorry but i have been studying the affects of GW for some years now. It is common knowledge in the scientific arena that it can and will cause cooling in parts of the globe. The heating of the earth is causing fresh water to mix with salt water off Greenland, this will slow down and possibly stop the war sea currents that keep the uk warm. Please try researching a little before posting throw away comments. It dosent make give your post much credence. Global Warming causes Climate Change. This is known how much we are causing these affects is debatable and so is the end result.
Try harder you can do better..
kx

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
"Do not touch the black horn, as it gets very cold as the CO2 Extinguisher is discharged"

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by conar

I suppose you used bold text on the "very cold" because of something you was thinking about, right?

We cannot see what you was thinking, so could you please explain it? Thanks in advance.

PS: in case you bolded "very cold" because you think the cold is a result of CO2, then you are wrong, that happens with any pressurized gas when it is released to a much lower pressure, that's how refrigerators work.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

I'm saying CO2 is cold

I'm joking offcourse

[edit on 2-1-2010 by conar]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

The BBC / Met Office use a fancy Super Computer to predict the weather.

Last week, they said Northampton was due heavy snow all day, all night and the following day.

Guess what? Not one snowflake!

So how can they say it's going to be a cold month / winter when they can't get the next few hours correct.

Wait and see people with a pinch of salt!!!!!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Lol! I was saying today to my kids that I am sure the weather is getting colder, I've never been so bloody cold!! I'm gutted that the UK isn't going to heat up, I was looking forward to growing some tropical plants and trees!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Not that I believe an iota of AGW but somewhere on the web is a satellite photo that shows the affect that the melting polar ice cap has on the Gulf stream and yea and verily, it affects the UK and surrounding area.

I grew up in N.J. (USA) and this reminds me of the weather in the 60's and early 70's when it was cold with lots of snow.

I'd much rather be in the Caribbean.

Stay warm and may God bless the UK.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by itsawild1

Well how are you tonight?

www.accuweather.com...
More Extreme, Widespread Cold to Grip the Plains

www.accuweather.com...

www.accuweather.com...:05

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
It Didn't Start With Climategate

the Second Assessment Report was hijacked by an AGW activist who re-wrote key conclusions and injected a level of alarmism that had not been present in the consensus document.
media.hoover.org...
www.sepp.org...

The reviewing scientists used this original language to keep themselves and the IPCC honest. I am in no position to know who made the major changes in Chapter 8;

but the report's lead author,

Benjamin D. Santer, must presumably take the major responsibility.

IPCC reports are often called the "consensus" view. If they lead to carbon taxes and restraints on economic growth, they will have a major and almost certainly destructive impact on the economies of the world. Whatever the intent was of those who made these significant changes,

"their effect is to deceive policy makers and the public into believing that the scientific evidence shows human activities are causing global warming."

Fred Singer, in the SEPP editorial quoted above, continues:

[I]n addition to these text changes there are also

"two key graphs that were doctored in order to convey the impression that anthropogenic influences are dominant. "

Again, my Hoover essay gives the details.

1. According to all climate models, [greenhouse] warming shows a characteristic 'fingerprint': a 'hot spot' in temperature trend values in the tropical upper troposphere. Michaels and Knappenberger [Nature 384 (1996):522-523] discovered that the IPCC's claimed agreement with observations was spurious and obtained by selecting a convenient segment of the radiosonde temperature data and ignoring the rest.

2. Santer also claimed that the modeled and observed patterns of geographic surface temperatures were correlated, with the correlation coefficient increasing over time (suggesting to the reader that a growing human component gradually emerged from background noise). I found, however, that

Santer had obtained this result by simply deleting from a published graph all the trend lines that disagreed with his desired outcome

[Eos 80 (1999):372].

In fact, the original paper had Santer himself as lead author and did not appear in print until after the IPCC report was completed - in contravention of IPCC rules.

It is interesting that these several documented falsifications went largely unreported and had little impact on scientists and politicians, who went on to support the passage of the Kyoto Protocol -- in spite of the absence of any scientific support.

So the Kyoto protocol was based on fictitious science, exaggerated or fabricated outright for political purposes. The same Professor Santer who hijacked the Second Assessment Report figures prominently in Climategate. Many of his emails were disclosed by the East Anglia whistleblower; among other things, they show Santer resisting all efforts by independent scientists to obtain information, through Freedom of Information Act requests, about the statistical manipulations that Santer applies to raw climate data to "prove" the existence of anthropogenic global warming.

Fraud: it is the one constant in the history of the global warming hysteria movement.

www.powerlineblog.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
Here we go again.... scientists saying whatever is required to make whats actually happening fit their model of GW.

For years they have told us GW will result in UK climate getting warmer and warmer. Since that doesnt seem to be actually happening they have chnaged tack and are going to say the opposite.

So if say next winter it does not get colder than usual can we agree this is just more BS.

ps.. if the gulf stream moves south, how will this affect north pole sea ice... presumably the sea will start to freeze over again. Happy polar bears again.

Just shows the lies they are spinning vis a vis inconsistent stories.

PS: even with the coldest winter in 100 years or more, the average temperature for the year may be above the usual average.

Well, whether it is warming or cooling, surely you would not expect to see record highs and lows at the same time?

In other words, forget the fact the highs are getting higher and instead look at the fact the temperature differential is increasing.

Which is worse (summer high/winter low)? +10/-5 or +30/-30?

Why?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join