It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Balls of light/lanterns in HD, for Comparison & analyzing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Good evening! hope your all having a good start to 2010!

OK, straight to the point, I got some great footage of Chinese lanterns in formation from a distance With a Sony camcorder.. which look similar to some UFO videos flying in formation.

Hopefully this Video could be a reference for anyone filming/Photographing U.F.O balls of light.

Against the 100's upon 100's of lights in the sky video's, we can better exclude/confirm the possibility of something more "heavenly"

THIS is what Chinese lanterns look like from a distance........
open in web browser and click HD for best quality.

take note of the colour ...Flicker...& movement for comparison to other more credible "balls of light" videos. which depicts a more solid whitish object with no flickr.

there are plenty of videos on here that have been labeled Chinese lanterns but don't have the characteristics of actual Chinese lanterns

I took this at 12:15 just after it turned 2010 after the fireworks that's how I know they were lanterns. other wise I would be screaming UFO!!!!!!!!

I cut the boring audio out & replaced it with one of my songs I Produced back in 2005 to spice it up a bit.

Enjoy! & bookmark the Video for reference purposes when analyzing

also, I took some Pics with my SLR camera, with a High ISO speed.
www.flickr.com...
(to view larger click "all sises button" above the image.

Keep looking up!

[edit on 1-1-2010 by TrentReznor]

[edit on 1-1-2010 by TrentReznor]

[edit on 2-1-2010 by TrentReznor]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Starred and flagged. Excellent work. Early last year I was roused out of a particularly relaxing bath by a friend claiming to have seen a UFO, taking a short ride in their car while wearing a dressing gown, and finding one of these buggers. I can see why they take people by surprise though, because it's so easy to get the size wrong by under or overestimating the distance, and thinking they're huge. Likewise air currents above ground can give the impression they're powered in the absence of a breeze. It wasn't until I pointed out it was much lower than they thought that they became cognisant of the illusion, and more aware of the flame like flicker. Turned out to be from a party nearby.

So the more examples the better
. Thank-you.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Thanks!

I'll Upload it to the ATS media , so it doesn't get lost.

I've took loads of videos in the past that have just turned out to be nothing more than a balloon!

and I have seen Balls of light really close up, that must have been of ET origin . but far away its hard to tell what it is! at least I will know which are lanterns now.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
TrentReznor (I wish it were the real Trent Reznor lol!), in contrast to your video and for future reference, I'd like to show what the real, "authentic" balls of light look like from a distance. Please take a look here (captured by ATS member ufoorbhunter): www.dailymotion.com...

I have always said that the difference between the lanterns and the real UFO orbs is that, with the lanterns, you can more or less see a little flame in the center, and with the real UFO orbs, you see an entire mass of that flickers or pulsates the colours from the electromagnetic light spectrum (colours from a rainbow).

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
NIN sucks arse, but the vid here is grand. lol. cheers.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by hermantinkly

I agree

I have seen a two and they were about the size of my thumb nail if i put it at arms length in the sky, solid oval ball's moving on its own accord. one actually stopped behind a very low cloud and waited for the other to approach, then both left. slightly pulsating. and occasionally bobbing up & down. nothing like lanterns.

I think Lanterns are quite distinctive once you know what your looking for.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Hmm... I may have to re-think the lantern theory those look a bit different to the lights I saw in the sky.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by CapnAJ

Good! , you manage to take any pictures?

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TrentReznor

Yes, but they are unbelievably bad. They are in the Holland thread.

I would still go for the lantern theory if it weren't for the way that they moved and appeared compared to videos/photo's online.

If anyone could produce some more info on flight dynamics of lanterns, then this could settle this for me once and for all. I do understand that wind direction is not constant, or in the same direction at all elevations, but when you can observe the direction of both wind direction and object direction in relation to one another it does leave you wondering.

I observed the redish/white light approach from ENE, touching the base of the clouds (that appeared to be traveling from the N to S). The lights appeared to travel in a very straight line and moved fairly quickly out of view to WSW, maybe taking a minute or two to come into view and go out of view. They appeared over the city from a distance and not from the same point of origin, two I observed passed behind a tower block that is 2 km's SE of me, while others passed over our apartment.

My initial thought was that it was the military flying low over the city in the cloud base, but they lacked normal identification/navigation lights.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by CapnAJ

Well , I would have to say that the lanterns did not get very high before extinguishing themselves, I'd say they got 300 ft high before they went out with around 10-15 min flight time. don't know if that was due to the cold weather here atm.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrentReznor
reply to post by CapnAJ

Well , I would have to say that the lanterns did not get very high before extinguishing themselves, I'd say they got 300 ft high before they went out with around 10-15 min flight time. don't know if that was due to the cold weather here atm.

With the ones I've seen they didn't seem to get too high either, and were pretty distinctive once you're tuned in to what they look like, as you've pointed out earlier ITT. Whether, given the varieties available, that's the same for all of them is another question. If their flight characteristics are common it could be the case, but I am interested in the flight characteristics of tea lights versus other heat sources. I've seen several different sources of heat in sky lanterns here in the UK:

www.google.co.uk...

I'm half tempted to buy some with differing combustibles and let them go in a variety of conditions just to get an idea of whether they do behave the same. My gut feeling is that they're potentially dangerous, and I live near farms, so it's not something I'd do. (not least that I don't want to be disturbed by local friends asking me to come and have a look at the UFO they've just seen).

I believe that people see unexplained stuff in the sky, I really do (although I don't buy that they're ultimately unexplainable or alien), and I think threads like this do a huge service to investigation of unexplained aerial phenomena by helping to sort wheat from chaff.

If I get a chance film/photo any this year I'll add to this thread. Your stills are great hand-held shots, the 30D is, and remains, a wonderful camera (I had one for about a year, great build, excellent burst mode, typical excellent Canon colour reproduction/detail resolution), and dialling in -1EV to reduce shutter speed/correct for night exposure was a smart thing to do. One thing I've found useful at night in the past is the continuous/burst shot mode with the 30D, cause it's got a fairly fast burst mode, and I've found about 1/5 to 1/10 shots is near pin sharp (including from a moving car
).

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by jackphotohobby
*SNIP*

Good plan. Would be great to see more footage from varying conditions, that way this can quickly and confidently be explained.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrentReznor
take note of the colour ...Flicker...& movement for comparison to other more credible "balls of light" videos. which depicts a more solid whitish object with no flickr.
Unfortunately, the colour may be different in different conditions and when filmed with different cameras and/or settings.

A camera that "sees" better in the dark may show stronger and brighter, lights, a different white point may show them white instead of orange, etc.

Even the flicker may be different, either because of the lanterns' construction or because of the camera.

Either way, it's always good to have known references to use for similar videos.

top topics

join