It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Decade Prediction: Wooly Mammoth Steak for Dinner!!?? MMM...Extinct Beasts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Eight Ways In-Vitro Meat will Change Our Lives:

hplusmagazine.com...

"Future Flesh" is squatting on your plate. Are you nervous? Stab it with a fork. Sniff it. Bite! Chew, swallow. Congratulations! Relax and ruminate now because you're digesting a muscular invention that will massively impact the planet. Fake meat: burgers grown in beakers. Photo credit: Will Sanders Fake meat: burgers grown in beakers. Photo credit: Will Sanders In-Vitro Meat -- aka tank steak, sci fi sausage, petri pork, beaker bacon, Frankenburger, vat-grown veal, laboratory lamb, synthetic shmeat, trans-ham, factory filet, test tube tuna, cultured chicken, or any other moniker that can seduce the shopper's stomach -- will appear in 3-10 years as a cheaper, healthier, "greener" protein that's easily manufactured in a metropolis. Its entree will be enormous; not just food-huge like curry rippling through London in the 1970's or colonized tomatoes teaming up with pasta in early 1800's Italy. No. Bigger. In-Vitro Meat will be socially transformative, like automobiles, cinema, vaccines.

So what do you all think? Seems like a pretty interesting idea to me, and one that I hadn't really thought of before. This concept could do wonders for the earth, as well as for human nutrition. If implemented and tested in a thoughtful way, I really don't see the down side...well, maybe this:

Humans are animals, so every hipster will try Cannibalism. Perhaps we'll just eat people we don't like, as author Iain M. Banks predicted in his short story, "The State of the Art" with diners feasting on "Stewed Idi Amin." But I imagine passionate lovers literally eating each other, growing sausages from their co-mingled tissues overnight in tabletop appliances similar to bread-making machines. And of course, masturbatory gourmands will simply gobble their own meat.

Best,
Skunknuts

[edit on 1/1/2010 by skunknuts]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
You had me until I saw the cannibal side of it

As soon as we can clone a wholly I'd try it, heck why not?

Lab-created meat, yuck!

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
really hope this type of science makes it out even 75 % corrupt free

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kyle43

Yeah, for sure. That's the f-ing problem with technological advancements in general, and why we need a paradigm shift in terms of what we consider 'worth.'

Best,
Skunknuts

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Once a cannibal wass asked about how another human tastes he responded, "Ohhhh.... it depends. The taste varies from person to person."

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
i guess i'm showing cultural bias but cannibalism is gross.

however logically it should be very nutritious,i mean it has all you need to make human flesh because its human flesh.

i anxiously await this technology myself for regular steaks and stuff though.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Having raised my fair share of livestock I know that how the meat tastes has much to do with what the animal is fed. Think of the difference between corn fed and grass fed beef and you start to get some idea.

The texture and consistency of the meat is very much related to the physical activity of the animal. Such that more exercise is going to give you tougher meat; little or no activity will give you pasty mush.

I can only imagine that factory fillet will have about the same taste as a yummy chemical paste.

enjoy

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
doesnt kentucky fried chicken already do something like this

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
First there was Synth Ale now Synth Meat?

I'll take a Brontosaurus burger with a side of Villosoraptor balls (good for the libido you know)

I'll wait to taste

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
The overlooked problem is what about the animals? The animal population would need a new way to be culled. Like we could just let all the cows go
A little short sighted if you ask me. What would we do with all the "unnecessary" animals?

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
The overlooked problem is what about the animals? The animal population would need a new way to be culled. Like we could just let all the cows go
A little short sighted if you ask me. What would we do with all the "unnecessary" animals?

Well, if in-vitro meat was to take over the majority of protein consumed, there surely would be a period of ramping-up of production. In the mean time, fewer animals would be raised for the slaughterhouse. I don't think it would be too hard for the marketplace to regulate itself based on supply and demand....

Best,
Skunknuts

[edit on 1/2/2010 by skunknuts]

top topics

join