It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Hampshire now 5th state to allow same-sex marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

New Hampshire now 5th state to allow same-sex marriage

www.cnn.com

After 19 years together Linda Murphy and Donna Swartwout tied the knot at 12:01 a.m. Friday, when New Hampshire's law legalizing same-sex marriage took effect.

They were among several couples early Friday who married under a full moon on the steps of the New Hampshire Statehouse in Concord.

At midnight, New Hampshire became the fifth state to allow same-sex couples to marry, joining Connecticut, Vermont, Massachusetts and Iowa.

The couple, who live in Hudson, New Hampshire, said they wanted to be married as soon as they could.

"We were thrilled and proud of New Hampshire ... it w
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Seems 'funny' that in 2010 only 5 states in the U.S. allow same-sex marriage...

Seems people are more comfortable with sending their children off to war to fight and die for the world bankers than to approve of them marrying someone of the same sex...

Hopefully 2010 will be the year for equal rights for all people of the world....an end to the senseless wars...and unity of all people in all nations...

PEACE and LOVE...

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I'm not surprised that 4 out of the 5 states that legalized gay marriage are in New England
...the rest of the country will eventually catch up

It was legalized 6 years ago here in Boston and.... it's not a big deal, the sky did not fall, no earthquake etc... just a bunch of people in love were able to get married. It's interesting to note that Massachusetts and the rest of New England have the lowest divorce rates in the country.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Q: How many states where same sex marriage was put up for a popular vote of the voting population, 31 in total, have passed it?

A: Zero

All 5 states that currently have same sex marriage were all done without the voters' approval.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I'm saddened that New Hampshire feels it has to be involved with the interpersonal relationships of its residents.

A true step towards freedom and equality would have been NH backin off of marriage altogether. The state has no business either recognizing or refusing to recognize any personal contracts I may be involved with with any other person.

This entire notion of recognizing marriage gay or otherwise is an illusion of equality and freedom designed to pacify the masses and discourage the seeking and finding of real liberty.

The very idea of any outside entity having an opinion either way of my personal affairs is disgusting and offensive.

Until these "activists" with tunnel vision figure that out nothing has been won.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Your beloved Constitution allows Homosexuals to pursuit happiness ..

Is their RIGHT as citizens ..

There is no need to vote (for or against it) .. is there read it ..

[edit on 1-1-2010 by Polynomial C]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Polynomial C
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Your beloved Constitution allows Homosexuals to pursuit happiness ..

Is their RIGHT as citizens ..

There is no need to vote (for or against it) .. is there read it ..

[edit on 1-1-2010 by Polynomial C]

Regulation of marriage is a part of states rights, not a federal one. You ought to read the U.S. Constitution yourself.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I've always felt it was a silly problem. In my mind, there are 2 marital institutions. The civil institution of marriage that gives all the rights and responsibilities such as transfer of property, next of kin rights, medical decision rights, taxation rights and the religious institution of marriage where whatever religious deity of your choice sanctions the marriage.

There is absolutely no reason why a couple should not be able to transfer property without limit, be in the hospital room with a SO or enjoy the step up in basis (taxation) benefit of marriage just because they are of the same sex.

At the same time, protection must be given to churches that do not endorse same sex marriage. For example, you can't force the Southern Baptists to marry a same sex couple if they don't want to. There are plenty of other denominations that would be happy to oblige. There's a current case of a wedding photographer being sued because he did not want to photograph the wedding of two women. Get over it, and find one who wants your money.

So, even though I'm conservative in nature, I would never fit in the (R) tent because I don't care if two men marry.

top topics

join