It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milky Way Time Lapse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
A time lapse video was uploaded on youtube yesterday of the Milky Way. The footage was shot at Paranal laboratory in Chile.

I don't really have much else to say other than I enjoyed the video and thought others might also.

I am also including a few of my favorite videos of time lapse footage of the Milky Way taken at the Texas star party and some footage near the Gold coast of Queensland Australia.

Enjoy.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
hehe

and what is more amazing IS

we live in it!

LOL great vids

star and flag for the total beauty of it
i can see my mind on youtube!!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Watching the Milky Way roll by, you really get a sense of the 3d aspect of it. Watch it again paying attention to the dark rift in the middle. It is closest to us, and the edges are further away and you can see the two move by at different speeds, giving the 3d effect. Very nice!!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by 12GaugePermissionSlip

as i said the mad part is you happen to be just a par of that.. and that is one of a hundreded billion

lol and we are alone?

Nope.. nope NO no no noooo

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

Things like this only convince me that we are in fact ALONE!!
There is no way there is other life around, and even less chance its smarter than us...... just no way!!

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by svpwizard
reply to post by TV_Nation

Things like this only convince me that we are in fact ALONE!!
There is no way there is other life around, and even less chance its smarter than us...... just no way!!

For me things like this only convince me that we are not alone. The universe is so big it is pretty much impossible to comprehend. We may also live in a multiverse where there is more than one universe. I just find it too hard to believe that we are it... That just does not sit right with me.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Why is all that so visible?
Does anybody know?
I have never seen a night sky look like that.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by LASTofTheV8s

light pollution..

Street lights make the sky bright and makes the universe look crappy.. its a well known fact.

Thats why a lot of telecopes are in dark places or on moutin tops away from lights.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by 13579

lol and we are alone?

Exactly !!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13579

light pollution..

Street lights make the sky bright and makes the universe look crappy.. its a well known fact.

Thats why a lot of telecopes are in dark places or on moutin tops away from lights.
Hey.
Do you know how sad that is? I mean. It just hit me.
I'm a grown man, and I have never seen a night sky the way it is supposed to be seen. Just a clear, clean night sky.
How much does THAT suck?

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by LASTofTheV8s
Does anybody know?

The photographer is doing something that lets a lot more light into his camera. For example, look how brightly lit the observatories seem, even though this was filmed in the darkness of night.

The sky wouldn't look like that to your own eyes if you were there in person.

[edit on 1/4/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by LASTofTheV8s
Does anybody know?

The photographer is doing something that lets a lot more light into his camera. For example, look how brightly lit the observatories seem, even though this was filmed in the darkness of night.

The sky wouldn't look like that to your own eyes if you were there in person.

[edit on 1/4/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]
Oh. And, maybe even special film and stuff. I get it.
Still, I wonder if, a lot of the reason people, in more ancient times, were able to view so much of the heavens, and make such great observations, might have been because the skies were so much clearer in the past.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Yeah -- I'm sure high on that Chilean Mountaintop (the location of that observatory in the video), the sky is darker, the air is cleaner, and more stars are visible, just like it was 2000 or 3000 years ago.

posted on Jan, 4 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I feel for you man, this past fall I went way out into the wilderness and got the best view of the night sky I have ever witnessed. I live right outside of a city so I only get to see a tiny fraction of the stars that were out there.

It was amazing how many stars were visible with no light pollution. I'm talking tons of stars there was a star everywhere you looked. Very rewarding experience...

[edit on 4-1-2010 by TV_Nation]

new topics

top topics

join