It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If one had superpowers how would he use it to change the world? *Serious Thread*

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by bigspud

Probably the fastest way to get peace back, even if mankind aint anymore. But from where to start? Your powers must be used carefully and you don't have the ability to destroy the root of the problem instantly.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

You got a point but here he just can't abandon the world. Plus you arent omiscient, so how would you buy that ship? And where would you find the money without causing a disaster?
More hard than we could think eh?

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

It is simple, how to avoid to be killed or become a guinea pig? To crush or kill them with his powers. Or another way would be to infiltrate their organisation, get to the chiefs and control them, make them change things/tell the truth to the people/disclosure what they know.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Yea you would be justice but who said your justice is The Justice? That wouldn't change anything. Eventually the ones you healed would go back on battlefield (if they were soldiers) and die. With great powers, one need to use it efficiently and not for petty things that are only a loss of time.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ThorinOak

Killing is part of life. You kill to survive or to protect something dear to you. Yea it is a bad thing in THE brainwashed people that fear anything violent. But violence is the key to freedom don't you know? If you don't want to think that, then you will stay a slave all your life.

It is hard to make the atrocities "worse" than it is and it was. With power to change thing, you could instead put an end to that endless chain of suffering and death. But that cannot be done without using strenght.

Killing yourself because you are immortal? AH! Why would you do such thing? Because you are weak and narrow minded maybe? There are an infinite amount of goals, even an immortal wouldnt have enough with his immortality to achieve all these goals.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by _damon

Wars would be useless. i would stop them all.

Id create prisons on the moon where offenders would be teleported with a thought. If a war broke out id teleport all soilders without their clothes to these prisons and distroy their machines. For males the first body part to be severed would be their genitals.

Somone who repeatedly harmed others would end up with no eyes or tounge... with the tendons in the arms and legs cut. They would live out the remainder of their lives in a wheel chair cared for by their loved ones, or the moon prison staff, untill they are deemed worthy of paroll.

Not single person would ever want to go through more than one of those cycles.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
So as opposed to fixing the cause of the wars, you instead would punish the grunt that gets sent to do the dirty work? Say a man is forced into a situation where his family will die if he does not fight, and you plan to send him to a celestial body with lethal temperature extremes on either side without any sort of clothes, and take away his ability to have children? Where do you draw the line of who deserves such things?

This is why I'd just stay out of the whole ordeal. Plans like those are dangerous and bordering on malevolent, and I'd have no part of such things. I'm sure you all know the saying, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by cyberdude78

You got a point. But it is not about "whats good or bad". The goal here is to make the world livable again, and that doesnt mean for mankind's sake. If the guy with powers must kill to get balance back, he will do it. That's why i wrote in the first post: "to stop being human". When you think like a human, you are limited. Mankind have free will, he doesnt ask to others if he can do that or not, he just does it.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
So as opposed to fixing the cause of the wars, you instead would punish the grunt that gets sent to do the dirty work? Say a man is forced into a situation where his family will die if he does not fight, and you plan to send him to a celestial body with lethal temperature extremes on either side without any sort of clothes, and take away his ability to have children? Where do you draw the line of who deserves such things?

This is why I'd just stay out of the whole ordeal. Plans like those are dangerous and bordering on malevolent, and I'd have no part of such things. I'm sure you all know the saying, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

All he has to do is make his problem known to me. I would be patrolling the world. It would be a prison on the moon were every inmate would would be known by me. Both would be worlds of no sickness and no ageing or death... unless one made the choice to die or to age.

You unfortunatly are not looking at this logicaly. If i wanted to pretend as if i was speaking to somone extremely ignorant i would first start with the teaching of the eniglish alphabet. Im sorry i assumed you could fill in gaps.... i didnt feel like writing a novel.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
What I was getting at is that you don't have to die in order for those kinds of temperature extremes to factor in. Put an exposed person on the light side of the moon and prevent him from dieing and you've successfully sent a man to hell. The light side temperature is above the boiling point of water, and they've recorded temperatures as low as twenty six degrees above absolute zero on the dark side near the north pole. Given that there's also close to no atmosphere on the moon these prisoners wouldn't even be able to scream. My point is that such punishments are extreme and malevolent for a policy that was presented as absolute.

You specifically said all soldiers, and people that repeatedly harmed others. But you make no mention of how you would determine who's guilty, or who's right and who's wrong. And once again, why punish those who have to fight to survive? It's like treating the symptoms but not the underlying disease.

Could we ever stop simply being human? How would we know that we've transcended the human condition? Is it one of those things that we'll just know when the time comes? Because the human mind has a way of making those moments occur at the wrong time. Perhaps the solution is to simply stop being human, but such a solution can never come from a human since such a solution would be inherently tainted by humanity.

Just give me Wolverine superpowers and I'll go be a stunt driver and do fun stuff like that for my extended life. Watch Bruce Almighty or the Futurama episode Godfellas and you'll see why I have no intention of being an armchair God.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by _damon

I'm not talking about "justified" killing but rather that which could be avoided (or you would rather not due.) THOSE types of decisions would eventually erode, at the very least, your "Humanity." Eventually you would stop seeing a person as a person and instead see people as a "whole" singularity. What's one more body among the foundations? (Think of Mengele's view of his patients.)

But perhaps killing myself would be a bit hasty. After stopping humanity from, at least immediate self destruction I would withdraw myself from human affairs.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Wish I had teleportation.... I'd teleport the rothchilds n' rockefellers on a desert island in the middle of nowhere with all their trillions and leave them there... and make sure nothing get even close to that damn island for the next 100 years...

<< 1   >>

join