It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are impressions really everything?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Our individual attributes are important. But why would that matter if a person can't see you for who you are? I want to ask the question because when I've acted myself on different occasions with people usually most of the time I get to be friends with them. Like this one time-- I just met a girl when I was talking to a friend of mine from a class, and I didn't know her from anywhere else and now I know her a little better and we talk on the bus (I use public transportation to get to my community college). I also talked to this one guy in a class of mine from last semester and we have gotten along, and, I said to him that we should hang out over the break and he said that would be no problem. Also, in another one of my classes I talked to a student I knew like from before and we got along pretty well. We started talking a bit after class and around school when I saw him there.

I don't mean to delve you into my personal life. But I used a few examples of when I was myself that I was able to get closer to other people. In other times when I've been unsuccessful with friends I think it's because I wasn't able to reveal to them the real me. That is, I wasn't able to really show some people that I knew that I was different from before. Like before in high-school I used to only express interest in video games and music and sometimes philosophy... but basically I didn't really come across presenting myself in the right way. Because of that I was unsuccessful in relationships. I wasn't really good at connecting with others, you could say.

But now I'm having more success just being more open and immediate when people need me. I try to just be myself. I try to act how I really am. I just wonder, are impressions really everything? Can you get a person to like you initially from the impression they give you? I was just thinking about this earlier... I hope someone here has gone through what I've gone through and can tell me what it is, or, that I'm doing something different, or, just if I'm right in that impressions make a difference.

I don't say that in a bad way. I was just into nerdy things. I am somewhat less of a nerd now... but like around those people I wasn't able to really get close to anyone because I just wasn't good at

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I think that once you get beyond the teen years and the masses following trends and giving into peer pressure people are more likely to accept you for who you are . Some people you won't ever jell with because you don't like some of there personality characteristics , lack of common interests or what ever other reasons .

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
No matter where you go, or who you meet, you are constantly giving a first impression, or better yet..a LASTING impression of yourself.
It is always best to be yourself.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Sincerity......when you can fake that; you got it made.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
axaxaxaxax i heard that sentence in the johny bravo cartoon,oo man u crack em up XD
its just that some girls/women dont look in a man so deep,and theyr the ones that we need impressions to matter. some girls can see throw the first impressions and epic date failiures XD
the point is if a girl likes you,your pretty much ok,she can forgive you not being perfect

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

That makes sense. People are a bit more mature when they grow older. That explains why I'm having better luck with friendships and that kind of thing.

reply to post by AccessDenied

I try to do that. I usually try to be myself. Sometimes it's difficult and then I end up having relationship problems or friendship problems though.

reply to post by whaaa

I disagree with your assertion. I have tried faking sincerity before. It's usually good to just be yourself. It's gotten me (faking sincerity) into a few situations I didn't want to be in.

reply to post by Stillalive

Right, but that's not where I was going with this thread. I was saying that when I didn't give people the right impression-- that is the true impression of myself I usually ended up in relationships or friendships that I didn't like. That is, I didn't come across really well. I know full well if you act abnormal in your first impression they'll see through that. I mean, I try not to give an untrue impression. But it helps if you act yourself during the first impression-- and you show them who you really are, as, with what I've been trying to do lately.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
i know what u mean brother,but i have lots of my real sides,just like crazy people do XD
and sometimes girls gets obssess by me,sometimes girls detest me.
so just find a girl who will like you and wont leave you alone,and if shes cute enough for you, we have a winner : D

new topics

top topics

join