It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain facing one of the coldest winters in 100 years, experts predict

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Britain is bracing itself for one of the coldest winters for a century with temperatures hitting minus 16 degrees Celsius, forecasters have warned.

A spokesman for the Met Office said: “It is certainly a while since we had cold weather like this and there isn’t any sign of any milder weather on the way.”

Paul Michaelwaite, forecaster for NetWeather.tv, said: “It is looking like this winter could be in the top 20 cold winters in the last 100 years.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Correct me if im wrong but doesn't global warming mean it should be getting warmer? And here we might have the coldest winter in 100 years! What!?

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
This may be why.........

Link to full article below here

Global warming will not result in a warmer Mediterranean-type climate for Britain, according to a new study from the Public Marine Laboratory in Plymouth. Instead it will get much colder, with Cornwall becoming a centre for winter sports, ports around the country ice-bound for much of the year and icebergs a frequent sight around the western coast.

In an even more extreme scenario American scientists are predicting that the UK could develop a climate similar to that of Spitsbergen, the island 400 miles north of Norway's mainland and just 780 miles from the North Pole.

The culprit is the Gulf Stream, the warm water current that brings mild temperatures to Britain. The new research suggests it may be "pushed south" by global warming, which would mean that as the planet heats up, Britain, paradoxically, could actually get much colder.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
so we are the last in the queue for globle warming , brown is pushing us into bankruptcy and we are going to freeze . what about all the countries that don,t need extra heating, donating to our fuel bills

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
typical. Britans weather is so sh-t, that even global warming makes it colder.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by superdebz

Haha its just our luck isnt it.

The whole world gets warmer but us...

Typical

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I have lived down a farm track the past 8 years.
Last February for the first time ever, nobody could drive up or down for about 2 weeks due to the long lasting ice. This Winter we had this in December already.
Previously you only had difficulties for three days or so, tops, at a time.
Some of us are already talking about having to get our entire fuel stocks in before next Winter as delivery wagons can't get down. Not good.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Correct me if im wrong but doesn't global warming mean it should be getting warmer? And here we might have the coldest winter in 100 years! What!?
Globally, yes.

It's not called "UK warming".

PS: even with the coldest winter in 100 years or more, the average temperature for the year may be above the usual average.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by unicorn1

I'm in north east Scotland, and we are in exactly the same situation. We almost never have snow this early in the winter, but this is bad, and doesn't last this long whenever it snows. Last year was crazy enough, but the snow was much later in the year...February and March, which is when we expect it. No signs of it letting up either, and now the Met Office is saying the end of the month is going to get even colder.

There is absolutely a change in the last two years....much colder winters, more snow and long very wet summers. The next three months will be interesting.

Stay warm everyone!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
So the gulf stream *might* be "pushed south" by global warming, which would mean that as the planet heats up, Britain, paradoxically, could actually get much colder.

But the gulf stream has not moved yet and Britain is freezing NOW?

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Perhaps Britain will become the new Switzerland, and make lots of money from skiers etc, that should help pay for the Russian gas Britain will need?
And even more food imports, warmer clothing, etc.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I haven't lived in Scotland long enough to gauge how bad this winter is.

But the locals think this is the snowiest period since Jan/Feb 1987, with the most prolonged cold snap since the late 1970's. And, on average, the worst is still to come.

I wish the Scottish would look to Scandinavia and learn how to drive in snow, that's my only wish. They seem to all use first gear, rev their cars maniacally and simply hope for the best. No one uses winter tires, snowchains are an exotic luxury to 99.9% of them.

Now, this study.

If Britain becomes Norway, what does Norway become ? The North Pole ?

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Here we go again.... scientists saying whatever is required to make whats actually happening fit their model of GW.

For years they have told us GW will result in UK climate getting warmer and warmer. Since that doesnt seem to be actually happening they have chnaged tack and are going to say the opposite.

So if say next winter it does not get colder than usual can we agree this is just more BS.

ps.. if the gulf stream moves south, how will this affect north pole sea ice... presumably the sea will start to freeze over again. Happy polar bears again.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Globally, yes.

It's not called "UK warming".

PS: even with the coldest winter in 100 years or more, the average temperature for the year may be above the usual average.

If the short term climate models are so far off, how can anyone put so much faith in their long term predictions?

From the article:

The cold weather comes despite the Met Office’s long range forecast, published, in October, of a mild winter. That followed it’s earlier inaccurate prediction of a “barbecue summer”, which then saw heavy rainfall and the wettest July for almost 100 years.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Glogal warming is at it's end, a natural cycle. Mankinds influence on it is a drop in the ocean. Ice core samples, sediment samples and other hard evidence demonstrates that ice ages and warmer periods come and go in very regular and predictable cycles. We are on the brink of the next ice age!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by bargoose
Glogal warming is at it's end, a natural cycle. Mankinds influence on it is a drop in the ocean. Ice core samples, sediment samples and other hard evidence demonstrates that ice ages and warmer periods come and go in very regular and predictable cycles. We are on the brink of the next ice age!

Yes, welcome to the planet Earth.
We have ice ages about every 10,000 years.
We are due for another ice age in about 1,500 years.
Buying carbon credits will not change that.
-------------------------------------------------
The planet Earth is following its own geological clock.
The billions of people on Earth are just along for the ride.
Man is not responsible for global warming.
Al Gore and his minions should be thrown in prison for collusion.
The hacked emails tell the whole story.

Hide the decline = hide the truth

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

Ha, I was only telling my kids this morning how it was when i was their age , constantly bloody cold.

I delivered milk (the days it came in bottles) and often just threw the milkbottles down the garden or over the neighbours wall into the snow on the doorstep.

Global warming ? Call me ignorant but seems like bollocks to me back to normal freaking cold.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Stop moaning and go buy a sledge off e.bay for ten quid.

Take care and have fun.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 2-1-2010 by h3akalee]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deny Arrogance
If the short term climate models are so far off, how can anyone put so much faith in their long term predictions?
I know I don't trust more than 3 days predictions.

The last time I read something about it (a long time ago), not even meteorologists trusted long term predictions, I don't know how they see them now.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I live in Scotland and yes it is cold, but not any colder than it was when I was younger.

This winter is impacting more because ....a) The snow is earlier than last year... and b) the previous 4 winters have been so mild that the change is viewed as vast.

I also think that the media have a hand on how bad we view our own weather conditions. It just takes 2 inches of snow and they declare doom and gloom, death and severe weather warnings all over the place. I also think that the local councils have been told not grit and salt the roads as much as possible just to add to our media conceived disasters.

It is winter as we used to know it. Switch off the news, grab your friends, kids, grandkids and go have some fun.

Respects

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by h3akalee

Hey there long time no type.

quite agree ... there's a snow boulder half way up the hill where I walk the dog that's gonna be there until June at this rate.

Just as one lot starts to slowly disappear another lot comes along (since before christmas now).

I might take your advice ... buy a sledge ... harness it up to the dog and pop down to the local shop.

Woody

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join