It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS ads vs anti plishing filters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
hi - for reasons i cannot begin to truelly understand , my internet security has suddenly [ last 10 days ] taken an active dislike to loading ATS pages

the ` problem ` is simple - it simply " stalls " displaying the ` anti plishing filter active `

refresh / f5 always works EVENTUALLY but it can take between zero [ loads first time ] to 3 attempts

now i have a theory - that its not ATS.COM - but the plethora of adverts that are vexxing my security - as the adds change every time the page view changes

but ATS pages remain the same [ unless a new reply is posted , or staff make an edit ]

and the fact that sometimes it loads instantly - but others it takes 2 / 3 attempts [ seperate refreshes ]

this leads me to suspect the adverts

any one else having similar problems - or sujjest solutions ?

PS - my internet security is AVG , i have ad aware [ set to allow all ATS content ] and maybe some other stuff

but it only hapens on ASTS as far as i can tell

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
After being online every day since it was possible to "be online," as well as in the "trenches" of creating Internet technologies during that time, it's my opinion that "anti-bad-stuff" filtering software throws up a plethora of false positives and alerts for marginal (at best) activity in order to convince you that it's actually doing something.

I have a stock PC (HP laptop) using the Norton anti-bad-stuff software that was pre-installed, set to the lowest-possible security settings. I use that for the majority of my ATS browsing (over the past five months), and have never been infected or encountered any alerts.

I'm not advocating the removal of anti-bad-stuff software, but most impose such a ridiculous level of faux-security, as to be comparable to the TSA.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

I'm not advocating the removal of anti-bad-stuff software, but most impose such a ridiculous level of faux-security, as to be comparable to the TSA.

My body scanning software, after several minutes of calculations has alerted me that I'm overdressed for this ATS environment.

My ad sniffing software has found multiple security risks and has forwarded them all to the FBI.

My antivirus, malware, spyware software systems have all been arguing over the severity of these risks but vow to keep me safe as long as I pay the monthly premium subscriptions.

This page....

ATS Server: www2.theabovenetwork.com
Powered by AboveTop:Board v2.3
Header data processed in 0.014 seconds
Page processed in 0.038 seconds
14 total database queries (4)

Actual load time was much longer... But at least I am safe.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I'll have to agree with the OP on this one.

I get a 404 response on the ads that are typically on the upper right side of the pages.

About 3-4 weeks ago, I kept getting the Virtumonde virus from those ads. I went to download.com and loaded the free avira anti-virus and it has stopped it dead. But that's only cuz I told it to deny access to it whenever it encounters it.

But still, 2-3 times a week, i get a new warning of another virus trying to get access, which I of course tell it to block, and remember this action.

So with all due respect to Skeptic Overlord, the fact that in your experience, you haven't had any problems, means nothing. The issues are there. Your users have told you this. You might be behind a firewall that automatically reject these ads, or whatever else they do (I'm not that technically knowledgeable about these issues).

ATS needs to do something about it. Period.

We all realize that you have a business to run, and these ads allow ATS to remain online. But you should be more rigorous in patrolling your site. YOU should have some type of program that identifies these threats, along with some type of program that tells your advertizers that their ads are infected.

To NOT do this is a breach of trust to your users.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I haven't found any problems either, except the "Not found" page on the right-side ads, when I visit ATS without logging-in to test situations like this one.

I have Avira, but it has never alerted me to anything on ATS.

I also think that there is some ad(s) that may be the responsible for that, because they are targeted to the user location, for example (I see several ads in Portuguese, some in what they think is Portuguese :lol
, so while some people see them all the time other people never see them.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Joey Canoli
ATS needs to do something about it.

We are.

As previously mentioned in other threads, we're currently in the process of getting a third-party firm up and running with the task of scanning all ads that appear (from all networks) on ATS for potential problems. It ain't cheap, and it takes time to set up, so patience is appreciated.

However, my point stands about my PC experience on ATS -- no issues. However, keep in mind that I never hit any other site, nor do I get any email on that PC. I've always contended that malicious payloads are more likely to come via email than websites.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I see all ads and no pop-ups and only have the free version of AVG running, in the past 5 years or so I have encountered zero infections. I would advise removing your scare mongering "anti-bad-stuff software" and be wise as to what you might click on or download.

I trust that SO still dons his dusty latex leotard on occasions, and is continually working in the bowels of ATS to keep us as safe as possible.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

thanks SO - its never actually thrown up a warning - but if i leave it alone it can take upto 6 minuites to satisfy itself

i do however appreciate that my internet security does do thinks just to be seen to be earning its keep

i guess i can live with the situation as it doesnt happen all the time

top topics

join